HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Leatop Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Guangzhou Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 2:00 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Skyscraper Builders / Designers Should Stop Being Afraid of...

1. Color.

Mercury City tower in Moscow has gotten a lot of flak for its lustrous copper-colored cladding, but IMHO it's what makes the difference between a merely adequate building and one that rocks. If the same structure were clad instead in the generic bluish-, greyish-, or greenish-tinted glass used most everywhere else, it would be infinitely less interesting. In fact, use fewer tinted "-ish" colors altogether - it's cowardly. Compare Shun Hing Square's green cladding with the greenish tints of so many generic buildings. Off the top of my head, I can't even think of a truly blue skyscraper - blue like sapphire.

An important additional note to make is that white and black are also colors, and also have been neglected by the use of lame shades and mild tints. There should be blinding white skyscrapers the color of some famous Greek Orthodox churches., like that on Santorini. Less off-white, beige, dun, light grey, etc. And there should be black skyscrapers. Sears Tower and John Hancock Center don't even try to be truly black - they're just a kind of a dark shade of grey. I mean black like as if all light were annihilated.

Take a look at this new carbon material, showing the blackest black yet achieved in human technology:

(Credit: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)

I'm obviously not suggesting we coat a skyscraper in carbon nanotubes to achieve this, but it gives you a good sense of what I'm talking about in the difference between black and black-ish. Obviously, of course, dark black buildings shouldn't be in places where it would cause their AC bills to soar - I wouldn't expect them in LA - but they should be somehwere.

Which is actually apropos of my next item. Skyscraper developers should stop being afraid of...

2. Looking evil.

It's okay to build something that looks evil. It's just a building, so as long as the internal and street-level environments are genial, it's totally fine if it looks like something Darth Vader would build. The John Hancock Center in Chicago looks evil, but is endearing because of it. But architects are very reluctant to offer such visions because someone along the way might be offended or off-put by it, and that's just sad. We need more evil-looking cool buildings.

In other words, There need to be supervillains in the skyline to compete with the superheroes. Angry red, pitch black, ghostly white, menacing tones of green or yellow coloration, awesome combinations thereof like the colors on a deadly spider's back, etc. would be how the supervillains would look, in addition to or instead of having evil-looking structure. Meanwhile, the heroes could have bold, life-affirming colors - the sapphire blues mentioned above, brilliant whites, bold life-affirming reds and greens and others, and blacks that communicate fullness or mystery rather than annihilation. The overall effect of doing this would be to add to the mythic atmosphere of the city, and create more energy and vitality.

3. Being too good.

This is much more of a problem in NY than anywhere else, but I'm sure the other skyscraper cities of the world will eventually run into it: Designers and developers being reticent to propose something that's too good because its awesomeness offends the piety of some existing landmark building's cult that feels their building would be outshined - which, of course, also means its owners might have a dip in property value (though rationally, two great projects near each other could easily increase the value of both). That seems to have been at work in the downsizing of Tower Verre while at the same time allowing a relatively fugly project like 15 Penn Plaza to stay at ESB-level heights: They will let you challenge ESB on height, or on beauty, but not both at the same time.

This is not a good state of affairs. There are plenty of economic reasons not to strive to be the best, but never, ever, should one of those reasons be a desire not to compete with an existing building for awe and majesty. Any project where beauty is any priority at all should strive to be the best that it can be, not knuckle under to sacred cows on behalf of Byzantine politics. So, if you are going to build an ESB-class scraper near ESB, build it to look better than ESB - don't cripple it out of medieval piety. Don't be the guy who deliberately loses card games to the boss. Don't be that guy. Use every project as an opportunity to make progress, push the boundaries, explore more profound domains of beauty and grandeur.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 2:14 AM
A before E

Buildings look evil? Is there something you are hoping to discuss with this? I am kind of confused with this topic. I agree that too many buildings tend to go for the safe bland look, but I am not sure what this topic you are trying to state has anything to go with.

Is this in reference to an article you read or something? Is there any chance you could better explain what you want this topic to be about.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 2:32 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Buildings look evil?
Perhaps a better word would be "villainous."

Quote:
Is there something you are hoping to discuss with this?
Great possibilities that are neglected for terrible reasons.

Quote:
I agree that too many buildings tend to go for the safe bland look, but I am not sure what this topic you are trying to state has anything to go with.
It's about three things: Color, personality, and ambition. They're kind of intertwined, so I'm actually trying to shine a spotlight on the huge domain of possibilities that are ignored out of misguided humility. It's not truly modest to refuse to try.

Quote:
Is this in reference to an article you read or something? Is there any chance you could better explain what you want this topic to be about.
Pretty much every topic I write is about exploring possibilities. In this case, it's possibilities that are underserved because they take a strong aesthetic position rather than compromising.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 3:59 AM
Never Dell

All of your ideas seem to be predicated on the idea that towers are built to enhance society. In fact they're nearly all built to make money for their developers and partners. Unless you're also proposing a subsidy program...

More color would be good though.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 4:12 AM
A before E

Well I think no developer wants to market a building that is considered "evil" or "villainous" though I am sure plenty of developers over the years have personally carried that title.

Though I do agree, more color in good use is a good thing. I have always been impressed with the way architects in the Netherlands use color in their work, something I would like to see show up more in the States rather than the more safe and bland looks we often get.

I have said it many times, I would love to see true white buildings or bright colored buildings here in Portland because of the amount of grey days we have, we could use some bold colors to really make us feel better during the winter months. Also I think bolder colors would better reflect the personality that is Portland and would really make a strong statement in our skyline more than having a new tallest tower would ever be able to do.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 12:25 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
All of your ideas seem to be predicated on the idea that towers are built to enhance society.
They're predicated on the idea that enhancing society is not morally optional.

Quote:
In fact they're nearly all built to make money for their developers and partners. Unless you're also proposing a subsidy program...
A large part of the problem is that most buildings are not built to merely make money for them, but to make the absolute most possible money. That creates a lot of problems, social, economic, and aesthetic.

Quote:
More color would be good though.
Yes, that is one domain where the failures thus far have been inexcusable. It doesn't cost anything extra to paint a real color rather than some lame tint.

Quote:
Well I think no developer wants to market a building that is considered "evil" or "villainous" though I am sure plenty of developers over the years have personally carried that title.
They lack vision in that respect. Consider how much money entertainment companies make marketing zeitgeist surrounding villains - Darth Vader, Predator, Alien, Terminators, etc. People pay thousands of dollars a year to play online games as villainous characters. It isn't about actually <i>being</i> sinister - it's about mythos and narrative. Skylines should have interesting villains and anti-heroes.

Quote:
I have always been impressed with the way architects in the Netherlands use color in their work, something I would like to see show up more in the States rather than the more safe and bland looks we often get.
Good call. I wonder if it's because business in America is ruled by philistines, or because business in Europe is culturally compelled to pay homage to aesthetics. Or both?

Quote:
I have said it many times, I would love to see true white buildings or bright colored buildings here in Portland because of the amount of grey days we have, we could use some bold colors to really make us feel better during the winter months. Also I think bolder colors would better reflect the personality that is Portland and would really make a strong statement in our skyline more than having a new tallest tower would ever be able to do.
I'm a little surprised to hear that about Portland - it has such an impeccable reputation.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 5:17 AM
Never Dell

I suppose you could change the entire US economic system. Until then, investments will go where they have the most opportunity and least risk.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:12 AM
A before E

Portland's reputation is about our culture, not really about our large building architecture. We do have a lot of great things going on at smaller levels...(well not so much right now, since the economy went into the crapper.)

But like anything in the private sector, developers care about making the most money they can off of a project, which means they want to keep their risks low and reach the largest amount of consumers. Often times a developer will go with something that looks more bland because it has less risk of being offensive to anyone. Other times, it is simply what the banks are willing to lend money to.

The hardest thing to do is try to renovate old warehouse buildings into condos in a downtown that doesn't have any renovated warehouse buildings in it. Spokane had this issue when a couple developers tried to renovate a couple buildings. They basically had to pay for everything themselves until units began to sell and then there was a reference for banks to lend to.

There is a lot of back and forth that goes into these things, and often times I wish good and great architecture took the lead when it came to what is being built, but the people that are in charge of the bottom line tend to go with what is safe. Only with rare moments do things get built because the architect involved is someone trendy or it is a big enough city for experimenting with architecture can happen. I saw a number of new buildings in NYC that was built in the past 10 years that really pushed a lot of things you are talking about.

Even here in Portland the same thing could be said about the past 10 years on the small level. Homes, small duplex buildings, small condo and apartment buildings, and such, but nothing on a grand scale by any means. Just things that have been creating an overall fabric for the city.

As for "evil" or "villainous" those are just catchphrases that no developer will market their building as. I am sure the developer involved with the "batman building" in Nashville called it that. That name came about from people who nicknamed the building after the fact. Buildings that pick up your catchphrases happen after they get built and for various reasons....some good, some bad.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 1:11 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Dear Troubador,

We will take your ideas into consideration.

Sincerely,
Skyscraper Builders/Designers

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:29 PM
Never Dell

Behind every "evil" looking building are a developer and architect who thought they were beautiful, maybe exuded power, etc.

Developer motivations aren't entirely about making more money. Second places goes to the desire to not lose money. There's real risk. Even short of a bloodbath like the current one, where developers are losing everything they put into projects right and left, and some are going bankrupt, it's not uncommon to put your life into your work for five years and gain nothing but what you paid yourself during that time, losing much or all of your equity. If rents turn out to be 15% lower than you thought, and the building's market value is 25% less than you thought it would be, you still have to pay your lenders, contractor, etc., and that comes before your own investment.

Developers, particularly local ones, do tend to build stuff that they like, and that they think will enhance their city. They also have to get designs past review boards of various types. Given that the general public's taste isn't very avante garde, it's no mystery why safe designs tend to be more popular.

It's not just safe colors. Boxy shapes also maximize square footage per dollar for a bunch of reasons. Curves and flourishes are generally expensive, particularly if they're structural. Large clear spaces are expensive. They might be worth it if tenants/buyers were willing to pay for them, but they generally aren't.

Some developers find some magic and develop stuff that people will pay more for, or find ways to make things cool at reasonable cost. But largely, developers who don't figure out the cost/benefit thing don't last long.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:53 PM

I don't know why Troubadour is getting all this flak. I think his original post touched upon some very interesting points, and I agree with most of them. I especially like the color discussion: color on a highrise is something that is really easy to mess up, yet with the smallest tweaks, it can make a building beautiful (even if it's unconventional, quirky beauty). Indeed, such bold statements of carefully selected colors can add a ton to the city's character, but there's always a risk that some hack will be in charge and he ends up producing a loud, obnoxious eyesore.

If anything, I think it would be great to turn this thread into a discussion about building (especially skyscraper) color and how it affects the cityscape, whether on skyline, street or any other level.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 9:24 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
I don't know why Troubadour is getting all this flak. I think his original post touched upon some very interesting points, and I agree with most of them. I especially like the color discussion: color on a highrise is something that is really easy to mess up, yet with the smallest tweaks, it can make a building beautiful (even if it's unconventional, quirky beauty). Indeed, such bold statements of carefully selected colors can add a ton to the city's character, but there's always a risk that some hack will be in charge and he ends up producing a loud, obnoxious eyesore.

If anything, I think it would be great to turn this thread into a discussion about building (especially skyscraper) color and how it affects the cityscape, whether on skyline, street or any other level.
Well one of my most favorite newer buildings in Lower Manhattan is this one cause it does something completely different (not too fond of the base though.)

DSCF3142 by Dennis LaPrade, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 9:52 PM
Never Dell

That thing ought to get someone arrested. The offset windows are part of the problem. The color makes it worse.

It's worse in person. I was there in May.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 11:43 PM
A before E

Quote:
That thing ought to get someone arrested. The offset windows are part of the problem. The color makes it worse.

It's worse in person. I was there in May.
That is the joy of architecture, it varies from person to person cause I like this building.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 5:25 AM

I think just adding some variety in color can really enhance an otherwise plain design.

JSsocal

Although for this building I'd probably still add something to the top. Don't know if this falls under evil or good, but I agree that more buildings need more colors.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 5:41 AM
A before E

Another building I really like. I got some great photos of that building on my trip to NYC that I was just on last month. Eventually I will get around to posting them.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Reload this Page Skyscraper Builders / Designers Should Stop Being Afraid of...
1. Stone, brick, and masonry of various forms. There is a reason the older skyscrapers are the most beloved.

2. Human scale detailing and architectural sculpture.

Eridony @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/eridony/2377808010/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 8:19 PM
Never Dell

I agree, jetsetter.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture