HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Westjet released their winter schedule update which has some new frequencies for YVR. Decent beefing up of existing flights but nothing too exciting. YVR-HUX is the only new service and it's already served by Transat. Also not in this release but it's looking like YVR-MCO is getting cut down by one frequency per week.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wes...lco-2017-07-24
As you say, respectable, but not overwhelming. I would have thought Orlando would be increased. And Miami always seems neglected, although it is apparently the most
underserved route from YVR to the States. My other question is (and it's rhetorical more than anything else) ... When / If will Westjet go "bigtime" with its 787s? In a few years, I guess.

Old Posted Today, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
As you say, respectable, but not overwhelming. I would have thought Orlando would be increased. And Miami always seems neglected, although it is apparently the most
underserved route from YVR to the States. My other question is (and it's rhetorical more than anything else) ... When / If will Westjet go "bigtime" with its 787s? In a few years, I guess.
I'm disappointed with the MCO news. I find it hard to believe that there is only demand for one flight per week. I guess everyone here prefers California?

WestJet's 787's will be delivered starting the first quarter of 2019 until the end of 2021. That's only for the 10 firm orders. There are options for 10 more. I can't believe that they aren't leasing a few other wide body aircraft to better cut their teeth on long haul service between then and now.

Old Posted Today, 3:36 PM

Statistics Canada. Table 401-0059 - Air passenger origin and destination, transborder journeys, traffic volumes ranked by city-pair, exceeding 4,000 outbound plus inbound passengers, occasional (number unless otherwise noted), CANSIM (database).

If the Florida O&D was more consolidated, could work. But yeah, 3 times a week would absorb all of the MCO O&D.

Old Posted Today, 4:09 PM

don't forget AC rouge will also start twice weekly direct flights YVR-MCO this winter.

my preference is california/arizona > florida. you lose 1 day of vacation time flying east, only to regain it back when you return home anyway...

Old Posted Today, 9:45 PM

Good article about YVR's Chinese links in CNN of all places. Little blurb near the end drops a hit at a new route/carrier coming:

Quote:
Hong Kong Airlines might be the most recent carrier to choose Vancouver as a destination, but it won't be the last. Richmond hints that another Chinese carrier will announce service to YVR "later this year."
http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/va...hub/index.html

Doubt this is the colourful rumour Johnny alluded to in the past as a new route to China, even a new airline, does not seem game changing to me. My guess is Hainan to Tianjin.

Old Posted Today, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Good article about YVR's Chinese links in CNN of all places. Little blurb near the end drops a hit at a new route/carrier coming:

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/va...hub/index.html

Doubt this is the colourful rumour Johnny alluded to in the past as a new route to China, even a new airline, does not seem game changing to me. My guess is Hainan to Tianjin.
What Chinese airlines do we NOT have now anyways?

Taking into account the ones that have the aircraft to serve trans-pac service.

Hainan (technically served via HK Airlines)?
Juneyao Airlines ( 787's on order)

Old Posted Today, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
What Chinese airlines do we NOT have now anyways?

Taking into account the ones that have the aircraft to serve trans-pac service.

Hainan (technically served via HK Airlines)?
Juneyao Airlines ( 787's on order)
New airlines are popping up in China every month, and existing ones all want to do long-haul, so...

On top of the ones you listed that have planes (on order) capable of serving YVR, and the hubs they operating out of:

Tianjin Airlines (GD) - A330 - TSN
Okay Airways (BK) - B789 on order - TSN/XIY/CSX
Shanghai Airlines (FM) - B763 - PVG
Tibet Airlines (TV) - A330 - CTU
Donghai Airlines (DZ) - B789 on order - SZX
Lucky Air (8L) - A330 - KMG
Ruili Airlines (DR) - B789 on order - KMG

And of course, some other airlines not on the list could also got wide-body planes from their parent airline to start long haul right away after they obtain license without actually placing any order, like the case of Tianjin Airlines....

Old Posted Today, 10:21 PM

Also Shenzhen Airlines and Tianjin Airlines, which I think is another HNA subsidiary.

Guess it would have to be one of those four? And really just Hainan, Shenzhen, or Tianjin because Juneyao only flies out of PVG and China Eastern already has that route.

Shame because Juneyao has a really cool livery, would be great to see at YVR.

Old Posted Today, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Also Shenzhen Airlines and Tianjin Airlines, which I think is another HNA subsidiary.

Guess it would have to be one of those four? And really just Hainan, Shenzhen, or Tianjin because Juneyao only flies out of PVG and China Eastern already has that route.

Shame because Juneyao has a really cool livery, would be great to see at YVR.
Oh yeah, forgot about Shenzhen Airlines... there are just too many now...

And while HO cannot operate PVG-YVR, something like PVG-HRB-YVR is considered a different route and should be allowed

Old Posted Today, 10:31 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Shenzhen is an Air China subsidiary and doesn't have fleet to support Vancouver.

Not directly related, but interestingly Cathay Dragon (which is the short/medium-haul division of Cathay Pacific, thus partially owned by Air China) received a very unusual approval from US DOT to operate sixth freedom flights (i.e. Hong Kong - LA - New York - Hong Kong, where they have rights to carry passengers and freight between LA - New York) for one year temporarily. It's unusual as the US is generally extremely protective but it would be more unusual for Cathay Dragon not to cease on this opportunity. If this is the case, we might even see long-haul Cathay Dragon operations to begin replacing some Cathay Pacific frequencies given cheaper cost of operation and more cost competitiveness against HX (and even AC even though they are for now partners).

Old Posted Today, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Shenzhen is an Air China subsidiary and doesn't have fleet to support Vancouver.
They got A330 on order...

The original plan was to have CA operating long-hual and ZH short-hual, similar arrangement as MU long-hual and FM short-haul out of PVG. But then with CZ got MF going long-hual, and HU expands like crazy with probably more than 10 subsidies all aiming for long-hual all over the places and taking over route rights and passengers, I don't think CA and MU want to stick with their original strategy anymore. Both subsidies ordered wide-body planes last year.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure