HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:36 AM

Question What is the Brazilian population of your city?

What is the percentage or population of Brazilians living in your city? Also, is it less popular for Brazilians to immigrate to the U.S. than other Latin Americans?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 5:49 PM

The local Brazilian Coummunity Center estimates there are 30,000 to 40,000 in Metro Atlanta, mostly in suburban Cobb County.

We are seeing increasing ties to Brazil here, with daily nonstops to Sao Paulo and Rio as well as a new Consulate opening soon.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
The local Brazilian Coummunity Center estimates there are 30,000 to 40,000 in Metro Atlanta, mostly in suburban Cobb County.

We are seeing increasing ties to Brazil here, with daily nonstops to Sao Paulo and Rio as well as a new Consulate opening soon.
Why are they choosing Cobb County instead Atlanta proper?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 10:35 PM
Closed account

Location: Chicago(Palatine), San Antonio(78208), Piedras Negras, Mexico
Thumbs up Sao Paulo---!!WOW!!

You know out all skylines, I have never seen Sao Paulo's until I saw the movie Blindness. I think Sao Paulo has a very intriguing skyline. I think there should be a thread devoted to it and more pictures of it. When I first saw it I could not figure out what city it was, and I can tell most of the cities of the world by just looking at a building or two, but Sao Paulo has a unique skyline that I've never seen before!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 8:43 PM
Closed account

]And here is the picture of Sao Paulo that I'm a big fan of! What an interesting part of Sao Paulo!!

Last edited by max777; Oct 28, 2008 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 2:45 PM
Closed account

Help needed with photobucket

figured it out!

Last edited by max777; Oct 29, 2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: picture

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 11:29 PM
Closed account

What a lovely city? I think it's Brazil's best city? yea or nay?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 1:53 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

I'm not sure what the population is here in Portland but my guess is that it is no larger than 1,000-2,000.

Anyhow, there are many brasileiros in Honolulu in the North Shore area and areas near Waikiki (many hang out in an area near Queens Beach). There's also a Brazilian Cultural Center, local Weekly TV and radio shows, futevolei club, soccer clubs, consulate, festivals/parades, bands, church, etc. There's also a rapid growing community on Maui.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers in Hawaii because they often blend in with the local Portuguese population as there are thousands (+60,000) of descendents from Portugal and Cape Verde. However, I do know that many have arrived illegally (or overstay visas) because they've been among the many in recent years being deported along with other South & Central Americans and Europeans in the state working in construction, retail or hospitality.

This pic is of one of the popular spots near Waikiki that they hang out.

Anyway, the majority that do migrate to the U.S. settle in New York, Miami, and Boston. There are many that migrate to other places of course but the overwhelming majority choose the three I just mentioned. They also do secondary migrations because i've known two families personally that started off in New York before finally settling in Hawaii and that's not unusual nationally.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 8:08 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max777 View Post

What a lovely city? I think it's Brazil's best city? yea or nay?
hmmm... CENU complex... this pic is old btw, the suspended bridge in front of it isnt even being built yet!

also, this shows like a VERY SMALL part of the skyline, kilometers away from downtown.

I also suggest you watching the Amazing Race episode where they fly in helicopters over São Paulo.

landing in São Paulo
Video Link

Video Link

pictures from Gutooo
Video Link

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 6:09 AM

I've been noticing a lot more Brazilians here in Los Angeles. It sometimes is hard to see who's Brazilian or not because the country is so diverse. Most of the Brazilians I know here are either Black or Pardo. I don't know their exact numbers though.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 4:32 AM
B-MORE than u strive for!

here in baltimore, there are very minimal. however, we do have a wonderful brazilian steakhouse to offer! fogo de chao

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 5:20 PM

Fogo de Chao is a national chain, they have it in a bunch of cities. Here in Philly, we have a pretty sizable Brazilian population in the Northeast. Estimates are 15,000....most coming from Minas Gerais and Goiás states that tend to me on the rural side. Here's a good article about the neighborhood they've settled:
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=12880

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 10:28 PM

I am from Sao Paulo, Living in Miami and everyday i go shopping i hear people speaking in Portuguese (Which you can't even compare to the amount speaking Spanish, more then half the people speak spanish)

I was surprised when i didn't see Sao Paulo in the top ten list for most buildings and when i searched for it on skyscraperpage.com i got this ( http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?10=2 ) 306 buildings I can see much more then that from my grandmas house there!
Emporis lists 5,453 buildings and 556 U/C which is correct ( http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/sk/?id=101076 )

Sao Paulo probably had more then 306 buildings in 1947 let alone 2008 - Look at the pictures from that date: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=161713

*(I sent a email early 2008 requesting a change in the Sao Paulo building count but nothing happened)

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 1:06 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomaz View Post
I am from Sao Paulo, Living in Miami and everyday i go shopping i hear people speaking in Portuguese (Which you can't even compare to the amount speaking Spanish, more then half the people speak spanish)

I was surprised when i didn't see Sao Paulo in the top ten list for most buildings and when i searched for it on skyscraperpage.com i got this ( http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?10=2 ) 306 buildings I can see much more then that from my grandmas house there!
Emporis lists 5,453 buildings and 556 U/C which is correct ( http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/sk/?id=101076 )

Sao Paulo probably had more then 306 buildings in 1947 let alone 2008 - Look at the pictures from that date: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=161713

*(I sent a email early 2008 requesting a change in the Sao Paulo building count but nothing happened)

stop being foolish. Emporis building count is also incredibly wrong. São Paulo has over 40 thousand buildings over 12 floors, according to a list SSC forumer Cello got from a friend who works in the City Hall.

But you must remember that NEITHER Emporis nor SSP can have the correct lists JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT. Compiling such lists is an incredibly hard work. Do you think that just because you sent an email to SSP, the SSP owner (who maintains the forum in his spare time) will hire like 50 different people to go to São Paulo and compile a complete list??

Both SSP and Emporis lists depends on CONTRIBUTORS! Emporis has about 5 brazilian editors, thats why they were able to compile a list of 5 thousand buildings. If you want both lists to grow, HELP them grow by working on compiling such lists.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 11:07 PM
if I sang out of tune

I'm in London, about 100,000 Brazilian born in the city. About 300,000 of Brazilian ancestry in the country.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 10:48 PM

Miami has a lot that it is for sure, but I could not say a number.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:03 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
I'm in London, about 100,000 Brazilian born in the city. About 300,000 of Brazilian ancestry in the country.
too many brazilians in London. Maybe its good for them, but it sucks for brazilian tourists.

I mean, I dont want to hear portuguese in every corner while visiting a foreign city!

Plus, when I was in London I was in a bus and reading a Tube map to discover what station should I enter to reach Canary Wharf.

And there was this hottie with big tits sitting on my side, and I said that to my friend, in portuguese "olha os peitos dessa mina ali" (look at that chick tits!). A few moments later, I asked him "do you think we should get out here to reach "x" station?

And the "english" hottie answered in perfect brazilian portuguese "no, wait for the next bus stop".

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 6:06 AM

How exactly do you find out the population of Brazilians in a given US city or metro area?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 5:13 PM
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
And there was this hottie with big tits sitting on my side, and I said that to my friend, in portuguese "olha os peitos dessa mina ali" (look at that chick tits!). A few moments later, I asked him "do you think we should get out here to reach "x" station?

And the "english" hottie answered in perfect brazilian portuguese "no, wait for the next bus stop".
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..............

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 10:08 PM
BANNED

here in toronto, i have personally counted 294 brazilians. (mostly from bumper sticker flags)
altho, i have also counted well over 1000 'portuguesians'(?) -whom oscillate between being this or that -especially during soccer season -which seems perpetual -for them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States