HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 1:55 AM

While there are no precise estimates of how many Brazilians are living in Salt Lake City, the Utah Brazilian News and the General Consulate of Brazil in Los Angeles estimate that there are approximately 10,000 living in the State of Utah. This is in addition the the 30,000 Utahns who speak Portuguese, primarily because a large number of Utahns have lived in Brazil for Mormon missions and have learned the language and come to love the country, its culture and its food.

Salt Lake City - Brazil ties are also evident in that Brazil is home to seven Mormon temples (it is a high growth area for the Mormon Church), and in that Salt Lake City is one of only 18 American cities that is home to a Brazilian Consulate.

Salt Lake City is also home to the Utah Brazilian Festival, with an annual attendance of around 12,000.

Here is a quick shot of part of this year's events:

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 7:10 PM
FUS RO DAH!

why do mormons always liked Brazil? Or was it that brazilians were RECEPTIVE to mormon faith?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 8:36 AM
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
why do mormons always liked Brazil? Or was it that brazilians were RECEPTIVE to mormon faith?
I'm guessing Brazilians are more receptive to mormonism since the mormons try to convert absolutely everyone, but why I don't know.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 7:44 PM

I estimate there are 3000-5000 Brazilians living in Kansas City.
Many are students at University of Missouri @Kansas City
Some are musicians and contribute to the local jazz and arts scene.
We also have 5-10 Brazilian owned restaurants and markets.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 7:35 AM

I don't even know... They say the economy is still bad in northeastern Brazil where life would be rough, so a lot of people from there would try to move to French Guiana where welfare is kind of better, although nothing much comfy, huh. There's some crime, racism and social issues in French Guiana as well, but less violently than in Brazil.

In metropolitan France and Paris in particular, you don't meet many of them. Or they must easily blend with locals anyway. For example, I know a couple of guys from Chile and Peru. They had no problem to settle down here at all. They're just pretty much like locals so you don't take notice. Also generally speaking, the South Americans would obviously rather go to the US when they need to get better off, there are not so many of them in Europe, except for Spain for an obvious linguistic convenience.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:04 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I don't even know... They say the economy is still bad in northeastern Brazil where life would be rough, so a lot of people from there would try to move to French Guiana where welfare is kind of better, although nothing much comfy, huh. There's some crime, racism and social issues in French Guiana as well, but less violently than in Brazil.
seriously, never heard of Brazilians going to French Guiana, specially due to welfare. But I have heard of people from french Guiana entering Brazil (better job opportunities, even in the northeast)

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 5:26 AM

Nearly a third of French Guiana's population is Brazilian immigrants, many of whom are illegals. They come to our country primarily for gold mining that is more flexible on our side than on the other of the border. And definitely for welfare indeed since in French Guiana as in any territory of the French Republic, even illegals get a free access to healthcare. Then of course, somebody has to pay for it. Well, we do, nationwide...

Enjoy your job opportunities, huh? Lol

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 8:32 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Nearly a third of French Guiana's population is Brazilian immigrants, many of whom are illegals. They come to our country primarily for gold mining that is more flexible on our side than on the other of the border. And definitely for welfare indeed since in French Guiana as in any territory of the French Republic, even illegals get a free access to healthcare. Then of course, somebody has to pay for it. Well, we do, nationwide...

Enjoy your job opportunities, huh? Lol

your ironic comment shows that you know nothing Jon Snow. Everyone, even illegals, also have free access to public healthcare in Brazil. Free healthcare in Brazil covers even plastic surgery, ultra expensive drugs, sex change operations, etc.

the quality of free health care fluctuates a lot between hospitals. Some of the best in the country are public, as well as some of the worst.

so the question is not that Guyana has free healthcare, because that they also have in Brazil. Its a question of knowing how good are Guyana hospitals.

and yes, also paid by brazilian taxes, which are some of the highest in the world, european levels, strangling a developing economy. So get off your high horse, will ya?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:49 PM

Whoa, some of you guys are still upset at Europeans, we keep noticing... You're wrong. The better you do, the better our own opportunities over there for real, eh. And we certainly wouldn't spit at more Brazilian investors in France, believe it. So get wealthier, that's all my sincere wishes to you.

BTW that's right, I didn't know the Brazilians paid for some universal healthcare system. We know how costly it is over here too, but the question is how and what we'd do without it. It seems pretty unfair and risky to let lower incomes and the unemployed pay for their health on their own. And in fact, as you surely know, right? we've got quite a lot of low incomes and more and more unemployed to deal with too. Time is rough over here as well. So you know, you've just got these 2 obvious options left.

1 - maintaining the system just about the way it is at the cost of your private sector competitiveness. That requires to be able to develop some higher quality goods and services to remain competitive, like the Germans partly do for instance. Although even in their country, it's far from easy for all, I hear. Their overall quality of life is sometimes questionable in some respects. Too many low income "poor workers" in particular, they say.

Or 2 - reforming your healthcare system, just selling it all to your private sector to relieve it and ease their investments, which could create lots of jobs indeed. That's closer to the US libertarian way, but that's what we French won't do. How could the poor afford healthcare while they're still jobless or something? Idk. I don't think we'd ever give up on universal healthcare paid by taxes, it's just too risky.

We don't pay for plastic surgery, though! Isn't it silly? At some point, you need to be selective and pay for what's really essential only.

I think we went somewhat off-topic, but whatever.

My apologies if I offended you. That wasn't my purpose. I know Brazil ain't bad, huh.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:05 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Whoa, some of you guys are still upset at Europeans, we keep noticing
I am not upset about europeans. I am upset at you for your previous post suggesting Brazil did not have public healthcare.

From WHERE, precisely, did you saw anything regarding I am upset at Europeans?

and what exactly do you mean with "still upset at europeans"?? Considering Brazil was settled by europeans, speaks an european language, follows an european religion (mostly), uses Roman Law, etc, etc, I see no reason to be upset at Europeans of the past. It would be like being upset about your own ancestors. (although that happens a lot even in europe, like French rooting for Asterix while despising the romans, as if over the centuries many romans had not mixed with gauls, plus all the culture Gaul acquired from Rome, and even the french language)

Quote:
... You're wrong. The better you do, the better our own opportunities over there for real, eh. And we certainly wouldn't spit at more Brazilian investors in France, believe it. So get wealthier, that's all my sincere wishes to you.
how is that related to anything I said?

Quote:
BTW that's right, I didn't know the Brazilians paid for some universal healthcare system. We know how costly it is over here too, but the question is how and what we'd do without it. It seems pretty unfair and risky to let lower incomes and the unemployed pay for their health on their own. And in fact, as you surely know, right? we've got quite a lot of low incomes and more and more unemployed to deal with too. Time is rough over here as well. So you know, you've just got these 2 obvious options left.

1 - maintaining the system just about the way it is at the cost of your private sector competitiveness. That requires to be able to develop some higher quality goods and services to remain competitive, like the Germans partly do for instance. Although even in their country, it's far from easy for all, I hear. Their overall quality of life is sometimes questionable in some respects. Too many low income "poor workers" in particular, they say.

Or 2 - reforming your healthcare system, just selling it all to your private sector to relieve it and ease their investments, which could create lots of jobs indeed. That's closer to the US libertarian way, but that's what we French won't do. How could the poor afford healthcare while they're still jobless or something? Idk. I don't think we'd ever give up on universal healthcare paid by taxes, it's just too risky.
that's the problem being a poor country. You are even more trapped between the two. Too much poor population to let them fend for themselves, too much poor population creating a burden on the private sector with high taxes... a burden that is HIGHER than on rich countries exactly because yes, the private sector IS less competetive because of worse ports, worse roads, less credit, smaller internal market for many types of products, etc.

Quote:
We don't pay for plastic surgery, though! Isn't it silly? At some point, you need to be selective and pay for what's really essential only.
actually, plastic surgery is paid only in cases where people had their faces ruined by some accident.

but sex change is considered plastic surgery and is covered, because GLB groups were adamant that it was psychological terror for a woman to be "trapped" in the body of a man, or something like it... so it was considered a matter of mental health...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States