HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The Kaden tower (Louisville, KY) always wins.

bluffton
Sawed-off Pez dispenser.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 6:01 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcolo View Post
Hold on a minute, you diss One Shell Center in New Orleans. At best it's just bland, and at worst it's bland as well.

Yet, you let Plaza Tower slide by???

Now this is an ugly arse building.

http://www.emporis.com/images/show/429658-Large.jpg
I think that tower is so ugly that its beautiful and just reeks of 1960s architecture. It's so horrible that its good. I remember the first time I went to New Orleans and saw that building, I was awe struck at how ugly it was, so its for sure very rememberable.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:12 AM
More transit please

BoA Corporate Center is awesome. Actually one of my favorite US skyscrapers. I believe Charlotte has some really nice buildings in it's skyline (Duke Energy, Hearst Tower). One Detroit Center is also one of my personal favorites.

Last edited by SkahHigh; Apr 28, 2017 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 12:09 AM

Delete

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Riverside Plaza in Minneapolis wins.

And to think this was to be about 10 times as big. Not taller, just more of the same. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside_Plaza

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 3:18 AM
Downtowner

Don't be dogging on LA's Tallest!

Ok!?!?!?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Personally, I find very few of these buildings to be as offensive as you make them out to be. Most of them are, at worst, unremarkable.

In complete agreement with you on: Fifth Avenue Place (Pittsburgh)

In complete disagreement with you on: Bank of America Corporate Center (Charlotte), and U.S. Bank Tower (L.A.)

Entertaining commentary, by the way. Thanks for the post.
Written as if H.L. Mencken were an architecture critic. Agree with some, but not all. Agree on the big triangle shaped building in Dallas. U.S. bank tower isn't that bad. Just wish it had a crown or spire to take it up to 1200' where it should be. "Tweezers tower" in SF isn't all that bad.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I think that tower is so ugly that its beautiful and just reeks of 1960s architecture. It's so horrible that its good. I remember the first time I went to New Orleans and saw that building, I was awe struck at how ugly it was, so its for sure very rememberable.
The "Edsel of skyscrapers". So bad its almost good.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
I can never accuse AT&T of building anything that's pleasing to the eye, but the Longlines building that they built for Downtown Kansas City is especially hidious. While I concede that it's a functional building and never meant for looks, they picked a piss poor spot. I personally nicknamed this one "The Sore Thumb" of downtown K.C. because that's exactly how it sticks out!! Built in 1973, you would have thought it was built in the 40s. The inside lobby is just as hidious..dark, depressing, and downright scary!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AT...as_City_MO.jpg

{{Information |Description={{en|1=AT&T Longlines Building, 1425 Oak Street, Kansas City, Missouri}} |Source=Photo by author |Author=User:Charvex |Date=18 July 2008 |Permission=Public domain |other_versions= }} {{ImageUpload|full}} [[Category:Kanss City,

(This is the first time I have ever used someone else's picture so I hope that I did it right)
Aren't the ATT buildings just filled with switching equipment, servers etc.? No need for windows really. That ATT building in downtown L.A. that has the big microwave tower on top is quite ugly. So is the old 43 story Crocker bank tower on 6th street that later had an ATT logo on it. The worst part is the big concrete wall on one side facing the freeway. Always thought there should be a mural on it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 1:18 AM

wiki

The One Museum Park in Chicago. This one is my least favorite building in the city. I feel like it was put together like a puzzle and it didn't workout. The variation of the window colors also bothers me, I don't see why they just didn't stick with one blue?? Also, that silver curved thing at the top... why, how does that make it look better?? It looks like it has a bad haircut!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanvinHomme View Post

wiki

The One Museum Park in Chicago. This one is my least favorite building in the city. I feel like it was put together like a puzzle and it didn't workout. The variation of the window colors also bothers me, I don't see why they just didn't stick with one blue?? Also, that silver curved thing at the top... why, how does that make it look better?? It looks like it has a bad haircut!
without crown

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:56 AM
1st Ward

OMP is no where near close to the top of the list when it comes to ugly buildings in Chicago.

Behold, AT&T 10 S Canal:

Source: skyscrapercenter.com

540 ft of mostly windowless concrete housing servers and telecommunications hardware.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:24 AM

^ I actually don't find these type of server buildings that unattractive. I'm a brutalist fan after all so I couldn't care less about the windows. The AT&T building on congress though has even less windows and it doesn't bother me one bit, lol.

source: sloopin.com

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 5:05 PM

We have the ugliest tallest of any city our size or larger. The James Rhodes Tower-an ugly building named for an even uglier person.

*Most of the those listed in the OP I either like or am indifferent about-but the commentary was fun.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 10:46 PM

Westin New York. I think without his colors line in every side it will be nice, but a blue and red line on the orange / blue side represent the imagination of the architect. We don't forget the blue side with 2 floor had different windows was a trying to had a contrast in design :/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 10:05 PM

This building in Newark called the Claremont Tower is the worst. It was supposed to be a pedestrian-friendly design as opposed to the fortresses of the Gateway Center but the FBI occupies it as a Newark/NYC field office so they turned it into a fortress. Their paranoia causes them to confront anyone that dares walk on that side of the road and they have fought against the Riverfront Park that is being gradually developed behind it.

The river side of it, where the riverfront park will be

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 6:32 AM

Long time follower of this forum here, first time poster.

Easily the most dreadful skyscraper in New York City has got to be 432 Park Avenue. Like many, many other skyscrapers from across America, it's a big, bland, unimaginative rectangular prism, but that's not the most offensive part of it. What is truly appalling about it is that someone allowed it to be taller than the ESB or the original WTC, which gives it a dominating presence on the Manhattan skyline. What a shame! NYC is home to some of the world's most famous skyscrapers, like the ESB, the Chrysler Bldg., the Woolworth Bldg., the WTC, 30 Rock, and so many others... and instead now the most prominent and immediately visible mark on the skyline from afar is this aberration.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States