Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 4:26 PM

Moreso than ever, US becoming a nation of immigrants

438 million in 2050!!!

In 2020, 1 in 7 People in U.S. May Be Foreign-Born

NYTimes
By SAM ROBERTS
Published: February 11, 2008

If present trends continue, within two decades the proportion of immigrants in the United States will surpass the peak reached more than a century ago, a new analysis concludes.

The Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan research group, estimates that sometime between 2020 and 2025, the foreign-born will account for 15 percent of the American population, or more than 1 in 7 residents. They represented about 12 percent of the population in 2005, 14.7 percent in 1910 and about 15 percent in the late 19th century.

Trends farther ahead are typically harder to predict. Still, the Pew Center projects that in 2050, 19 percent of Americans will be foreign-born; that the share of Hispanic residents will more than double to 29 percent from 14 percent in 2005; and that the proportion of Asians will almost double, from 5 percent to 9 percent.

The center estimates that the total population will grow to 438 million in 2050, with immigrants accounting for 82 percent, or 117 million, of the increase. But because births in the United States to Hispanic and Asian immigrant parents will play a progressively greater role in population growth, according to the analysis, by 2050 a smaller proportion of both groups will be foreign born in than is the case today.

The native-born Hispanic population, already about 60 percent of all Hispanic residents, would rise to 67 percent in 2050. In 2005, about 58 percent of Asians were foreign born, but by 2050, only 47 percent would be.

The analysis, by Jeffrey S. Passel and D’Vera Cohn, projects a higher rate of immigration than a number of federal agencies do. But it concludes, as the federal agencies have, that the share of blacks in the population will remain roughly steady — about 13 percent in 2050, compared with 12 percent in 2005 — while the proportion of non-Hispanic whites will shrink below half the population, to 47 percent.

Because the vast wave of baby boomers will be joining the ranks of the elderly, the number of young and elderly compared to the number of working people — the so-called dependency ratio — would rise to 72 per 100 in 2050, compared with 59 per 100 in 2005. The ratio would be even higher in the future, according to the projections, if the rate of immigration slows.

The authors caution that their projections are subject to changes in behavior, legislation and other events, but that they “offer a starting point for understanding and analyzing the parameters of future demographic change.”

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 5:51 PM

Good Lord.
I wonder how many will be Chinese or Hispanic?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 4:30 AM
Beer Stampede

Last edited by kcexpress69; May 1, 2016 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 3:02 PM

god forbid the USA becomes a country of immigrants.... i mean where did all these white people come from???? i tell you if we dont stop these boats these white people will just keep coming and coming and coming from europe. and where would all the NATIVE americans and latins go??? you know the people that this land belong to before the white man came..... AND SLAUTERED!!!

and for the record i'm not racist and i am married to a white man!!! just cant stand the typical white american thinking this is their land and it never was...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 11:01 PM

I think that having immigrants is a good sign that the nation is doing well. If it werent than people wouldnt want to come. Just look at Dubai, its immigrant population accounts for 90% or more of the entire population and thats because the city is progressing so much. All great empires and nations have either attracted immigrants or themselves conquered people to be part of the population. I couldnt (or wouldnt want to) imagine a United States without people wanting to come here. When that day comes, you can be sure that we wont be the most powerful nation on earth.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltnpapi4u View Post
god forbid the USA becomes a country of immigrants.... i mean where did all these white people come from???? i tell you if we dont stop these boats these white people will just keep coming and coming and coming from europe. and where would all the NATIVE americans and latins go??? you know the people that this land belong to before the white man came..... AND SLAUTERED!!!

and for the record i'm not racist and i am married to a white man!!! just cant stand the typical white american thinking this is their land and it never was...
Don't worry, I understand what you mean.

In fact, there were as many as 33 million Native Americans ALREADY taking residence in North America before the settlers from Europe arrived.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelpr View Post
I think that having immigrants is a good sign that the nation is doing well. If it werent than people wouldnt want to come. Just look at Dubai, its immigrant population accounts for 90% or more of the entire population and thats because the city is progressing so much. All great empires and nations have either attracted immigrants or themselves conquered people to be part of the population. I couldnt (or wouldnt want to) imagine a United States without people wanting to come here. When that day comes, you can be sure that we wont be the most powerful nation on earth.
True; due to the slumping value of the Dollar, i'm sure more foreigners will reside in America.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Don't worry, I understand what you mean.

In fact, there were as many as 33 million Native Americans ALREADY taking residence in North America before the settlers from Europe arrived.
And how many Native Americans where there after the settlement?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 8:29 PM

Currently, there are nearly 2,786,652 living here. But those Census numbers are from 2003; so it may have topped 3,000,000 already.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 4:07 AM
Beer Stampede

Last edited by kcexpress69; May 1, 2016 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
Geez... Where do I start??

No! I don't consider you a racist, but I honestly believe your comments are very unfair. First of all, I was born here!! So yes, I believe this country is just as much mine as anybody elses. Second of all, yes this country had a dark past. However, I had nothing to do with it, and neither did anybody else who is living here today. So trying to make everybody feel guilty over something they can't change is wrong also. Third, I welcome anyone into this country who wants to make a better life for themselves and their families in a legal fashion And I'm talking about people from Latin America, East Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. What I don't want to see is our irresponsible government to open the borders and tell everybody "come on in" and watch our country grow so fast that our economy tanks. It could very well happen, and people who think the economy can handle it will have the surprise coming.

No. I'm not a racist either. So think about it VERY HARD before you come in and attack me for my above comments.
You are 100% correct on what you said... however the only thing is how hyprotical is this country telling other people not to do what their ancesters did themselves to have better lives.... If it wasnt for them coming here invading this land none of you guys will be here today. also it is a fact that nearly most off all europeans that came to north america came here illegally. so why was it ok for the europeans to come when they did as suppose to the latins coming now........

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 6:00 AM
Beer Stampede

Last edited by kcexpress69; May 1, 2016 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 7:00 PM

Quote:
What I don't want to see is our irresponsible government to open the borders and tell everybody "come on in" and watch our country grow so fast that our economy tanks. It could very well happen, and people who think the economy can handle it will have the surprise coming.
I'm not attacking you(in fact I think what he said was stupid); but look at China and India. The primary reason why they're economies are accelerating is because of one simple thing..........labor. I mean, look at gas prices. Alot of it is because of those asian countries have just too many Chinese and Indian residents.

Those markets WILL continue to double and double and double until they're ratio of poverty and and middle-class is on par with America.

With a larger population (especially foreign-born), it's true that there will be short-term contraction in the economy, however the potential size and influence will be enormous.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 2:43 AM
Beer Stampede

Last edited by kcexpress69; May 1, 2016 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 3:02 AM
Hmmm....

What do you blame NAFTA for?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 3:53 AM

Quote:
My take on India and China is this. I agree that both countries are growing economicaly. China is doing much better than it was 10 years ago. India is still far behind with a 27% unemployment rate. I'm not sure how long it will take before it's on par with the United States. The thing that is tough to swallow, is that our manufacturing base has taken several big blows over the years. It's hard to buy anything at a store anymore that's NOT made in China, or southeast Asia. It's certainly not their fault. I blame the American companies for doing that. And NAFTA of course. We need our manufacturing base. I think it would go much further than the service industry. Especially if those reports are accurate that the US will be at 438 Million by 2050.
Why do you blame NAFTA? It is China, India and other countries that are not even part of it that are taking our jobs. Mexico and Canada are having the same problems we are having, they are losing jobs overseas. If all these jobs were suppostly going to Mexico then we wouldnt have an immigration problem because they would have so many jobs that companies would be raising thier wages to compete for labor.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 3:34 AM
Beer Stampede

Last edited by kcexpress69; May 1, 2016 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:20 AM

What it truly comes down to is that the Mexican government is as corrupted as a Trojan-controlled computer. It has taken WAAYY to long for that country to industrialize for them to have a legitimate reason not to prevent non-legal migrations to the U.S.

Hence they're government isn't (and quite frankly, I'm starting to get the feeling that they don't want to) going deal with poverty. I've been there, and it's pretty bad in the slums; which in turn forces illegal immigrants to cross the border.

The conflict in Central and South America with Columbia is not helping at all, either. Also, that anti-american Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is starting PISS ME OFF! His childish rhetoric is costing the American taxpayer greatly, as crude oil today closed at $104 a barrel!

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Mar 6, 2008 at 4:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 1:27 AM
Beer Stampede

Last edited by kcexpress69; May 1, 2016 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 5:40 PM

^

Read the "Chavez warns war with Columbia" thread....you will find my true feelings when it comes to this man and his insane policies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States