HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:19 AM

Thanks Vellu. I'm making a few more 'mansions' to make a millionaires row near downtown. It should be interesting.

In the meantime, I was staring at the modern convention center in the city and finally realized that the total modernness never really fit in. I went back to the drawing board and came up with this:

Its not done so I don't want to ruin the other views just yet. I'll try to post a picture soon of a pretty big portion of the city.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 3:06 AM

Another quick update. Here's a picture of a new building that curves in the front along with a pretty neat park in front. The short building with the green roof in the background is also new. You can see that better in the second picture.

Here's the Baum Liberty building. It's named after the Baum Liberty Insurance Company that used to be headquartered there. They're since moved. Now, there's a hotel on the top 2 floors with middle 2 floors office and the bottom floor a small shopping center. Also, you can see the Monaca Expo Center's tower in the background.

This will be the last update for probably 2 weeks. I'm heading to NYC all next week Should be some good inspiration there!

As always, comments / suggestions are appreciated!

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 8:38 AM

Wow nice, you really should try and render these. NYC - jealous, yeah undoubtedly fantastic inspiration, have a great time.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 9:56 AM

Really beautiful! The mix of old and new buildings is lovely and the detail level of especially those older buildings is stunning. I really wish and hope you would render some of these wonderful scenes!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 9:02 PM

This city is awesome, the detail is great. Are you still working on it?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 4:51 AM

Austin,

Yeah, I'm still working on it. It is a long process but things are coming together. I started on a new area on the south side of the river but no picture updates for a few weeks.

I'm busy finishing up my Masters of Engineering in August. Can't wait!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 9:25 PM

Seeing that it's been close to 4 years since I've made an update, I feel bad! (Especially since my past post said updates will be coming in a couple of weeks) I can't say there has been much progress on the city but I've made a few models here and there that may be integrated into this city or at least a small portion.

So in the past couple of years, I finished undergrad, got my masters, and have been working as a consultant for developers in Washington, DC. I guess time flies when you're having fun, right?

Anyway, I figured I'd upload a few pictures I found and thought you may be interested in. After going back and reading all your comments, you guys prodded enough that I even tried rendering. Comments/suggestions always welcome!

So i'll start with two models I created for a subway system. My plan is to integrate these into the city in some way. The first one is minimal with a large roof over the platform:

The second has a large shell with the station covered. Picture one looking at the opening:

Picture two from above:

This is a small area I started from scratch with some higher quality streetscape. I hope to keep my models this intricate as I continue. Obviously the building is nowhere near completed but I like the shape so far:

This is the building next door and again, it's not complete, especially the ground level:

Here's a view of the newer section of the city across the river. You may recall the red bridge from some earlier images. I added two new twin bridges. The new hockey arena is in white in the background. Only massing is complete on the complex:

I created a new tower to include in the city somewhere. It's large and somewhat bland, but that's what I was going for:

In-progress shot of the university area. I remember showing this view some time ago but it wasn't quite as complete as I'm showing it now. There's still a lot of work to do, including the building in the foreground:

Last but not least, I rendered the house I created in one of my last updates:

I won't promise any updates but know that I'll always be having fun with SketchUp and will try to share some designs here.

Thanks!

Last edited by guyFROMtheBURGH; Feb 13, 2016 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 7:04 PM

Great to see Monaca back. It's one of the most realistic cities in here. The new buildings look good. I especially like the subway station.

Nice to see those renders! They would look even better with some reflections ;-)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 1:27 AM

Thanks Vellu! It's good to be back. I'm not sure how active this forum is anymore but I'll keep posting for any lurkers...

I wish I could add reflections to my renders as well but my computer is bursting at the seams with these already. Maybe with a work computer, we'll see. As for now...

I started a new residential condo building. It was complicated with the angled curtain wall but fun to make. Here's a detail shot (work in progress):

Same building from further out.

Now for the crown jewel of the new neighborhood...the sports arena! I have to come up with a good name but suggestions accepted!

Close-up shot as I began, showing detail:

Gate 2:

Here's the start of the arena from further back. There will be a park between the arena and the residential building (previewed earlier) in the background:

Trust me, there's a lot to go but I am trying to update as it's being built. Hopefully it'll provide a spark to the forum.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 10:23 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Cool models! I am new to these forums and find this interesting. We don't have anything like this over at skyscrapercity.com so I wish I had found this alot sooner. Can you post some updated skyline pics?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:48 PM

I didn't even know this city was on here. This is a really nice looking city!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 2:11 PM

That condo building's facade looks very good. It would very interesting to see it rendered with brown tinted glass and all

Looking forward to seeing that sports arena finished.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 11:58 PM

Thanks everyone for coming by to see my updates!

BillM - Thanks!

Vellu - I'd love to be able to render glass but no such luck so far. My computer was screaming at my simple renderings shown below so a new computer may be necessary one of these days...

Spidey - I'm glad you like my idea of trying to create an entire city. It's a lot to try to manage but I built it in sections so an overall picture will show many incomplete areas. Even though I don't love showing my works in progress, I'd rather share them and not. So without further ado:

So here's an overview of the entire buildable area I've been working from for a few years now. Again, there are a lot of very, very, very incomplete areas and some placeholders so if it looks confusing, it probably is. You can see the main part of the city where the river snakes around it and a bunch of bridges that cross. The two main bridges from the west (left) to the east (right) carry the highway in and out of town. There are two interchanges included so far and I'm trying to keep the downtown as built-up as possible so vehicular traffic doesn't take over.

On the image below, you can see east of the river, where the red bridge takes the highway traffic and the twin bridges take the local traffic. This is where the hockey/sports arena is situated (shown in white as it's incomplete). This part of town won't be so vertical but will be very dense. A parkway will connect the major parts of town along this side of the river.

This view is from the west, looking east to downtown. There will be an urban area west of the river (bottom of the picture) and will provide some great views of the convention center and skyscrapers directly across. Lastly, a sneak preview of a manufacturing area is shown on the bottom of this picture and can be seen better in the first picture. Currently a work in progress...

Now that this is all out in the open, if anyone wants a close-up of a certain area, just let me know! Also, I want to put together a simple map showing the different regions of the city, which will help me plan things better. More to come in the future...

As always, comments/suggestions always welcome!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 12:26 PM

Wow! This city is a lot bigger than I had figured out. These overview shots are great! The layout looks very realistic and I love the skyline - the building shapes and sizes are so varied, yet very realistic.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 1:00 PM

I have fun looking at the aerial views and then trying to figure out where some of the street scenes fit in.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 9:36 PM
Desert Dweller

Holy crap I totally forgot about Monaca! It looks beautiful rendered, the layout is absolutely flawless and flows so well, I hope you've still been active with Monaca because I'd love to see some updates!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 10:37 PM

Holy Crap indeed, It's absolutely fantastic!!! In one update you've made it into one of my favorite cities. those last aerial views are absolutely extraordinary, colorful yet realistic, the ground level details and bridges blend very well with the mass of buildings.
makes me wanna buy that empty lot in the middle of downtown, or develop the West (south?) bank of the river (with a buffer riverside park of course)
wow! eager to see updates

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 6:25 PM

Thanks, all. I never seem to update as quickly as I would like but I've put a few hours in recently and hope to get some snapshots to share soon. I've been busy with my personal life recently - got a new job and moved north to the Lehigh Valley in PA - only 1.5 hours from NYC and 1 hour from Philly!

VertX - I took your advice and created an riverfront park on the south side, thanks for the great idea

I'll try to keep the larger scale images coming as well

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 11:33 PM

Hey all,

I haven't done any sketching until recently but want to share something with you. It's just an isolated building now but it's designed for a lot so it'll be placed in the future:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:41 AM
Pro Web Slinger

Good to see you back

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup