HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:17 PM

2017 State Population Estimates - Released 12/20/17

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...tes-idaho.html

DEC. 20, 2017 — Idaho was the nation’s fastest-growing state over the last year. Its population increased 2.2 percent to 1.7 million from July 1, 2016, to July 1, 2017, according to the U.S. Census Bureau’s national and state population estimates released today.

Following Idaho for the largest percentage increases in population were: Nevada (2.0 percent), Utah (1.9 percent), Washington (1.7 percent), and Florida along with Arizona (1.6 percent).

“Domestic migration drove change in the two fastest-growing states, Idaho and Nevada, while an excess of births over deaths played a major part in the growth of the third fastest-growing state, Utah,” said Luke Rogers, Chief of the Population Estimates Branch.

All 50 states, PR and DC: https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...st2017-05.xlsx

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:05 PM
BANNED

Top numerical gains:
1) Texas
2) Florida
3) California
4) Washington
5) North Carolina
6) Georgia
7) Arizona
8) Colorado
9) Tennessee
10) South Carolina

Illinois had the largest decline.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:08 PM

You can see the strength of manufacturing in the latest numbers. Ohio and Michigan had impressive growth for Midwest standards.

States with population losses are scattered throughout. Louisiana, Mississippi, West Virginia, Illinois, Wyoming, Hawaii, North Dakota, Alaska, all had population losses.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Top numerical gains:
1) Texas
2) Florida
3) California
4) Washington
5) North Carolina
6) Georgia
7) Arizona
8) Colorado
9) Tennessee
10) South Carolina

Illinois had the largest decline.
Pretty poor showing for Illinois and it's entirely due to huge negative domestic migration without a large enough positive international migration to offset it, like is the case for New York and California. Immigrants just don't come to Chicago anymore.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:11 PM

Change by region:

South +1235k
West: +766k
Midwest: +201k
Northeast: +111k

A little surprised the Midwest grew by more than the Northeast.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:11 PM
BANNED

In the South there's an interesting trend to take note of.

MS, LA are declining. AL has low growth. And then you have GA, NC, SC, FL, TN and TX with high numerical gains.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Change by region:

South +1235k

Michigan and Ohio had impressive growth, and the Census-derived "Northeast" classification cuts off the fastest growing part of the Northeast Corridor (the DC area).

If you compare "Northeast Corridor" to Midwest, the corridor would have faster growth.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Change by region:

South +1235k

Yeah I saw that too. Take a look at the domestic migration figures:

Northeast: -313,643
Midwest: -156,897
South: 356,884
West: 113,656

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:17 PM

West Virginia and Maine have negative replacement rates - deaths greater than births. Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Florida are all positive but not by much.

At the other end of the spectrum, Utah has 3.1 births for each death. Alaska is at 2.5, Texas at 2.1. The Mormons are multiplying, ahhhh.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
West Virginia and Maine have negative replacement rates - deaths greater than births. Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Florida are all positive but not by much.

At the other end of the spectrum, Utah has 3.1 births for each death. Alaska is at 2.5, Texas at 2.1. The Mormons are multiplying, ahhhh.
Interesting about Alaska considering they still managed to have a decline in population.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:20 PM
Dryer lint inspector

FL and NC should actually counted under NY since they are mostly made up of NY'ers at this point.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:22 PM

This is before the hurricane and Peurto Rico is still in free fall, the current numbers must be brutal.

Also, why is Hawaii losing?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
FL and NC should actually counted under NY since they are mostly made up of NY'ers at this point.
Same with certain parts of NC and SC. Charleston and Raleigh-Durham probably have more Long Islanders and New Jerseyans at this point than Southerners, and I'm pretty sure Charlotte is loaded with Upstate NY and PA folks.

Spent two work weeks in suburban Raleigh this fall, and I swear it's like Long Island relocated to this town called Cary. It's dirt-cheap for NE corridor standards, rather pretty, and tons of high paying tech jobs in companies like SAS. But you have to like brand-new sprawl; there's nothing remotely urban or old.

Not sure if I heard a Southern accent on a white person in two weeks, but I heard NY, Philly and Boston accents. I barely hear NY accents anymore in NY. Probably have to head to FL or NC in the future if you want to hear old-school Brooklynese.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Also, why is Hawaii losing?
Just guessing, but maybe because it's painfully expensive, weak job market and reliant on immigration (which is down significantly nationwide; thanks nativists!).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
it depends on which coast.

atlantic coast florida if filled with northeasterners, but gulf coast florida is loaded with folks from ohio, michigan, illinois, etc.

every former chicagolander that i've known who has moved to florida (relatives and friend's retiring parents) has moved to gulf coast florida 9 times out of 10.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 20, 2017 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

just about every former chicagolander that i've known who has moved to florida (relatives and friend's retiring parents) has moved to gulf coast florida 9 times out of 10.
I think Tampa area has lots of Northeasterners, but, yeah, the general rule is Atlantic coast = Northeast Corridor and Gulf Coast = Midwest.

Naples is almost entirely Illinois/Michigan/Ohio folks. Most of my parents friends have a place in Naples, and some have relocated year-round. Older people in affluent Midwest suburbia LOVE Naples.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ A lot of "us" on the Gulf side too. I have a niece and cousin in around the Tampa/St. Pete area. Step-mothers parents lived Ocala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Same with certain parts of NC and SC. Charleston and Raleigh-Durham probably have more Long Islanders and New Jerseyans at this point than Southerners, and I'm pretty sure Charlotte is loaded with Upstate NY and PA folks.

Spent two work weeks in suburban Raleigh this fall, and I swear it's like Long Island relocated to this town called Cary. It's dirt-cheap for NE corridor standards, rather pretty, and tons of high paying tech jobs in companies like SAS. But you have to like brand-new sprawl; there's nothing remotely urban or old.

Not sure if I heard a Southern accent on a white person in two weeks, but I heard NY, Philly and Boston accents. I barely hear NY accents anymore in NY. Probably have to head to FL or NC in the future if you want to hear old-school Brooklynese.
Last time I was in NC (couple of years ago) orange NY plates outnumbered NC plates. It was nuts. I bet there are more Bills/ Giants fans there than Panthers.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:34 PM

Of note, this estimate puts Arizona over 7,000,000 for the first time.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
^ A lot of "us" on the Gulf side too. I have a niece and cousin in around the Tampa/St. Pete area. Step-mothers parents lived Ocala.
And Orlando is also huge NE corridor, though tends to be Hispanic Northeasterners (especially PR), as opposed to the stereotypical Jewish-Italian Long Island crowd in Boca or wherever.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:40 PM
BANNED

North Carolina also has strong international migration representing 23% of their domestic/international total.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States