Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 7:05 AM

alicdn.com

rastaimposta.com

yournexttshirt.com

rockawayjam.com

rockawayjam.com

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 8:57 AM
See ya down under, mates

Where I live almost no young people are from Canada, or see themselves as Canadians even if they were born here.

If they do, they seem to base their identity on the city they're from much more often than being "Canadian," whatever that is.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

rockawayjam.com
Don't tell Blackstar, Migs, and RRSkylar they are both getting this for Christmas.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Where I live almost no young people are from Canada, or see themselves as Canadians even if they were born here.

If they do, they seem to base their identity on the city they're from much more often than being "Canadian," whatever that is.
Though I think that in many of the larger Canadian cities the fact is that there are lots of young people who simply conflate their city with "Canada".

So in terms of semantics they're proud to be "Canadian" and of "Canada", but in their minds what they really mean by that is "Toronto" or "Vancouver" or some other city.

"Vancouver" or "Toronto" nationalism isn't really a thing.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Though I think that in many of the larger Canadian cities the fact is that there are lots of young people who simply conflate their city with "Canada".

So in terms of semantics they're proud to be "Canadian" and of "Canada", but in their minds what they really mean by that is "Toronto" or "Vancouver" or some other city.

To be fair, people complain about the urban bubble elsewhere (eg. "Londoners think their city is all of England" etc.), in countries all over so that's not a Canadian thing.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 8:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
To be fair, people complain about the urban bubble elsewhere (eg. "Londoners think their city is all of England" etc.), in countries all over so that's not a Canadian thing.
Of course. New Yorkers are famous for this.

But in Canada likely due to the absence of a pervasive national iconography it shows up even in surprising places with a sometimes jarring intensity.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 9:50 PM

Nevermind

Last edited by White Pine; Nov 21, 2017 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 10:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Of course. New Yorkers are famous for this.

But in Canada likely due to the absence of a pervasive national iconography it shows up even in surprising places with a sometimes jarring intensity.
I used to have a framed print out of that but I lost it somehow in moving. It's still one of my faves - it's perfect.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 10:35 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:

Maybe but I can't remember the last time I met someone between the ages of 25-50 or so who was born and raised in Vancouver. And I meet a lot of people through work. They're all gone.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 10:35 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

It seems identity is more manufactured now than it used to be. In the age of information overload we are told who we are, who we should be, how we should think of ourselves "nationally", and even what we should think much more than in the past. Political choice is a bit of an illusion. Of course, in the past, identity was also more connected and conflated with mainstream religious belief in Canada.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 10:53 PM

growing up all i can recall ever seeing for Canada day was this type of flag and they were usually handed out, you never actually bought "Canadiana" stuff.

now stores almost year round are filled with "Canadiana" stuff, flags on mugs, glasses, t-shirts, balls, pucks, stuffed toys etc etc. That's a more recent thing. Most of my friends my age say they don't remember growing up with this much crap.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:00 PM

something i find kinda funny is, there is a kid in my neighbourhood, he must be in his 20's now, but he was just a little kid like 4 or 5 maybe when I can remember seeing him and his friends playing outside. Anyway had not seen him in probably 10 or more years and he was outside with his friends one day and he was decked out in head to toe persian gear, i think his jacket even said persian pride and there were persian er Iranian flags on his jacket and his bag etc. All his friends were Iranian too. So here you have a kid raised since a toddler in Canada suddenly embracing his Iranian pride.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
something i find kinda funny is, there is a kid in my neighbourhood, he must be in his 20's now, but he was just a little kid like 4 or 5 maybe when I can remember seeing him and his friends playing outside. Anyway had not seen him in probably 10 or more years and he was outside with his friends one day and he was decked out in head to toe persian gear, i think his jacket even said persian pride and there were persian er Iranian flags on his jacket and his bag etc. All his friends were Iranian too. So here you have a kid raised since a toddler in Canada suddenly embracing his Iranian pride.
You'll see the same thing with some Italian-Canadians.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 2:48 AM
The Vomit Bag.

even more so in the US (esp. NYC/NJ)

guidos-ebaumsworld

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Don't tell Blackstar, Migs, and RRSkylar they are both getting this for Christmas.
From a distance that actually looks like Bruce Lee.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
You'll see the same thing with some Italian-Canadians.
Especially when Italy does well in the World Cup of Soccer (same thing with the Portuguese-Canadians, etc.)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:47 AM

Another thing you sometimes see is people flying or displaying the flag of their country of origin alongside the Canadian flag together as if to express the idea that they're both Canadian and still proud of their ancestral land.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
even more so in the US (esp. NYC/NJ)

guidos-ebaumsworld

Even though Canada is said to be less big on assimilation than the US, it appears that for some groups -- Italians, Irish or Mexicans, you see more outward displays of ethnic pride than for their Canadian counterparts.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Another thing you sometimes see is people flying or displaying the flag of their country of origin alongside the Canadian flag together as if to express the idea that they're both Canadian and still proud of their ancestral land.
In Northern Ontario you'll see it on vehicles and it's usually either Italian-Canadians or Finnish-Canadians.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada