HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 7:58 PM

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy View Post
The architects or developers of the Pike are known for suburban developments... which is very obvious. Fixes are coming and should be quick and easy!

What happened to fixes should be quick and easy? This post was from over 2 years ago. What has changed? The place still has no shopping. They should of just put a macys at the pike. That would bring more people in itself then the book store, theater, v20 mai tai, and the lovely crap restaurants that only cater to dumb tourists. Ugh!!!!

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 8:40 PM

[QUOTE=InsExchLoft_dweller;2078977]The Cityplace lofts start around 400K for a 1100 sf unit and go up to around 650-700K for a 1600 sf unit.

That's a lot of money to live next to a brick building used as a halfway house for people out on parole or trying to rehab from drug addiction. Not to mention being next to an Albertson's with all the noise pollution, But you're close to that wonderful area called city place. My condo was under 500k when bought, but nobody wanted to live around here during that time, Now its worth over 1 million. It has gone down over the past 2 years, but my unit never should of been worth 1.8 anyways. I should of sold a couple years ago. LOL

And i think this thread went dead either from me, or from the fact that almost every project that was talked about in earlier pages has been scraped or has been a massive failure, and its somewhat depressing to rehash old projects that will sadly never be.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 11:30 PM

Hyatt Plaza plans move forward
REDEVELOPMENT: Agency votes for a negotiating agreement with developer.
By Karen Robes, Staff writer
Article Launched: 05/05/2008 09:51:59 PM PDT

LONG BEACH - Plans to build a Hyatt Place hotel downtown moved forward Monday when Redevelopment Agency board members unanimously voted to enter into an agreement with the developer. The six-month negotiating agreement allows the agency to talk exclusively with Urban Growth Long Beach LLC developer Michael Gallivan for construction of a Hyatt Place hotel at the northwest corner of Long Beach Boulevard and First Street.

The site - currently a 35,747-square-foot parking lot owned by Gallivan, the agency and a third party - is next to another hotel development, "aloft," a new line of moderately priced, loft-style inns made by the owners of the W Hotel. Preliminary plans for the smaller, high-end Hyatt Place - a new Hyatt concept targeting the modern, multitasking business set - include between 160 and 192 rooms, conference rooms, retail, a restaurant/bar, cafe, pool, parking, gym and a courtyard/plaza.

RDA Vice Chairman William Baker said he was excited about the hotel plans. "We've got interest from a first-class hotel chain that wants to move into our community," he said. "A lot of communities are having a hard time holding on to what they've got." Gallivan said he was pleased to be working with the city on an "incredible hotel" project. "The downtown market is underserved with quality rooms," he said. "Hyatt Place will be a perfect project for you and (I) look forward to your feedback on the site planning in the days to come."

Marshalls plans get OK

Agency board members also approved the third-stage design plans for the Bixby Knolls Shopping Center, where a Marshalls will replace the long abandoned Robert's Department Store in the 4400 block of Atlantic Avenue.

At the last meeeting, board members delayed approval because they had questions about the design and concerns about the color scheme.

Demolishing the Robert's building - seen as mid-century architecture to be preserved - was also an issue for some residents. A representative for the developer, GGF LLC, said the building - which has asbestos and seismic issues - holds no historic significance. Councilwoman Rae Gabelich, who helped negotiate the Marshalls deal, voiced her support for the project. "This has been a long, long road revitalizing the Bixby Knolls Shopping Center, and people challenged me and said it couldn't be done, and here we are in the final loop to crawl through," she said. "I know that you can't make everybody happy," she said. "I just know that (the Marshalls) is going to be wonderful for the 8th District and the surrounding areas."

karen.robes@presstelegram.com, 562-499-1303

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:57 AM

Hotels

I think the hotels are great for the downtown market especially since the residential market is down and a lot of projects have been scrapped or placed on hold.......There has been a lot of concern about store fronts remaining empty with the downturn of residential sales but the hotels will ensure that this doesn't happen because it will provide a lot of pedestrian activity to the area. I like the design of the A loft hotel and I guess we'll have to wait and see the design for the Hyatt Place hotel but neither seems like it will be that big! I know height isn't everything but these locations are key spots that could be great for the skyline if a project large enough could fill that space! either way though I'm happy with the type of development that will fill the space and both are coming from some pretty good companies within the hospitality business.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 11:20 PM

With the residential market recent downturn, I am glad that the hotel development activities have not slowed down. However, I am concerned on overbuilding of the same business in the same area. Besides just filling the gaps, we need to make sure there is adequate infrastructure and customer base to support the business so they can flourish. If not, we might be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Downtown Long Beach’s business anchor is the convention center. Our booking is normally pretty good so there is a healthy demand for hotel and accommodations. However, if we start building more hotels without also focusing on the effort to attract new businesses, then with a fixed supply of customers, the net effect will be a stiffer competition among the hotels which can lead to a decline of occupancy in many of the existing ones. The City of Anaheim is planning to expand their convention center and I think we can benefit by doing the same. The Tidelands area cited by LBpost.com is indeed prime waterfront real estate but unfortunately, it is governed by Tidelands restrictions which limit the development to marine related activities. I notice that when the convention center has run out of exhibit capacity such as in the events during the Grand Prix, they actually overflow into the Tideland parking lot. Instead of building up more hotels which do not serve as an active mean to attract business, IMHO, I think we should develope the Tideland parking lot as an expansion to enhance the convention center.

The City of Long Beach is championing a bond to repair the ailing infrastructure and construction of a brand new City Hall. Even though the vanity of a grand City Hall might sound appealing to some, it does very little to generate new business and revenue. I think the bond money would be better used to expand the convention center, which in turn can bring more people to come to our City.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 9:52 PM

Looks like the Long Beach Redevelopment Agency has contracted SEG Realty Advisors to work with retail companies interested in Long Beach. It appears that SEG Realty was able to sucessfully open dialog with key retail tenants as follows:

Downtown: H & M, Urban Outfitter, American Eagle, Talbots, Whole Foods, Fresh &Easy, Trader Joes, Chico's, West Elm (Pottery Barn) and Jamba Juice

Central Long Beach: Fresh & Easy, Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, Longs Drug, Bank ofAmerica, Wells Fargo, Washington Mutual, LBS Financial Credit Union, Starbucks andIt's a Grind

Bixby Knolls: Marshalls, California Pizza Kitchen, Mimi's Cafe, Houston's, RedRobin and Bank of America for ground lease of parking field

http://clblegistar.longbeach.gov/att...9945c89a42.pdf

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 7:21 AM

Open a dialog with key retail tenants??!! What exactly does that consist of, putting in a cold call. Don't hold your breath.

I agree with Ruby about questioning the additional hotels. The convention business is getting any stronger or larger, can't really. So why the need for all the hotels. They'll just eat each other up. I don't agree with adding to the convention center as a solution for creating a more vibrant downtown. Tourists will not create a great downtown. That will come from within and more hotels, a larger convention center or a stadium isn't going to do it for us.

I do like the idea of exploring a new city hall. rethink bum park. that whole area is such a waste of great space.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 1:22 PM

diseree... I'm thankful I don't see life as the glass being half empty... yeah you're right, its just a putting in a cold phone call.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 4:19 PM

the interesting thing about LMG's link is that most of the retail that seg have been in contact with in Central and Bixby have actually become a reality...

It sucks that the same can't be said about downtown... except for "It's A Grind".

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 4:38 PM

Quote:
diseree... I'm thankful I don't see life as the glass being half empty... yeah you're right, its just a putting in a cold phone call.
LAMetroguy, my last post wasn't a diss at you, don't take it personally. Just for the sake of conversation, do you think that you might be looking at it with too much of a positive spin? Perhaps you should question it a little more. The downtown hasn't seen results in years so pardon me if i don't believe the same ol' song and dance of "hey, look what retailers we're in touch with".

How many times can you run into the same wall before you start to question if your same ol' theory for breaking through it is working, or if perhaps a new strategy is needed.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 5:39 AM

Below is a comparison of the capacity of the convention center for major cities. We can see the stronger the convention center, the more vibrant the associated city can be. Downtown Long Beach is significantly lacking behind and if we want to establish a world class city, we need to expand and build a better convention center.

It is sort of a chicken and egg problem. Every downtown needs a healthy sum of tourist to flourish. During the days of the grand prix, 170000 people came to our town. If we can keep this continuous flux of people traffic throughout the year, retail will grow and then more and more residents will want to live here. I noticed that during the days when there is no booking for the convention center, the area looks rather deserted. We need momentum to keep the place growing and I think the Convention Center can be the catalyst. The waterfront tideland parking lot next to the convention center would be ideal for this development. They've been using the place all the time for temporary accomodation of additonal exhibit. Why not just make it permanent?

As for building a brand new City Hall, I just don't see how it can attract more business or even locals to come to Downtown. I am particular concerned that it will be built with bond money and it would be a challenge when it comes time to pay it back especially if the development cannot generate additional revenue. Also, I do question the strategy of building more hotels before we have created a demand for it. I am afraid that'll unncessarily waste valuable resources and more importantly, availabe prime real estate in the area.

Trader Joe is great and I wish they would come; however, it'll depend on whether their business model will support having two stores that are so close to one another. They already have another one on 2nd street and PCH. In any case, Downtown definitely can use another more upscale supermarket. I was shopping in Albertson the other night and it was packed. Even with many of the counters open, I had to wait a long line to check out.

I have confidence that Downtown Long Beach will continue to grow but due to the recent economy downturn, the pace will be slowed down. Downtown Long Beach was prosperous long time ago and it has lost its glory after years of neglect. It'll take some years to rebuild but its time will come.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 6:55 AM

Tideland Funds

News from LBReport.com

http://www.lbreport.com/news/may08/gabport.htm

News
Gabelich Calls For Formal Discussion Of Possible Charter Amendments -- Including Larger Share Of Port Profits For Tidelands -- For Voters' Decision On Nov. 08 LB Ballot

After Council woman Schipse's last attempt was struck down by the City Council's gang of six, this is another effort by Council woman Gabelich to allocate additional shares from the Port's profits to Tideland funds. I am going to call Suja Lowthenthal again to make sure that she is not going to block it again this time.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drisee View Post
LAMetroguy, my last post wasn't a diss at you, don't take it personally. Just for the sake of conversation, do you think that you might be looking at it with too much of a positive spin? Perhaps you should question it a little more. The downtown hasn't seen results in years so pardon me if i don't believe the same ol' song and dance of "hey, look what retailers we're in touch with".

How many times can you run into the same wall before you start to question if your same ol' theory for breaking through it is working, or if perhaps a new strategy is needed.
Honey, believe me... I don't take it personally. Like I said, I don't look at the world like you do and I am very happy about that. I truly believe that that some of these vendors/retailers will come to downtown. So just because you have been running into a wall for a while doesn't mean that I need to follow you into the same wall. I can and do question various proposals for downtown, but this news is new news and why not enjoy it before Debbie downers like you come running alone with their negative spin, which could very easily be a positive spin if you only let yourself be free of your negativity.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
I passed by the corner of 3rd & Pine and see there is a noticed Its A Grind Coffeehouse will be opening the that spot. Not sure what to think about it at this time. We sure seem to have a lot of coffeehouses in the area. My cousin who also lives in the area keeps hoping for a Coffeebean to open. Me personally I'm happy with Creama because they offer free internet. Although I heard Starbucks will be doing this soon as well to those who use Starbucks Cards.
Yeah I saw that too....I know there is a Starbucks right there but hey variety.. I wish people would start opening like a SF Boudin's (Sourdough Bread Company) or something like that where we can get food but not have to sit down and have a whole big meal.......

I guess coffee shops are easier to make money off of...I agree there should be other types of places that should open up.... in time...

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 7:28 PM

Courting Retailers...

Quote:
Looks like the Long Beach Redevelopment Agency has contracted SEG Realty Advisors to work with retail companies interested in Long Beach. It appears that SEG Realty was able to sucessfully open dialog with key retail tenants as follows:

Downtown: H & M, Urban Outfitter, American Eagle, Talbots, Whole Foods, Fresh &Easy, Trader Joes, Chico's, West Elm (Pottery Barn) and Jamba Juice

Central Long Beach: Fresh & Easy, Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, Longs Drug, Bank ofAmerica, Wells Fargo, Washington Mutual, LBS Financial Credit Union, Starbucks andIt's a Grind

Bixby Knolls: Marshalls, California Pizza Kitchen, Mimi's Cafe, Houston's, RedRobin and Bank of America for ground lease of parking field

http://clblegistar.longbeach.gov/att...9945c89a42.pdf
I spoke to someone at the RDA who said they have been courting retailers....I really hope that success comes from this!

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 8:59 PM

Critical Change in Downtown Residents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drisee View Post

Drisee I agree with your logic BUT.....I feel we have enterered a time when the critical mass of residents needed to open up new businesses is happening.. this is why I see the new businesses opening....slowly.....

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 11:14 PM

New Pedicab

Sorry for so many posts today but did you guys see this?

"Pedicabs Pedal Their Way into Downtown Long Beach

Downtown Long Beach is now home to pedicabs, a fun and unique transportation option. These iconic bike cabs are a welcome addition to efforts to Go Green in Downtown, as well as an inventive solution to the growing congestion in the heart of Downtown.

For just $1 per 1/10 of a mile, these comfortable and breezy cabs let you see Downtown Long Beach from a whole new vantage point. Specialized tours and reservations are also available, paving the way for countless opportunities for your special occasion to be truly memorable.

Long Beach pedicabs are available in the Downtown area Thursday through Sunday from 6 pm - 2 am and can take you anywhere from the waterfront up to 8th Street and from the 710 all the way to Redondo Avenue.

Bringing the pedicabs to the urban center was made possible by a collaborative partnership between the City of Long Beach, the Downtown Long Beach Associates (DLBA), the Long Beach Area Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Redevelopment Agency. "We’re proud to be part of this public-private partnership, which enables the pedicabs to provide service for Downtown visitors, workers, residents and business owners," said Kraig Kojian, President & CEO of the DLBA. "This alternative mode of transportation is fun and family-friendly. It complements the other great transportation options available in the urban center and adds to the overall experience of Downtown Long Beach - from the East Village Arts District to Pine Avenue and down to the Waterfront."

For more information on the pedicabs, please call (562) 446-5616 or visit www.rickshaws.net."

You can see pictures of the Pedicabs here:

http://www.downtownlongbeach.org/lif...8/Pedicabs.htm

If you want to feel like we are in a First Class City like New York, let's act like it! I will take this pedicab and spend unnecessary money and like it!

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth789 View Post
Sorry for so many posts today but did you guys see this?

"Pedicabs Pedal Their Way into Downtown Long Beach

Downtown Long Beach is now home to pedicabs, a fun and unique transportation option. These iconic bike cabs are a welcome addition to efforts to Go Green in Downtown, as well as an inventive solution to the growing congestion in the heart of Downtown.
I saw the pedicab parked outside the Rock Bottom the other night. It was pretty cool. I wanted to take it back home after dinner but when I came out of the restaurant, It was gone. I haven't seen it these past two weeks.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth789 View Post
Yeah I saw that too....I know there is a Starbucks right there but hey variety.. I wish people would start opening like a SF Boudin's (Sourdough Bread Company) or something like that where we can get food but not have to sit down and have a whole big meal.......

I guess coffee shops are easier to make money off of...I agree there should be other types of places that should open up.... in time...
Was it recently?

The past couple weeks when I passed by that corner I didn't see the sign in the window anymore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West