HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 12:37 AM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Looks like things are finally moving forward with the Mosaic Quarter which will have several athletic venues including UofA's men's ice hockey arena.

Besides Mosaic quarter, they would be wise to spruce up Benson hwy from Kino to Irvington. I mean the Owl's lodge, dispensary and the RV dealer are find and dandy, but I would look at a prime opportunity to make that a mini-entertainment district. At the least, look at the entrance to Kino South from Benson and put some restaurants/pubs there and keep folks around especially during the regional tournaments like they are hoping for.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 12:42 AM

I couldn't agree more. I think the developer understands the significance of this site too, as they aptly named it the Gateway Project. This portion of downtown needs people. With the HSL's hotel sitting empty and the surrounding buildings being government 9-5s, this area is quite devoid of life outside of weekdays at lunch. I think this project will really help extend the "living" part of downtown to the western most extent it can be. I don't know that the side of this lot that abuts the frontage road will ever have life, but it will definitely help Congress feel more vibrant.

I agree with AZ71 that the overpass pedestrians would have to walk under to get to the Mercado District is still going to be a big divider between the districts. Strangely, I feel the Cushing Street Overpass is friendlier to walk under.

I'm excited to see this part of downtown in 2 years when 500+ more residents are putting some life into it between this project and the Bautista!

Skylines and skyscrapers are dope, but a healthy city center is too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoran Swami View Post
First, thanks very much Andrew Saturn for posting the updated renderings and information on this project. Very interesting.

Reading through the comments on this post there's some disappointment and frustration expressed that a taller structure won't be built. I get it. Afterall, this is the SkyscraperPage.com forum and the desire to improve a city's skyline is completely understandable.

I view this project a little differently. This may be an unpopular opinion but I am more concerned about how this development helps make the area work on the street level rather judging it with a heavy emphasis on zoning envelope maximizing building height.

On the other side of I-10 is the burgeoning Mercado District. How does this development help connect the Mercado District and downtown along Congress? That's my question. Of course and very thankfully there's the streetcar that connects the two via Cushing/Granada.

IMHO the I-10/Congress interchange with I-10 and its phalanx of attendant frontage roads is a hot bike/ped mess. The fact that Congress goes under I-10 makes the street connection a dark and uninviting place. Then there's motor vehicle traffic enhancing Circle K on the northeast corner and also a Carl's Junior on the southwest corner. Ugh.

So I see this development on the southeast corner as a positive. First, it is not a convenience store nor a fast food joint. In my view the site design helps create a sense of place for something other than motor vehicles. This development is not a cure all, but definitely a big move in the right direction with respect to walkability/bikeability/livability.

Having more people living in the area IMHO is a fantastic thing. The density spread across the building site for me makes it more desirable than a taller building on a squat parking podium. Retail fronting Congrees in my view is a huge positive as well. So is the street art component.

This site definitely has sone programming challenges. Only so much can be done on the side facing the I-10 frontage road.

Unfortunately, the U.S. is replete with cities that have great skylines but are complete car-centric abominations to live in because of terrible qualities at the human/street level. I never want Tucson to become one of those.

Lastly, thanks for lending your eyes to my mini-rant.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 5:14 PM

It was stated in the Daily Star that the West Point Apartments II will be breaking ground this upcoming month. It's a positive infill project on a parking lot for much needed low-income housing.

Here are the most recent renderings of the 7-story structure (off of their Construction Plans):

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 5:25 PM

For Pueblo Vida fans (and brewery fans in general), they're working really hard in getting the necessary approvals to convert the vacant liquor store off of the SW corner of Congress and Grande into a 2nd site w/food options. This will be great for the Menlo Park community...and a good business combo and corner synergy with La Chaiteria across the street.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 7:29 AM

Empire Pizza

A permit was recently issued to Empire Pizza on Congress to expand it's kitchen and for tenant improvement. This could be pertaining to it's expansion into the old Hydra store next door. So hopefully we hear more about this project soon.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 9:46 PM

Foothills Mall's 'Uptown' makeover is moving forward

https://www.kgun9.com/news/community...moving-forward

Last edited by CactusCat; Mar 9, 2024 at 9:57 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest