HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 8:36 PM

Canmore Construction Thread

With so much development going on in Canmore, located 45 minutes West of Calgary, it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on the area.

Here is a list of what's in the area right now:

RESORT MULTI FAMILY
Copperstone Resort
www.copperstoneresort.com

Blackstone Lodge
www.assuredhomes.com/canmore

Silvercreek Lodge
www.silvercreeklodge.ca

Lodges at Canmore
www.lodgesatcanmore.com

The Ridge
www.theridgeatcanmore.com

Solara Resort
www.solararesort.com

Bighorn Mountain Lodge
www.bighorncanmore.com

RESIDENTIAL MULTI FAMILY
Paintbrush Ridge
www.paintbrushridge.com

Timberline Lodges
www.alpinehomescanada.com

Trailside Lodges
www.alpinehomescanada.com

Wilderness Ridge (Lodge)
www.wildernessridge.ca

Wilderness Ridge (Chalet)
www.wildernessridge.ca

Serenity Ridge
www.swancanada.com

Rundle Cliffs Lodge
www.springcreekmv.com

Moraine Lodge
www.springcreekmv.com

Symphony
www.owntherockies.ca

Reniassance
www.renaissancecanmore.com

Stone Ridge
www.stoneridgecanmore.com

Versant
www.gourmetmountainliving.com

Last edited by atlas_inc; May 14, 2008 at 8:10 PM. Reason: Updates

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 9:03 PM
Change is good

this thread is nothing without the following items

1) renderings
2) links to renderings and more info on these projects.

I'm also hoping this thread wont spawn other smaller alberta city threads...

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 9:05 PM
mañana is my busiest day

"With so much development going on in Canmore, located 45 minutes East of Calgary, it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on the area."

... you mean west of Calgary? Get out the atlas, Atlas.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 10:20 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post

1) renderings

Indeed. Despite my fuss about the title early in the thread, the Tier II City thread has worked out nicely. It should be stickied. (why they have that forum addition thread still stickied is beyond me)

Flickr

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 10:44 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Why?

If they have multi-level structures being built, can they not be discussed? I mean, St. Albert is getting highrises, Red deer is getting a highrise or two and there are rumours of a highrise going up in Fort Mac. I'm sure if we even bothered to expand the discussion to include these cities, that this forum would have more to talk about. They might not get stickied but a directory might be had with all the links to the towns and the sort.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 11:18 PM
Majestic

Not one of those cities can sustain a conversation. There simply isn't enough going on. We have a place already for those. It's the Tier II thread, which I just mentioned.

Smaller threads for each of these cities would be rather pointless. It just adds forum clutter.

Flickr

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 11:33 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Meh, all I know is that the Grande Prairie Construction thread on SSC is the 3rd most busy thread on the Prairie forum.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 11:33 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

"Forum clutter"?

Um... I don't buy that argument.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 3:56 AM
Kevin Folds Five

There is currently over a billion dollars worth of planned construction going into Canmore... some of the stuff is very interesting.

*I say a billion with Tongue in cheek because I don't have actuals to back it up - I just have that figure in my head from something I heard somewhere

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Not one of those cities can sustain a conversation. There simply isn't enough going on. We have a place already for those. It's the Tier II thread, which I just mentioned.

Smaller threads for each of these cities would be rather pointless. It just adds forum clutter.
I'm sure a couple of a the Tier II cities cold sustain a discussion. The only problem is that a bunch of people from Calgary and Edmonton can't do it. As soon as there are a couple forumers from them they can go for it. Of course that doesn't include Canmore, which isn't a Tier II city, or even a city...

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:05 AM
Majestic

Right, but we dont have anyone from those cities. Of the nearly 200 Alberta forumers, active or not, on this forum, only a scant few haven't been from Calgary or Edmonton. Having one thread for all the small-city discussions is appropriate until the time where we have any forumers from those cities that contribute in a major way to the forum.

I'd be all for having a Red Deer sticky if we had any forumers from Red Deer. But we don't. So occasionally some of us Edm/Cgy forumers go in there to find that some kind of info was posted on a city website nine months ago, but other than that there is no insights from locals, no pictures, no rumours... is that any way to sustain a thread? Grouping them together works because even if only one person contributes every few weeks, it stays on the front page.

Maybe the love for the Local format comes from the ease with which one can post a bunch of such short-lived, single-issue threads without ever having to "wade" through discussion... because there is none!

Flickr

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:17 AM

Folks, there won't be any new sticky threads added to the existing sticky threads for a while. This thread is supposed to be about construction in Canmore.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 8:07 PM

Quote:

1) renderings

Now I know what Boris feels like!

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 7:05 PM

Canmore

Hi, I've been lurking on the forums for quite a while now and just created an account.

Anyways, I've been living in Canmore for five years now (from Calgary). Although Canmore has many good qualities, overall it is probably the most poorly planned town in Alberta, if not Canada. The self-professed "green" attitude of the general Canmore population and local government is pretty sick. If you want to see Ford Explorers, Golf Courses, and Auto-Centric pointlessly meandering roads, take a drive around town - cause thats the only way you can get around.

A few places where I think town planning really blew it:

1) They spent a lot of money a couple years ago refurbishing main street but did not even consider turning it into a pedestrian road. The sidewalks are already decently busy on the street.

2) The "Wildlife Corridors" are counter-productive as they just spread out the town further, using up more wildland.

3) Certain retail services such as grocery, liquor stores, movies rental stores, etc are too concentrated. This results in more driving, as most of the population does not live close enough to them to walk/bike.

4) Still no public transportation. There is a large percentage of people who do not own cars and people who commute to Banff or Calgary. There should at least be public bus service between Banff-Canmore-Calgary. Possibly also including Lake Louise and the ski resorts on winter weekends.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 6:43 PM

As someone who is moving to the area within the next few months I was wondering how the construction industry was doing in Canmore.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbringcash View Post
As someone who is moving to the area within the next few months I was wondering how the construction industry was doing in Canmore.
Compared to 2 years ago not much is happening. Most of the projects in the first post have been completed or nearly so. Everything proposed that was not started when the bust hit is in limbo.

The place that had the big fire, Wilderness Ridge, is going to be rebuilt. Versant is progressing, slowly.

Also, there is not much happening in Banff either. There are some federal projects - TCH twinning and rehab of the Cave & Basin.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 9:01 PM

What about the new areas that are starting to be built, Three Sisters Village, the new hotel, Silver tip, as far as I can tell these are all expanding there.

Last edited by bcbringcash; Feb 22, 2010 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbringcash View Post
What about the new areas that are starting to be built, Three Sisters Village, the new hotel, Silver tip, as far as I can tell these are all expanding there.
Three Sisters Mountain Village is in receivership; Price-Waterhouse-Coopers is running the show. What new hotel? Silvetip is not proposing any new development in the near future. Spring Creek may (and it's a big if) go ahead with another building.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klozov View Post
Three Sisters Mountain Village is in receivership; Price-Waterhouse-Coopers is running the show. What new hotel? Silvetip is not proposing any new development in the near future. Spring Creek may (and it's a big if) go ahead with another building.
Why are you so miserable? Who pissed in your cornflakes? I thought these forums were for acquiring information and talk about upcoming events. Cool down.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 1:26 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I don't think his tone was condescending. Just relax.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia