HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 2:59 AM
R2-D2's army of death

My Chinatown Proposal...

Okay, so I came up with this idea, and my last big proposal idea was the "Growing Up Ottawa" thing a long time ago and I realized I left out a major component; Chinatown. So here's my proposal for what I'd want Chinatown to look like in the next 10-20 years. Please comment, all feedback will be welcomed.

THE CHINESE GARDENS

This is a continuation of the Millenium Garden Project at Somerset and Cambridge. It is to be in the style of a typical traditional Chinese garden that will blend in with one of the posts for the Chinatown Gate that is to be built and completed next summer. To prevent tagging, the wall of the building that already houses the 'gate mural' will be covered in a mural that will pay homage to Chinese culture and Chinese-Canadians.

CHINATOWN GATE

Spanning all of Somerset at Cambridge St., this archway, or "paifang" will show the entrance to Chinatown much the same way the Corso Italia Gate on Preston marks the entrace to Little Italy. To ensure there is ample room for pedestrians, the street corner that the Raw Sugar Cafe occupies will be widened to allow enough room.

ASIAN FOUR CORNERS MARKET

At the former Loeb site on Eccles and Booth, I'd like to erect a new building that will have stalls on the inside and will be turned into a market akin to the farmer's market in the Glebe, only this market will be fully enclosed and operate year round. Being Chinatown/Little Vietnam, it will cater to East Asian and Indochinese food and other such products.

CHINESE-CANADIAN HERITAGE MUSEUM

At the corner of Booth and Somerset, currently the site of a gravel parking lot, there will be a simple museum that will serve to honour Canada's Chinese-Canadians and their contributions to the country.

VIETNAMESE BOAT PEOPLE MUSEUM

This proposed museum at the corner of Somerset and Preston will educate people about the Vietnamese Boat People and their ordeal along with their contributions to the countries they resettled in.

URBAN DENSITY

Condos. One at the corner of Somerset and LeBreton that will have retail/restaurants on the main level, businesses on the second, and the other five storeys are to be condos. Another should be built on Arthur and Somerset inbetween Koreana and Ben Ben/Chu Ching. The main floor will house retail in the Somerset side while the underground parking and entrance will be on Arthur. It should be five to eight storeys high. Another condo should be at the corner of Somerset and Bronson, on condition that the gas station goes under.

EVENTS

In order to help make Chinatown more lively and a better place to be, some trees should be planted along Somerset to provide shade and support for paper lanters during festivals that could be held in the street. Other such events could be held in the street if it were closed to traffic, similar to what happens to Richmond Rd. with regards to Westfest.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 12:36 PM
Still optimistic

I really like the garden idea; That could become one of Ottawa's big attractions!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion