HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 12:00 PM
:-)

Thanks for the pictures!

Carlos, regarding that 'eyesore' you mentioned, relief is on the way:

http://lowermanhattan.info/news/fite...ing_94353.aspx

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 3:17 PM
Bionic Boogie

mmmm thanks, Mr kingKrunch
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSSY WILLOW View Post
^
True

Goldman Sachs' facade will be considerable much darker than WTC 7.....kinda green...

Looks like some of the facade is already being installed on that lower portion.
Am I correct in assuming that?

From this vantage point, it looks like the Freedom Tower will hide some of the GS Tower when it starts to rise.

Last edited by Daquan13; Oct 7, 2007 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 10:18 PM
Bionic Boogie

Mr. Daquan please check this out, and YES the WTC1 tower will defenately cover some of GS view.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=22615&page=40
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 10:52 PM
BANNED

Yeah, those close-up pics show the facade much better! And it IS darker than the one on 7 WTC!!

Thanks!

Last edited by Daquan13; Oct 9, 2007 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 11:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote from an article...
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Business...58922-sun.html

Step by step
In 75 years, London's C.J. Pink has gone from making concrete burial vaults and septic tanks to a multitude of pre-cast products including the stairs for New York's new Freedom Tower.

President Christopher Pink, shown at C.J. Pink's plant in Dorchester, says he's confident his firm can handle its latest project: supplying stairs for New York's Freedom Tower.

By HANK DANISZEWSKI, SUN MEDIA
October 8, 2007

When workers climb up the new Freedom Tower now rising from the ashes of Ground Zero in Manhattan, they'll be walking on made-in-London stairs.

The Freedom Tower is one of many prestigious projects supplied with pre-cast concrete stairs and landings manufactured by C. J. Pink, a 75-year-old London company.

C. J. Pink concentrates on big stairs for big projects such as hotels, office towers, condominiums and sports stadiums.

The Freedom Tower will soar 102 floors -- higher than the World Trade Center's North Tower stood before it was destroyed in a terrorist attack six years ago. As an added safety feature, the design includes a stairwell exclusively for firefighters to avoid the crowding that occurred when the World Trade Center was evacuated.

That's a lot of stairs, but company president Christopher Pink is confident the firm can handle the job. The first of the stairs will be shipped to New York by year's end.

"They don't need them all at once. We'll be working at it day by day and it will be spread over three years," he said.

The company's stairs also have been installed at the John Labatt Centre in London, Soldier Field stadium in Chicago, the Coney Island ballpark and Juilliard building in New York City, and the new CityPlace condo complex in Toronto.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 4:07 PM
BANNED

That's great news to hear!! Thanx, NYguy!!!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 10:54 PM
BANNED

At least you guys don't have a history of NIMBYism to deal with that is keeping this thing from getting built. Here in SF we are desperately trying to break the 700 FOOT ( )barrier that was imposed on our city back in the 80s. Take a walk in our shoes for one day, and I have a feeling all your complaints will end !!

On a side note, the skyscraper fears of terrorism always gives me a cynical chuckle because it proves that people really aren't prepared for the 'anything' that could happen next. I really doubt that the same people who attacked on 9/11 will target more skyscrapers with airplanes. They want us to keep thinking that, though, so that they can always be one step ahead. The concrete bunker that was imposed at the bottom of the building is, I believe, a red herring that will make us "feel" more safe, which in reality doesn't make us any more safe than if it wasn't there.

Last edited by tyler82; Oct 9, 2007 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 11:58 PM
BANNED

The Freedom Tower, as you know, was going to be the WTB until it was learned the the BD Tower was going to eclipse it.

But had Pataki not been playing his childish games, then we'd have had the tower built a lot sooner.

Also, I don't think New York is afraid to build tall. The tower IS over the 1,368 mark with the spire. Get used to it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 12:00 AM
Bionic Boogie

^

DITTO

SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 12:11 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
The Freedom Tower, as you know, was going to be the WTB until it was learned the the BD Tower was going to eclipse it.

But had Pataki not been playing his childish games, then we'd have had the tower built a lot sooner.

Also, I don't think New York is afraid to build tall. The tower IS over the 1,368 mark with the spire. Get used to it.
Right on. People forget that 1,776 feet is taller than any completed building at the moment.

Really, this is just so silly. The thing will be huge and impressive. Saying it won't be because it's shorter than the BD or the CS is like saying Pike's Peak is not impressive because it's shorter than Mt. Everest.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 1:45 PM

Now then... i've yet to post in this thread, but i thought i'd give my 2 cents. I think the Freedom Tower is the perfect height for its location. Taking the building out of context and looking it solely as an individual skyscraper, of course i would have liked to see it taller. However, given its location and its surroundings, i think the height is appropriate. It will look fantastic in NYC's skyline.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 10, 2007 at 5:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 1:48 PM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataclaw View Post
I think the Freedom Tower is the perfect height for its location.
I agree. Once all of the surrounding towers are completed it will look great. If the FT were much taller I dont think it would look so good. Height is not everything.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:07 PM
BANNED

So the freedom tower base climbs out the ground and goes up and out, then once it gets past the bottom security part, it goes up and in right? Rotating square? Triangles, 1776 is when the country was found. what's the final plans for the memorial?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 10, 2007 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* many posts deleted *

i will remind everyone once again that this is the freedom tower construction thread, not the off-topic new york vs chicago or new york vs. dallas discussion thread. if you have a thought that pops into your head about the city of dallas or the chicago spire or the burj dubai or some other skyscraper project, DO NOT post it in this thread. this thread is solely for construction of the freedom tower itself.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 6:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasbrink View Post
So the freedom tower base climbs out the ground and goes up and out, then once it gets past the bottom security part, it goes up and in right? Rotating square? Triangles, 1776 is when the country was found. what's the final plans for the memorial?

Reflecting Absence. Also u/c with the Freedom Tower.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatusi View Post
I agree. Once all of the surrounding towers are completed it will look great. If the FT were much taller I dont think it would look so good. Height is not everything.
The bottom line is, that the Tower of Freedom is the same height as the originals. That's the only thing that matters. Not taller nor shorter.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 11:17 PM
New Yorker for life

pics from wtcrising.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 10, 2007 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 11:43 AM

For anybody complaining about height, remember the original proposals?

Stuff like that was a disgrace. I think this tower, though not the tallest, fits in beautifully with it's surroundings. If a tower as tall as Burj Dubai was built on that site, it would be an eyesore to New York City's skyline.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 2:24 PM
BANNED

how could it be an eyesore?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive