HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:49 PM

I remember when the City saved the houses at Speedway and Euclid when Speedway was widened to six lanes. They lifted them from their foundations and moved them north at taxpayer expense. But having made that decision, I hope the developer finds another location to build up, up, up.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 7:01 PM

My girlfriend and I are coming down for the Roadrunner playoff game next Saturday, can anyone recommend a hotel in the area of the arena?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
My girlfriend and I are coming down for the Roadrunner playoff game next Saturday, can anyone recommend a hotel in the area of the arena?
I was just in Tucson this past weekend and the AC Marriott looks very cool. Very impressed with what's happening downtown ! Needs another commercial tower badly but the mid-rise density is getting very impressive and it's becoming a true destination point for the Tucson - so great to see!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
I was just in Tucson this past weekend and the AC Marriott looks very cool. Very impressed with what's happening downtown ! Needs another commercial tower badly but the mid-rise density is getting very impressive and it's becoming a true destination point for the Tucson - so great to see!
Thanks. We ended up at the El Armador, a downtown bed and breakfast. Sounds like it may be fairly new.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:36 PM

Another Lodging Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Thanks. We ended up at the El Armador, a downtown bed and breakfast. Sounds like it may be fairly new.
Don't forget the Downtown Clifton:
http://downtowntucsonhotel.com/

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Now View Post
Don't forget the Downtown Clifton:
http://downtowntucsonhotel.com/
Thanks, looking forward to spending some time in Tucson this weekend.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:10 AM

Got some photos of the progress at Aspire Tucson today. Finally above ground level!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:27 PM

Tucson City Council approves zoning for new Fourth Avenue apartment project

Good decision...good project. Forget all the outside negative noise. Many parcels bounded by Stone and 4th Ave between 5th St and the tracks need redevelopment. If anything takes away from the urban-vibe-culture of 4th Ave, in my opinion, is that large parking lot and enormous setback of the Maloney's/The Wreck building. A 30-ft structure along 4th Ave is close to height with the Coronado Hotel apartments...so its not a new concept. The 2 proposed developments have been mindful of the traditional heights of buildings on 4th Ave. IF a non-hip, local, chain, corporate establishment wanted to lease the ground floor of this specific project...well what and who owns Maloney's? The dialogue from folks who oppose the projects sounds country-a** backwards. We need density...we need housing...developers are interested in Tucson, its a good thing. If they were building the 14-story structures ON 4th Ave, I would agree and say they are going too far. But the specific design standards for that area limits what they can do and protect 4th Ave anyway.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:48 PM

A permit was issued last week for a utility relocation package at 930 E 2nd. This is the location of the Main Gate Square Residence Inn project and the permit number dates back to the application filed by the hotel developer, Tom Warne, for a utility relocation package in early 2016.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Tucson City Council approves zoning for new Fourth Avenue apartment project

Good decision...good project. Forget all the outside negative noise. Many parcels bounded by Stone and 4th Ave between 5th St and the tracks need redevelopment. If anything takes away from the urban-vibe-culture of 4th Ave, in my opinion, is that large parking lot and enormous setback of the Maloney's/The Wreck building. A 30-ft structure along 4th Ave is close to height with the Coronado Hotel apartments...so its not a new concept. The 2 proposed developments have been mindful of the traditional heights of buildings on 4th Ave. IF a non-hip, local, chain, corporate establishment wanted to lease the ground floor of this specific project...well what and who owns Maloney's? The dialogue from folks who oppose the projects sounds country-a** backwards. We need density...we need housing...developers are interested in Tucson, its a good thing. If they were building the 14-story structures ON 4th Ave, I would agree and say they are going too far. But the specific design standards for that area limits what they can do and protect 4th Ave anyway.
I am with you. The (high level) proposal seems to have done a good job of accommodating the unique location. The parking lot is a waste of space and I am glad there is some movement on redeveloping that whole lot.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
A permit was issued last week for a utility relocation package at 930 E 2nd. This is the location of the Main Gate Square Residence Inn project and the permit number dates back to the application filed by the hotel developer, Tom Warne, for a utility relocation package in early 2016.
Would the hotel need to resubmit plans, development package, etc?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
Would the hotel need to resubmit plans, development package, etc?
The development package still reflects "approved" status. The plans, however, are expired so I suppose they would have to be resubmitted.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
I am with you. The (high level) proposal seems to have done a good job of accommodating the unique location. The parking lot is a waste of space and I am glad there is some movement on redeveloping that whole lot.
I agree with you both. One of the complaints was that this type of project belongs downtown - it couldn't get any closer. I think the fact that this is at the downtown end of 4th and up against the tracks, along with the setback, dampens some of the criticism of the project. That and the fact that these are designed to be market-rate apartments which is what that area needs.

I also understand the point of those that want to keep 4th Avenue unique. But I don't see that replacing a parking lot and a bar at the end of the avenue with apartments and retail is going to impact the funkyness too much. But it could be a slippery slope if not managed right.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
I agree with you both. One of the complaints was that this type of project belongs downtown - it couldn't get any closer. I think the fact that this is at the downtown end of 4th and up against the tracks, along with the setback, dampens some of the criticism of the project. That and the fact that these are designed to be market-rate apartments which is what that area needs.

I also understand the point of those that want to keep 4th Avenue unique. But I don't see that replacing a parking lot and a bar at the end of the avenue with apartments and retail is going to impact the funkyness too much. But it could be a slippery slope if not managed right.
Good point.

I'll add that I had a conversation with various jurisdictional employees during lunch at one of the cafeterias downtown...and its shocking, more frustrating, on how mis-informed the public is on these projects. One bad headline...or all they hear is "tall buildings" and "4th Ave"...then its hard to reverse their initial misconception.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 8:41 PM

http://tiboaz.biz/2018/04/20/a-look-...nd-golf-links/

The scale of the project discussed in the above TIBO post sounds like it could be related to the mystery 5,000-job employer we've heard rumors about.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
http://tiboaz.biz/2018/04/20/a-look-...nd-golf-links/

The scale of the project discussed in the above TIBO post sounds like it could be related to the mystery 5,000-job employer we've heard rumors about.
I remember running into these designs late last year on the city's website. I'm glad they're going vertical (slightly) but that design looks hideous, at least how it's presented. A few shops and one building (an oddly shaped one at that) surrounded by a giant parking lot. How original.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 3:45 AM

The proposed 20-story building at Campbell & Speedway is back in the news.

Nearly 400KSF Mixed-Use Proposed in Tucson

By Roland Murphy for Arizona Builder’s Exchange

A nearly 60-year-old, 152-unit apartment complex near the gateway to the University of Arizona main campus in Tucson would make way for a residential/hospitality/retail mixed-use development under a proposal currently before the city Zoning Examiner.

Property International submitted the request on behalf of property owners Shenkarow Realty Advisors and Palm Shadows Joint Venture to rezone the 2.5-acre site at the NWC of Campbell Avenue and Speedway Boulevard from R-3 & C1 to Planned Area Development. Located near UA, Arizona Health Sciences Center and Banner University Medical Center, the apartments and under-utilized site would be replaced by, “a mixed-use activity center with retail, grocery, hospitality and/or multifamily residential and professional or medical office for a total square footage ranging from 360KSF-420KSF,” according to city documents.

With its proximity to the Helen Street streetcar stop, the development would be intended to expand pedestrian activity at the street level and further activate Helen Street. As both a pedestrian- and transit-oriented development, the site will be directly linked to the streetcar line, a major sidewalk network, bus lines and a bike share station.

The 20-story, 250-feet high-rise component would have a mix of office space, residential and, possibly, hospitality on the upper floors. Heights transition to two 10-story portions along Speedway Boulevard (154 feet) and Campbell Avenue (130 feet). Street level would have retail, restaurant, grocery or other commercial uses with professional or medical office space above.

All the buildings would have a double-layered façade faced with terracotta, metal or composite resin. The complex also will feature a central outdoor plaza of 7.5KSF and open to the sky to accommodate community and group social events.

Parking for the development will consist of four levels of above street parking and two-to-four levels of subsurface space. Above ground parking will be designed to blend with the four-sided architecture to reflect the overall building design.

Based on the traffic analysis, recommended improvements to the surrounding area include expansion of the Helen Street entrance, a northwest dedicated turn lane, and a stop control at the intersection with Helen Street.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 3:32 PM

Update on The Trinity project

Quote:
The first phase of the project will be construction of a three-story office building along University Boulevard, between the church and Time Market, said Randi Dorman, with R+R Develop. She and her husband, architect Rob Paulus, are developing the project along with Bourn Cos.

The second phase will be a four-story residential building, south of the church on Fourth Avenue with 58 market-rate apartments, ground-floor retail and sidewalk dining.

The sale for the parcel on University Boulevard is scheduled to close April 30 and developers plan to break ground in the fall, with construction expected to take between 12 and 18 months.
Full Story from the Arizona Daily Star here

Image: Rob Paulus Architects

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
The proposed 20-story building at Campbell & Speedway is back in the news.

Nearly 400KSF Mixed-Use Proposed in Tucson

By Roland Murphy for Arizona Builder’s Exchange

A nearly 60-year-old, 152-unit apartment complex near the gateway to the University of Arizona main campus in Tucson would make way for a residential/hospitality/retail mixed-use development under a proposal currently before the city Zoning Examiner.

Property International submitted the request on behalf of property owners Shenkarow Realty Advisors and Palm Shadows Joint Venture to rezone the 2.5-acre site at the NWC of Campbell Avenue and Speedway Boulevard from R-3 & C1 to Planned Area Development. Located near UA, Arizona Health Sciences Center and Banner University Medical Center, the apartments and under-utilized site would be replaced by, “a mixed-use activity center with retail, grocery, hospitality and/or multifamily residential and professional or medical office for a total square footage ranging from 360KSF-420KSF,” according to city documents.

With its proximity to the Helen Street streetcar stop, the development would be intended to expand pedestrian activity at the street level and further activate Helen Street. As both a pedestrian- and transit-oriented development, the site will be directly linked to the streetcar line, a major sidewalk network, bus lines and a bike share station.

The 20-story, 250-feet high-rise component would have a mix of office space, residential and, possibly, hospitality on the upper floors. Heights transition to two 10-story portions along Speedway Boulevard (154 feet) and Campbell Avenue (130 feet). Street level would have retail, restaurant, grocery or other commercial uses with professional or medical office space above.

All the buildings would have a double-layered façade faced with terracotta, metal or composite resin. The complex also will feature a central outdoor plaza of 7.5KSF and open to the sky to accommodate community and group social events.

Parking for the development will consist of four levels of above street parking and two-to-four levels of subsurface space. Above ground parking will be designed to blend with the four-sided architecture to reflect the overall building design.

Based on the traffic analysis, recommended improvements to the surrounding area include expansion of the Helen Street entrance, a northwest dedicated turn lane, and a stop control at the intersection with Helen Street.
250-feet would make it Tucson's 2nd tallest I believe? Can't not want that to happen. Prefer something in the 20+ range go up DT where it really could make a drastic upgrade in vertical identify. But all's good with this too...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:37 PM

Update on The Trinity project

Full Story from the Arizona Daily Star here

I like this project a lot and appreciate what the developers did in regards to working with the neighborhood to get majority support and the proper scale.

HOWEVER, this quote is alarming: “We had 19 neighborhood meetings,” Dorman said. “We’re very sensitive and have developed the plan all along with them.” This is what gives the City of Tucson the label and reputation of being non-business and difficult to work with. To expect developers to go through that many neighborhood meetings is insane. Very honorable for this development group to go through that, but 19 is ridiculous. Ten (10) would had given me heartburn, but sheesh, 19.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest