HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:11 AM

But, opening in November of this year? Have they even started?

And 200 feet... that'll be like the tallest.. thing in Utah County, no?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:31 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
But, opening in November of this year? Have they even started?

And 200 feet... that'll be like the tallest.. thing in Utah County, no?
I think it might just be the tallest. And yes, November of this year for phase one.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:36 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
So... The Outlets at Traverse Mountain is well on it's way to completion. I hadn't realized that it is scheduled to be open in November of this year. It will include a 200 ft tall (!!!!) LED sign. Las Vegas style. Here is a conceptual drawing:

Here are some of the stores (unofficial) that are expected to open:

• Adidas
• Aeropostale
• Banana Republic
• Bass
• Calvin Klein
• Carter's
• Charlotte Russe
• Chico's
• Children's Place
• Coach
• Cole Haan
• GAP
• Gymboree
• Hanes
• Izod
• J. Crew
• Johnny Rockets
• Jones New York
• Journeys
• Kasper
• Le Creuset
• Levi's
• LOFT
• Nike
• OshKosh B'gosh
• Polo Ralph Lauren
• Reebok
• Samsonite
• Tommy Hilfiger
• Van Heusen
• Vans
• Vitamin World
• Wilson's Leather
• Zumiez
That sign is freaking awesome. If Im not mistaken this sign will be the tallest sign in the state that I know of. I do know the area, but I have no idea what the layout of the mall will look like nor do I have any idea to what the mall design looks like. Are there any renderings out yet for this development?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
....it will include a 200 ft tall (!!!!) led sign. Las vegas style. Here is a conceptual drawing:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gross !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:50 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I don't hate the idea of it, and I completely understand the percieved need for it. The stores are so far away from the freeway and not really in line of sight, so the sign is acting as the actraction piece rather than the building itself.

I don't have an issue with it, and it does seem to have a nice look to it.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:57 PM

I think it's pretty hideous, but I dont' know much about anything. With everything else that's going in the northern end of Utah County, it'll be one more piece of nasty.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:35 PM

I cannot understand what Lehi is thinking. The sign is hideous and disgusting. It only increases my desire to not go shopping.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 2:57 PM

Adobe appeals Lehi's OK to five-story electronic billboard

Lehi and Adobe are engaged in a careful dance, hoping to avoid a legal battle over an enormous freeway sign...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:12 PM

Utah Lake making a comeback

utahlake.gov

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-comeback.html

By Steve Fidel, Deseret News

SARATOGA SPRINGS — A century ago Utah Lake was a destination spot dotted with leisure resorts, a jewel surrounded by mountains. But a series of unsavory events decade after decade turned the lake into something to stay away from...

...But now, after decades of pushing people away, Utah Lake just might be staging a comeback:

• Work is under way to rid the lake of 40 million pounds of troublesome carp.

• Unwanted plant life is being cleared away, making way for new shoreline access.

• The steel mill by the lake and its smokestacks are gone, with Geneva now a memory.

• Perhaps most importantly, efforts under way are designed to turn the lake from its murky brown water to blue again, necessary to overcome the lake's negative reputation.

With a community like Saratoga Springs pushing for a lakefront lifestyle, it just may be that Utah Lake’s time has finally arrived...

utahlake.gov

Last edited by delts145; May 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:16 PM

That would be good. Utah Lake really is such a treasure, but it needs to be treated as such. And Utah County really needs all the natural beauty it can get to counter the terrible way the cities down there are built, excepting Provo. That atrocious sign in Lehi is just the latest example of the suburban dream... nightmare.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:41 PM

My wife and I were discussing this the other day. Utah lake is a huge lake and hardly anyone even notices it. I mean, it's bigger than Bear Lake which is a hugely popular destination. Bear Lake feel large to me whenever I visit, yet I live right on the north shore of Utah Lake and never think twice about it. It would be nice if Utah Lake became more of a destination.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 7:00 PM

The possibilities for the lake are wonderful to imagine if it can be cleaned and beautified and the people of Utah County and the Wasatch Front will embrace it. I've always been dumbfounded that all the development in Utah County avoids the shoreline. Once it's more desirable, I can imagine cool boardwalks with eateries and shopping and housing, and docks and sail boats and all that. It would be fantastic.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 9:14 PM
Bring out the cranes...

My wife and I were driving around Utah Lake a few weeks back. I don't know too much about Utah Lake and was wounding if the lake even has any beaches. I didn't see any. Kind of seems like a waste that we have such a wonderful lake that seems like it doesn't really get used.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
The possibilities for the lake are wonderful to imagine if it can be cleaned and beautified and the people of Utah County and the Wasatch Front will embrace it. I've always been dumbfounded that all the development in Utah County avoids the shoreline. Once it's more desirable, I can imagine cool boardwalks with eateries and shopping and housing, and docks and sail boats and all that. It would be fantastic.
I'm glad development has avoided the shoreline because it now gives us an opportunity to have a lake-side running and biking trail! Let's keep the shores public if we can!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:52 AM

One of the reasons that Utah Lake is not used as much is because of how shallow it is in many areas. This makes it easier for plant life / algae to grow and also makes it a problem for boaters. Hence why you won't see nearly as many boaters there as you do at lakes that aren't even as big. While it may be cost prohibitive to completely remedy this, if people were to take enough interest, the late could be cleaned up quite a bit and used by smaller boats that don't need as much depth and it could really be great.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 1:23 AM
The Drifter

Dredge it and double its water carrying capacity, now you have space for larger boats. Then, you also have more depth for a ferry to travel the lake, instead of an ugly bridge that only serves to cut the lake into 2 pieces. The article speaks of making Utah Lake more inviting to people and I really don't think a bridge will do that in any way. Keep the lake to boats and reclaimed beaches. Lets keep the damn car off the lake.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
My wife and I were driving around Utah Lake a few weeks back. I don't know too much about Utah Lake and was wounding if the lake even has any beaches. I didn't see any. Kind of seems like a waste that we have such a wonderful lake that seems like it doesn't really get used.
Nope, there are no beaches... well, none that I would call beaches anyway. It's mostly muddy, rocky, or weed infested all the way around. I vaguely recall years ago attempting to set up chairs and a canopy on shore, and there were so many bugs that we gave up.

I go to Utah Lake all the time in the summer. My family usually goes boating every 1-2 weeks, and that's usually where we go. Contrary to the last post, I don't see the vegetation as a deterrent to big boats, but more so the other way around (it does make the water a little dirty though, and that is a deterrent to many boaters big & small alike). Because there are no beaches, small boats can be unpleasant, and it makes more sense to just take them to Jordanelle or Willard Bay where there are beaches.

That said, I don't understand why Utah Lake isn't more popular. I suggested it to some neighbors last summer who had been going to Jordanelle, and they loved it. Utah Lake is so much closer than Willard Bay, and much warmer, smoother, larger, and easier to get to than Jordanelle. The boat ramps are somewhat obscure, and the areas around shore aren't pretty (there's a garbage processing center near one boat ramp, and it stinks). Frontrunner will go very close to the lake, and it could have a great view if some of the vegetation was tamed.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Nope, there are no beaches... well, none that I would call beaches anyway. It's mostly muddy, rocky, or weed infested all the way around. I vaguely recall years ago attempting to set up chairs and a canopy on shore, and there were so many bugs that we gave up.

I go to Utah Lake all the time in the summer. My family usually goes boating every 1-2 weeks, and that's usually where we go. Contrary to the last post, I don't see the vegetation as a deterrent to big boats, but more so the other way around (it does make the water a little dirty though, and that is a deterrent to many boaters big & small alike). Because there are no beaches, small boats can be unpleasant, and it makes more sense to just take them to Jordanelle or Willard Bay where there are beaches.

That said, I don't understand why Utah Lake isn't more popular. I suggested it to some neighbors last summer who had been going to Jordanelle, and they loved it. Utah Lake is so much closer than Willard Bay, and much warmer, smoother, larger, and easier to get to than Jordanelle. The boat ramps are somewhat obscure, and the areas around shore aren't pretty (there's a garbage processing center near one boat ramp, and it stinks). Frontrunner will go very close to the lake, and it could have a great view if some of the vegetation was tamed.
As far as my comment goes more toward the algae, but there are some areas that you can get your prop tangled up a bit....at least we did a couple of times growing up. Nothing that ruins anything, just a slight pain to clean it off at times.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:56 AM

Huh. My parents have an inboard and I don't think we've ever noticed algae on the prop. I guess that could be a problem for super deep hulls.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Huh. My parents have an inboard and I don't think we've ever noticed algae on the prop. I guess that could be a problem for super deep hulls.
Sorry, no algae is a problem for people skiing and just on the boat itself, in some of the shallower areas the prop (in the past...maybe all the carp cleaned it out completely.....) would get into some of the vegetation growing, usually it is avoidable if you are paying attention though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West