HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

does anyone know how many condo units OCS has?

i'm trying to get a handle on the relative chances of the three supertalls and couldn't remember. my memory says it was a relatively low number.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 10:18 PM
1st Ward

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...025-story.html

795 rental
75 condo

Article is from October 2017, so those numbers might have changed a bit, but the general ratio is probably about the same. OCS will be building the condo units on spec, as they only represent under 9% of the total units.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
does anyone know how many condo units OCS has?

i'm trying to get a handle on the relative chances of the three supertalls and couldn't remember. my memory says it was a relatively low number.
At this point, I’d say this and 400 LSD have the best chance, wouldn’t you say? I think we have a solid shot at both of projects coming to fruition; this particular site is just way to premium to pass up, and not have a signature project. And I completely trust Related’s ability to get 400 LSD off the ground. I don’t know much about the developer for the Tribune Addition. But it’s a much bigger project, and presumably more costly.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 3:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...025-story.html

795 rental
75 condo

Article is from October 2017, so those numbers might have changed a bit, but the general ratio is probably about the same. OCS will be building the condo units on spec, as they only represent under 9% of the total units.

cool. condos on spec. that should help.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 3:20 PM

I dont see WPS having any trouble geting the green light after East is completed. I dont know how much that would have an impact on these tall guys.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 4:13 PM

less of a glut up at OCS location near gold coast etc

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 4:25 PM
The City

My wager on what will get built "this cycle":

Will make it:

OCS -- developer has landed some seriously dope luxury condo deals just a few blocks north of that, is flush with cash, and probably doesn't need condo presales.

400 N LSD -- Related pulled it off with OBP, must be getting good sales numbers, has a lot of financial backing. They will pull this off too. Although far from the main shopping/nightlife parts of town, it is a STELLAR location, perhaps the best, plus you're near Navy Pier and LSD. Great place for a pied a terre. They'll get it done

XXXXXXX -- these won't make it, imagine a loud "buzzer" sound:

Tribune Tower -- sorry guys, not enough room for 4. Great location, but I don't see this team pulling off the Batman Tower quite yet. Better luck next decade

WPS -- again, great tower but if it's going to be some sort of mix user, hybrid office thingy, I just don't think we have enough market absorption yet for this. And residential? Condos? Possibly chances would improve, but I don't know if this team has the track record for high end condos the way JDL and Related do.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 4:52 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Will make it:

OCS -- developer has landed some seriously dope luxury condo deals just a few blocks north of that, is flush with cash, and probably doesn't need condo presales.

400 N LSD -- Related pulled it off with OBP, must be getting good sales numbers, has a lot of financial backing. They will pull this off too. Although far from the main shopping/nightlife parts of town, it is a STELLAR location, perhaps the best, plus you're near Navy Pier and LSD. Great place for a pied a terre. They'll get it done

Tribune Tower -- sorry guys, not enough room for 4. Great location, but I don't see this team pulling off the Batman Tower quite yet. Better luck next decade

WPS -- again, great tower but if it's going to be some sort of mix user, hybrid office thingy, I just don't think we have enough market absorption yet for this. And residential? Condos? Possibly chances would improve, but I don't know if this team has the track record for high end condos the way JDL and Related do.
WPS will be built... eventually. I don't see Hines not finishing up this up, they have deep pockets and are more than capable of waiting out a recession.

The Tribune proposal I am more worried about. The old TT condo conversions will probably have no problem, but I don't see the addition getting built this cycle, and I'm not sure the existing design will survive any upcoming recession. Its such a big project, Golub/CIM might consider unit/height reduction and a possible redesign if it doesn't get started in this market cycle. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Will make it:

Agree.

Put yourself in the shoes of a lender. Which projects would you choose to finance, and have the least risk of losing your investment. 400 LSD and OCS seem more financially viable (at least from an outsiders perspective). And in the case of Related; huge, successful national company that isn’t going to go belly up.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 5:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ All 4 of the big towers are being developed by big-time name brand players.

Tribune - CIM/Golub
400 LSD - Related
OCS - JDL
WPS - Hines

There are no fly-by-night Garret Kellehers or engineering companies pretending to be developers (Teng) this time around.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:

Tribune - CIM/Golub
400 LSD - Related
OCS - JDL
WPS - Hines

There are no fly-by-night Garret Kellehers or engineering companies pretending to be developers (Teng) this time around.
Yeah, if entitled, all of these will get built in some form eventually. None of those firms are going under any time soon. Also, WPS has Magaellan's involvement too doesn't it? I was gonna say "Hines and Magaellan don't quite have the track record to do ultra luxury condos??? Hooookay...."

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 6:30 PM
The City

Notice that I wrote what will be built this cycle. I do think all of these projects (or something similar in scale) will be built eventually. That has less to do with my confidence in individual developers, and relates more to confidence in downtown Chicago in general which--duh--I wouldn't be here if I didn't have that

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:

Tribune - CIM/Golub
400 LSD - Related
OCS - JDL
WPS - Hines

I guess WPS hasn’t clicked for me because we still don’t have confirmation that it’s a supertall. Moreover, isn’t it mixed use, and not purely residential? I can’t remember.

But just generally speaking; is the threshold of breaking 1000 ft/300 M as important in construction costs as us skyscraper nerds seem to think? Is constructing an 1100 ft tower that much more than one that’s 890 ft? I kind of feel like a lot of us would feel like these projects odds would be better if they were less than that magic number. In actuality, I suspect that may not be the case.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 7:45 PM
Cleared for takeoff

Quote:

Tribune - CIM/Golub
400 LSD - Related
OCS - JDL
WPS - Hines

Are you saying this to suggest that they are more likely to be built?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 7:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwing View Post
Are you saying this to suggest that they are more likely to be built?
yes. generally speaking, i would say that large skyscraper projects backed by national development corporations with billions in assets and decades of institutional experience in getting big projects financed are "more likely to be built" than those backed by overly ambitious greenhorns.

that doesn't mean that any these projects will be built; that's for the market to decide.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:47 AM

Any news on this? I know somebody that said their company bid on the project and he said it will definitely go. Have they secured financing yet?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:29 AM

^Supposedly working on financing... GC should be awarded this month... 2 contractors trying to secure the work, LL and Power I believe.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^Supposedly working on financing... GC should be awarded this month... 2 contractors trying to secure the work, LL and Power I believe.
Thanks! Do we have a realistic timeline? Also is it safe to say as long as there is no drastic change in the market this moves forward as planned?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 6:09 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Thanks! Do we have a realistic timeline? Also is it safe to say as long as there is no drastic change in the market this moves forward as planned?
Nothing is ever a sure thing, but this project does have a lot going for it. Big time developer, support from the alderman, etc. Its more likely than not that it will be built, but the timing is less sure. Depends on if this economy has a few months or a few years left before it blows its stack.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
....2 contractors trying to secure the work, LL and Power I believe.
Only one supertall at a time for McHugh I guess . Hope it goes to LL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive