HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Uh oh, there will be a public outcry...
What about public support? I sure wish SSP forumers would go to any such a public hearing to voice our support.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 1:52 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I don't think people that are on the other side of Grandview cut should have a say, period.
That last rendering shows an appropriate density for that triangle.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I don't think people that are on the other side of Grandview cut should have a say, period.
But, but, but densification leads to gentrification which leads to hipsters and organic craft cafes having to move elsewhere.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
That last rendering shows an appropriate density for that triangle.
Regarding the cut...that waste of space should be capped and covered. Preferably using the surface as park space. Why that has not happened yet is beyond me. They dont even have to do it all at once and can phase it, starting with the areas around Broadway and Commercial first.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
man, would be amazing if they could somehow manage to get that pass the anti-development types. imagine it being built with ground-level commercial throughout, would be a new commercial pole for the entire city.
I'd consider this node more important than Marine Gateway or Oakridge. That triangle should have been built out a decade ago.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 7:38 AM
Registered Loser

I'm one of the ~40 members of the GW Citizens Assembly working with the city on the new plan -- feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 9:16 PM

Seems that this is moving forward. Little Italy and a bike lane coming. No idea about the towers.

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/1...ed-for-change/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 12:33 AM

I don't understand why the developer had to be so sneaky about the high-rise tower. I think the public would be more receptive about the idea if it was being made transparent from the very beginning.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 8:22 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

So glad about the separated bike lane. I hope they can extend it up to Adanac too--that's as far as it needs to go. To be honest, I never saw it going all the way down to 14th, but hallelujah! Now all the E-W cycling connections on the drive have a chance of being connected.

For reference, the Commercial Dr. cross-streets with bike buttons along the proposed separated bike lane are as follows:

-14th (official bike route)
-10th (official bike route)
-North Grandview Hwy (official bike route -- CVG/BC Parkway)
-6th
-4th (west side)
-3rd

and hopefully later,

-Grant
-Charles
-Napier (east side)
-Adanac (Official Bike Route)

Out of interest, and for the sake of those living on either side of the drive, does anyone know which side of Commercial the separated bike lane will be on?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 6:07 AM

If you've read the report/recommendations from the Citizens' Assembly, you may have noticed that their vision for the Commercial-Broadway Station area is quite conservative.

Well there's a new group that thinks it's still way too much. They are demanding a maximum of three storeys on Broadway, between Victoria and Nanaimo.

http://members.shaw.ca/threestoreysmax/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
If you've read the report/recommendations from the Citizens' Assembly, you may have noticed that their vision for the Commercial-Broadway Station area is quite conservative.

Well there's a new group that thinks it's still way too much. They are demanding a maximum of three storeys on Broadway, between Victoria and Nanaimo.

http://members.shaw.ca/threestoreysmax/
For a major skytrain stop this is beyond unreasonable. Towers aren't the end of the world, I wish the Nimby's would realize this.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 7:27 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Here's what the plan looks like at this point, probably not going to change all that much before it heads to council. Overall I think it's pretty good although could use some tweeking. Hate to see the city continue to eat away at the industrial zones lands.

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/grandv...plan-draft.pdf

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 1:51 PM

Thanks for the update. It's amazing to see the population of that area so stagnant for so long. It has the potential for huge growth.

The potential zoning on Hastings reads "future rapid transit" to me.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 3:28 PM

Finally the city is going to clean up Hastings on Commercial. It's also nice to see there the buildings will be directly on the street, as the zoning calls for commercial podiums.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 3:54 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
For a major skytrain stop this is beyond unreasonable. Towers aren't the end of the world, I wish the Nimby's would realize this.
Towers are not everything, either. You can have high density without them. Look at Tokyo. Very few tall towers, lots of mid-rises. London and Paris are also both densely populated cities with few super tall towers. Towers may have their place, but you can't deny that in a city like Vancouver, with its overcast days, they cast a considerable shadow.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Towers are not everything, either. You can have high density without them. Look at Tokyo. Very few tall towers, lots of mid-rises. London and Paris are also both densely populated cities with few super tall towers. Towers may have their place, but you can't deny that in a city like Vancouver, with its overcast days, they cast a considerable shadow.
Yeah. The neighbourhood acts concerned about shadowing but the reality is mid rise cast more shadow on the pedestrian realm than a tall point tower, where its shadow is cast more on buildings across the street.

This drawn out OCP process is pointless.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
You're absolutely right that you don't need towers for density, however, low-rises still cast shadows, albeit fat and short ones. I also think the people who drafted this plan took that to heart as the only real place I see towers in this plan is the Safeway site (and that is for economic reasons).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 8:09 PM

Shadows are no big deal. Plenty of light goes through all directions in the winter anyways. And in the summer I definitely want to avoid direct sunlight.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 9:04 PM

What an absolute joke. 3-4 FSR surrounding Commercial-Broadway station?

I couldn't care less about tower sizes out here, but 3-4 FSR around one of the busiest transit nodes in the city is a disgrace.

The planners caved to the NIMBYs and the affordability of Vancouver and as a result its residents suffer.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
What an absolute joke. 3-4 FSR surrounding Commercial-Broadway station?

I couldn't care less about tower sizes out here, but 3-4 FSR around one of the busiest transit nodes in the city is a disgrace.

The planners caved to the NIMBYs and the affordability of Vancouver and as a result its residents suffer.
To me, that just means that developer will buy out the strata / building in future and tear it down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues