HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 12:43 PM

Oklahoma City. I would like to see the metro in the 4 million range. Unlikely to happen soon, however.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 2:43 AM
Downtowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
I want to see Riverside, California become THE city of the Inland Empire.

Cheers that!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 5:00 PM

Billings MT, It would be nice to have a large metro in the northern mountain west between Seattle and Chicago. Sorry Spokane your not central enough between the two

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
Billings MT, It would be nice to have a large metro in the northern mountain west between Seattle and Chicago. Sorry Spokane your not central enough between the two
You'll probably get your wish, Billings is seeing massive growth. the city itself has increased by 6% in the last 5 years. and its metro is rapidly reaching 200k.

In general the mountain west cities are all the current "boom" towns and areas of rapid growth. Reno, Boise, Spokane, Denver, Phoenix, LAs Vegas, Salt Lake.

I see no reason to think this will slow down, the West coast was the former boom reign of the last century but now it is full and expensive. I think the interior is the next area to really develop.

It is near Oil reserves and on some major highways, I wouldn't be surprised to see it really take off in coming decades.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
You'll probably get your wish, Billings is seeing massive growth. the city itself has increased by 6% in the last 5 years. and its metro is rapidly reaching 200k.

In general the mountain west cities are all the current "boom" towns and areas of rapid growth. Reno, Boise, Spokane, Denver, Phoenix, LAs Vegas, Salt Lake.

I see no reason to think this will slow down, the West coast was the former boom reign of the last century but now it is full and expensive. I think the interior is the next area to really develop.

It is near Oil reserves and on some major highways, I wouldn't be surprised to see it really take off in coming decades.
I absolutely agree with this. Especially being a native of Boise. It has been remarkable being able to see first-hand the growth of this city over my years. This is a completely "different" city my daughter is growing up in than the one I did.......if that makes sense. It has been fun to watch but, like everything, it has definitely come with a price.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 5:49 AM

I feel like Tucson has the right geographic location, population, and geographic features to accent a greater urban area. However, I don't see any new tower growth any time soon which is unfortunate. But just imagine if this city became a mini financial capital. There's plenty of open space but also plenty of developed space.

Downtown Tucson and Southside Tucson by Andrew Pine, on Flickr

Downtown Tucson and Southside Tucson by Andrew Pine, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 10:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Scranton, Pennsylvania! For some reason I was slightly enchanted by Scranton when I visited. The city felt a little run down. I would love to see that place flourish. Syracuse, too. I like the old feeling of the city.
Glad u said Scranton! Everytime I think of Scranton I think of Dunder Mifflin Co. & Episodes of "The Office US". Is "The Office" as popular in the US as it is up here in Canada?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 10:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Yeah I felt he was hard to understand really too.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 10:52 AM
BANNED

I find this thread somewhat funny/ amusing, the US Population in general is downright enormous. (I do realize their are
some sparsely populated parts/ sections of the US), but that's relative to the US Context. In many, many Countries the World
over they'd kill for that population even as a Major City yet the US consider's many of these places to be small/ tiny xD.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 10:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzter123 View Post
I couldn't read this thread and not put a plug in for Fargo.

Metro pop at +200k (and growing fast), home to the 3rd largest Microsoft office campus in the world, growing high-tech research area ("Silicon Prairie"), major financial, insurance and health care employers, miles of sandy waterfront in the spring.
I don't mean to sound Rude but as long as Canada exists their just isn't a huge reason to live in Fargo in general, similar climate with fewer amenities.
(Not that it isn't a nice City either, I too would also like to see it grow more). If anything because of it's Proximity to Canada.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 10:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
Montana is Alberta's Little brother, US Cities that far North can't grow much because most Americans are terrified of the climate.
It's cute really.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 10:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Oklahoma City. I would like to see the metro in the 4 million range. Unlikely to happen soon, however.
I think it's plenty big already but maybe it's because I'm a Canadian, surprised u said 4 Million isn't that tiny in the US?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 10:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
^ Yes there are some Canadian cities that are incredibly urban for their size.

It's all about relativity I suppose..A metro of 400,000 is considered a strong medium sized metro, and is a regional hub. In the U.S, it would be a college town maybe...Syracuse NY would be considered a major metro up here much in the vein of Winnipeg or Hamilton.
Yeah Canada's Population just isn't as gigantic in general as the US is, but for a Country I feel we do very well globally for this reason.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 11:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSkyscraperDudeXx View Post
I would like to see Pittsburgh be a bigger City!
Doesn't Pittsburgh have a Metro Population of almost 3 Million, this is small to you?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 11:03 AM
BANNED

I'd like to see New York City get even bigger just because, somewhere has to Challenge Tokyo for population?
Besides the US has a Population about 9 times that of Canada. It should @ the very least have 1 Metro as big as the whole of Canada's Entire Population.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen12120 View Post
Nashville
Nashville is already growing both population and infrastructure. Not sure it qualifies as a "small city".

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 12:20 PM

Tallahassee. Its a great city.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
I find this thread somewhat funny/ amusing, the US Population in general is downright enormous. (I do realize their are
some sparsely populated parts/ sections of the US), but that's relative to the US Context. In many, many Countries the World
over they'd kill for that population even as a Major City yet the US consider's many of these places to be small/ tiny xD.
Personally anything with a metro area of less than like ~900,000/ 1 million as a Town.

Anything less than 100,000 is a small town

anything less than 10,000 is wilderness

anything less than 1,000 is myth and doesn't actually exist

but on a more serious note, despite our large population, especially once you get west of the Mississippi there is an enormous amount of open land, that area represents 2/3 of our landmass with less than 1/3 of the population, and over half of that is on the California coastline. The entire western USA is basically large metros like Phoenix, Denver, Vegas separated by thousands of square miles (twice as many kilometers) of open wilderness with a smattering of tiny villages in between.

So yes, where I live has almost 5 million people Metro, but the next closest city Tucson with less than 1 million is 150 miles away (that is considered close)

ABQ with >1 million is about 6 hours of open wilderness away, LA about 5 hours, Vegas, 4 hours, Salt Lake 10 hours, Denver 12-14 hours, Hermosillo Mexico ? 10 hours. El Paso? 12 hours

and very little if anything in between. SO yeah there is a lot of wide open space and if you are in a city like Billings or Boise there is nothing resembling a large city for hours and hours in any direction.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 2:44 AM

Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Rexburg, Blackfoot, Idaho.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 7:24 AM

Being from California, I'd like the central valley cities to grow into dense urban centers connected by, hopefully, by the future high speed rail line

Fresno - 2-3 million
Bakersfield - 2 million
Sacramento - 5 million

I'd like to see Los Angeles (currently 18.8 million) grow to rival Tokyo. We already got the footprint and public transportation is getting better by the day and there's a ton of infill happening all over the region but it'll take time.

I'd really love to see great plains cities like Omaha, Des Moines, Kansas City, Oklahoma City grow to be a medium tier city like Miami, Houston or Atlanta which have 5-6 million each.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States