HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 2:26 PM

Exclamation The US: A "Well-Being" Map

Gallup did a report comparing the well-being of individual states in the US.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...today/?hpid=z4

"Gallup’s well-being index relies on 55 metrics, including rates of obesity, produce consumption, smoking, depression and psychological fulfillment. Generally, the best-off states are in the Midwest and West while the worst are in the south. And there was quite a bit of a shakeup last year. Nineteenth-ranked North Dakota rose to the top spot, while 12th-ranked South Dakota took the second spot. After four years on top, Hawaii fell to the eighth spot. "

More - http://www.gallup.com/poll/167435/no...till-last.aspx

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 8:04 PM

Any comments on this? 160 views and not a single comment. Personally I noted Maryland's prosperity, the only mid-Atlantic state surrounded by worse-off states. Even a state like NJ was worse off, for some reason, although I expected it to be more prosperous, with its density and good public transport.

I also expected FL to be one of the worst states in the country in terms of well-being. Its yellow color surprised me.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:14 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukw View Post
Any comments on this? 160 views and not a single comment. Personally I noted Maryland's prosperity, the only mid-Atlantic state surrounded by worse-off states. Even a state like NJ was worse off, for some reason, although I expected it to be more prosperous, with its density and good public transport.

I also expected FL to be one of the worst states in the country in terms of well-being. Its yellow color surprised me.
That was just one of 25 maps in the Post article. Other maps were more interesting.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:11 PM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

The lowest quintile is basically all the Human Development Index laggards, plus Ohio and Missouri.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:12 PM

I think maps like this are kinda stupid...my well being is not based on what other people do - but on the choices I make. Things like happiness and well being can't be measured by statistics, so I take this map (and others like it) with a grain of salt. My state ranks pretty well, but the validity of it is very shaky at best.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukw View Post

Why would you think Florida would be one of the worst states in terms of well being?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States