HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 12:00 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
a bigger issue might be the marketability of this project, and Railside projects, given the high volume of petroleum products moving over that mainline.
Oil by rail eastward will continue to grow although not as fast as westbound. They can't build oil cars fast enough. I really can't envision any prudent decision to develop next to an oil rail corridor. Especially residential.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 5:41 PM

Those trains are moving slow and there are no steep grades anywhere close. It's flat (literally) for miles each way. It's all about risk. But of course if someone wanted to do some damage, they could.

Given how people in Winnipeg complain after they've purchased their home next to a railway, there should be no issues haha.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:32 PM

The old Parmalat plant in North St. Boniface is coming down

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
That makes me a little sad.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Does that mean its sold? Last I saw the building was for sale

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1983 View Post
Does that mean its sold? Last I saw the building was for sale
Not sure. Will have to do a drive by

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:43 PM
Formerly rypinion

La Crémerie Coop (trying to build a housing co-op partly modeled after the Old Grace Housing Co-op) posted this on their facebook last week:

Quote:
With demolition starting on the Parmalat site an update on our hope to develop the Parmalat site into a new and exciting housing co-operative is warranted. This is a development which would fill the gap in living options in North Saint Boniface, most importantly the missing option of affordable housing. We spoke with the owners of the site last week and, although they have received higher offers for their land, they are mindful of the fact that our offer is based on respectful density and not on the high density proposed by other bidders. They have yet to make a decision on the proposals. We are still optimistic and hopeful of receiving positive news in the near future.
https://www.facebook.com/lacremeriecoop/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:44 PM

^ Great to hear someone is trying for affordable housing. Although I suspect the owners of the site will take the money.

Does Parmalat own the site or did someone else buy it?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:50 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^ Great to hear someone is trying for affordable housing. Although I suspect the owners of the site will take the money.

Does Parmalat own the site or did someone else buy it?
Parmalat owns the site and from what I've heard are respectful of the francophone community and responsive to the co-op group, but I guess we'll see.

I've put a deposit into the housing co-op, as I've always figured that would be a great area to live and I'd be interested in trying out the co-op model, but not personally against "high density".

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:45 AM

Aside from the newer condos and houses, I would say there is a LOT of affordable housing in north St. B.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:14 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Aside from the newer condos and houses, I would say there is a LOT of affordable housing in north St. B.
Their definition of affordable housing is probably housing that doesn't require a $200K mortgage.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:18 PM

I have a friend who lives in a $500/month apartment in St. B right by the Parmalat plant. It's small, but affordable for them. Anecdotal and maybe a one of situation. But there is affordable housing around. Nothing new, mostly old stock, is the issue.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
I have a friend who lives in a $500/month apartment in St. B right by the Parmalat plant. It's small, but affordable for them. Anecdotal and maybe a one of situation. But there is affordable housing around. Nothing new, mostly old stock, is the issue.
It's pretty difficult to have "new" and "affordable" together without "subsidies" ... if you want/need something "affordable," it's a little odd to also expect brand new.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:11 PM

The tower going up by U of W has 'affordable' housing component. What the cost is I'm not sure. I think that's what all the people want, new subsidized housing for everyone. Otherwise I agree, not sure how affordable new housing can really be.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
The tower going up by U of W has 'affordable' housing component. What the cost is I'm not sure. I think that's what all the people want, new subsidized housing for everyone. Otherwise I agree, not sure how affordable new housing can really be.
Yeah but this is actual designated and subsidized "affordable" housing, part of the mandate of it from UWCRC, a bit different than private "affordable" housing developments.

Until and if our government mandates a percentage of all units in new buildings be a pre-determined "affordable" rate like in Vancouver, I don't see what the issue with new builds not being cheap is. And IMO that's ok.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 8:05 PM

The market should be determining housing prices and rental rates, if there is government subsidies only then should there be an ‘affordsble’ component but to dictate to a private developer they must have ‘affordable’ rates is ridiculous.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:38 PM

Yeah, agreed with the above.

One of the issues that arises when mandating affordable housing in new developments, is you get the "poor" entrances. Basically a separate entrance for the affordable housing than for the rest of the building.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Oil by rail eastward will continue to grow although not as fast as westbound. They can't build oil cars fast enough. I really can't envision any prudent decision to develop next to an oil rail corridor. Especially residential.
Sorry I missed this comment earlier.

There is all the residential development (currently built and planned) in North Transcona right up the CP Mainline east of Hwy 59

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 1:13 PM

this place is now starting to advertise, the exterior is all complete but work is still going on inside, lots still to go. i really like those 3rd floor is all bedrooms with tiny balconies, lovely to leave open on those fall nights.

the final exterior finishing are not the same as render, they went with all black metal rook (image looks like shingles) and the area around 3rd floor balconies is same rock as the rest. the black strip along the side is gone, replaced also with rock. i like the metal roof, not sure i like that much rock.

as someone who lives down the street, overall I think it's a great addition to Norwood Flats

https://prairiecommercial.ca/96-st-marys-road

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
this place is now starting to advertise, the exterior is all complete but work is still going on inside, lots still to go. i really like those 3rd floor is all bedrooms with tiny balconies, lovely to leave open on those fall nights.

the final exterior finishing are not the same as render, they went with all black metal rook (image looks like shingles) and the area around 3rd floor balconies is same rock as the rest. the black strip along the side is gone, replaced also with rock. i like the metal roof, not sure i like that much rock.

as someone who lives down the street, overall I think it's a great addition to Norwood Flats

https://prairiecommercial.ca/96-st-marys-road

Nice to see someone not use stucco, corrugated metal or vinyl siding.

Finished product looks way better than this rendering. I drive by it every day. You could plunk it down in Montreal or Quebec City and wouldn't look out of place. More of these please.

That being said, I wish the house that was there before could have been restored.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan