HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 10:34 PM
America's Mars Rocket

new VA Clinic west of downtown across from Butler High School

Jeffrey Hester, spokesman for the VA Medical Center in Birmingham, said contractors recently began grading the clinic site on Markaview Road between Clearview Cancer Institute and Butler High School.

Hester said VA officials are planning an April 17 groundbreaking ceremony for the 47,800-square-foot facility, which is expected to open in the summer or fall of 2015. It will replace two smaller community-based outpatient clinics on Governors Drive in Huntsville and Madison Boulevard in Madison.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
IMHO, Bridge Street will be closed within a few years. They had their chance to make it a tourist destination and they blew it. They already have a luxury hotel to anchor it, along with a world class movie theater, and an entertainment complex for families and young adults. Adding a signature observation wheel next to the lake that they drained would have drawn in way more out of state visitors leading to more shoppers than what they ever will now resulting in an economic boost for the area. Nobody goes there anymore now that they've drained the beautiful lake. People like myself used to go there just to enjoy the rare scenery and elegance of the place. Now it's virtually a ghost town. Shops are moving out as fast as they go in. Belk will do the same.
I strongly disagree that Bridge Street is dying and here are my reasons:
1. Numerous retailers have been in business there since Bridge Street opened in 2007 - these include Banana Republic, Coldwater Creek, Chico's, White House/Black Market, J. Crew and Juicy Couture. I have a hard time believing that these stores would continue to pay rent if they were loosing money.
2. The present owners, Miller Capital Advisors are one of the nations largest owners of shopping centers and they own the strongest retail centers in every market they have a presence in. They plan on doing the same here. Miller wouldn't have purchased a dying center.
3. The Gap and Banana Republic left Parkway Place for BS - if their sales were so bad, they could move back to Parkway Place.
4. Bridge Street is not in existence to be a state "tourist destination" nor is it here to be a public park for Huntsville residents. If you visited " just to enjoy the rare scenery and elegance of the place", they will go out of business. They need folks spending $.
5. Bridge Street is strategically located in the geographical center of the Huntsville metro area - even Decatur residents can get there in probably the same or less time than Huntsville residents in Hampton Cove and far Southeast. This gives it a distinct advantage in attracting both customers and new retailers. This is evident when you see that Michael Kors has selected it over Parkway Place. Between Cummings Research Park and Redstone Arsenal, there is a workforce of around 60,000 within a 10 minute drive of the center and those numbers are attractive to retailers.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 6:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I agree with David... I grew up in Decatur, and Bridge Street was a destination during my late high school/undergrad. It's located within the most economically vibrant "neighborhood" of the entire state, it isn't going away anytime soon.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 12:59 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Mei Wei second location to be in Twickenham Square downtown.

Mei Wei (pronounced May Way), which took its name from the Chinese words for "beautiful" and "taste," was founded by owners Tom and Ann Wang in 2009. The Wangs operate another restaurant on 6290 University Drive across from the Target shopping center.

Mei Wei's menu includes beef, tofu, curry, pad Thai, fried rice and more. The 2,500-square-foot restaurant, which will also sell beer and wine, will be located across from the new Publix and offer outside dining, delivery and catering

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post

Mei Wei (pronounced May Way), which took its name from the Chinese words for "beautiful" and "taste," was founded by owners Tom and Ann Wang in 2009. The Wangs operate another restaurant on 6290 University Drive across from the Target shopping center.

Mei Wei's menu includes beef, tofu, curry, pad Thai, fried rice and more. The 2,500-square-foot restaurant, which will also sell beer and wine, will be located across from the new Publix and offer outside dining, delivery and catering
That's interesting and good for them. It's good to see locals able to expand, rather than the same ole chains.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I agree with David... I grew up in Decatur, and Bridge Street was a destination during my late high school/undergrad. It's located within the most economically vibrant "neighborhood" of the entire state, it isn't going away anytime soon.
Every time I have been out there it has been empty. More employees parked cars than shoppers. Even had a worker there to agree with me about the draining of the lake and called the owner money hungry.

Just mark my word, it'll be closed within 5 years time from bankruptcy.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Every time I have been out there it has been empty. More employees parked cars than shoppers. Even had a worker there to agree with me about the draining of the lake and called the owner money hungry.

It is not my style of place. I just have trouble seeing an outdoor shopping center with awkward parking doing well in hot, cold, rainy etc days.

With that being said, I do not see it going bankrupt in the near term. In time it will fade as some other place takes business away from it... Like Heart of Huntsville and Dunnavants Malls started the trend from Downtown. Then the Mall took from those two. Then Madison Sq took from The Mall. So the cycle goes.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 6:52 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:

That location is too perfect to allow any development to go under. You can't expect an employee to give an opinion that is unbiased. Of course the developer is money-hungry! If it wasn't it would have already sold the place. The only reason it hasn't is because the location still holds tremendous value.

As soon as you crest the hill, after the Madison Blvd interchange right before the Research Park interchange, you immediately see the Westin to the North. The center is easily visible and the entire Tennessee Valley knows it is there. They have effed up in filling in that lake, but there just isn't any way it will die anytime soon...

Bridgestreet exists in arguably the most prominent location in North Alabama other than the I-65/I-565/ALT 72 interchange.

It also has a bit of public transit already built in, unlike Madison Square.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 6:55 PM

Quote:

I really like Mei Wei on University. I am going to get delivery from there all the time now at Twickenham Square. Now I have Steak Out and Mei Wei to pick from. Great location for delivery restaurants. There market is great Downtown Huntsville, Historic District and Medical District. This restaurant should do very well at Twickenham Square location. Mei Wei has a 5 mile delivery radius (so it should do very well).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
I strongly disagree that Bridge Street is dying and here are my reasons:
1. Numerous retailers have been in business there since Bridge Street opened in 2007 - these include Banana Republic, Coldwater Creek, Chico's, White House/Black Market, J. Crew and Juicy Couture. I have a hard time believing that these stores would continue to pay rent if they were loosing money.
2. The present owners, Miller Capital Advisors are one of the nations largest owners of shopping centers and they own the strongest retail centers in every market they have a presence in. They plan on doing the same here. Miller wouldn't have purchased a dying center.
3. The Gap and Banana Republic left Parkway Place for BS - if their sales were so bad, they could move back to Parkway Place.
4. Bridge Street is not in existence to be a state "tourist destination" nor is it here to be a public park for Huntsville residents. If you visited " just to enjoy the rare scenery and elegance of the place", they will go out of business. They need folks spending $.
5. Bridge Street is strategically located in the geographical center of the Huntsville metro area - even Decatur residents can get there in probably the same or less time than Huntsville residents in Hampton Cove and far Southeast. This gives it a distinct advantage in attracting both customers and new retailers. This is evident when you see that Michael Kors has selected it over Parkway Place. Between Cummings Research Park and Redstone Arsenal, there is a workforce of around 60,000 within a 10 minute drive of the center and those numbers are attractive to retailers.
"The future of malls is about experience, creating a destination," says Maureen Bausch, executive vice president of business development for Mall of America. "It's about giving the customer an experience they'll leave their laptop for."

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...ion/?iid=HP_LN

The article does reference that high end malls are doing better than the rest of retail, so Bridge street may be OK. There will be more competition when the new mall in Jones Valley opens and the new development at the old Airport, both of which are geared to the higher end retailing segment.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:27 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Downtown Homewood Suites at Twickenham Square is now open.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 2:42 PM

Looks like the Texas de Brazil is opening in BHam today. That means we will get ours in about 10 years so start the clock...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:15 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Looks like the Texas de Brazil is opening in BHam today. That means we will get ours in about 10 years so start the clock...
outstanding restaurant..very very doubtful they would ever locate here.
Hopefully Birmingham will support it. It is a high dollar establishment but the food is spectacular and worth it.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 4:54 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
outstanding restaurant..very very doubtful they would ever locate here.
Hopefully Birmingham will support it. It is a high dollar establishment but the food is spectacular and worth it.
but they will locate in Huntsville..this is a huge addition (great)! to Huntsville's restaurant scene.

Less than a week after launching its first Birmingham location, Dallas-based Texas de Brazil says it plans to open a second Alabama restaurant at Bridge Street Town Centre in Huntsville.

Bridge Street marketing manager Van Geroux said the Brazilian steakhouse chain will occupy the former Tavern at Bridge Street, which has been vacant since the Tavern's abrupt closure in September. The high-traffic space near Monaco Pictures was also home to SmokeHouse until it shut down in 2011.

Heather Lovett, a spokeswoman for Texas de Brazil, said the new 8,100-square-foot location in Huntsville will be similar to the location in Birmingham and will hold approximately 250 customers. Lovett said there is no timetable yet on when the restaurant will open.

The 7,200-square-foot Birmingham location, which accommodates 230 guests, has an open-view grill, bar and lounge area and wine cellar. A selection of 16 different grilled meats cooked over an open flame of charcoal rather than gas are available for order

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 5:04 PM

Haha, you beat me to the post! Totally fired up for this. I think it will be really popular here. A meat lovers heaven!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Haha, you beat me to the post! Totally fired up for this. I think it will be really popular here. A meat lovers heaven!
the city is in for a real treat and the Westin will also be a big winner in having it next door.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 7:38 PM

Looks like the Bass Pro/Sweetwater talk is heating up again...

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2014/03/..._by_decat.html

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 7:54 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Looks like the Bass Pro/Sweetwater talk is heating up again...

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2014/03/..._by_decat.html
Again, this project is not in Huntsville... This has been in the Decatur thread for about a week now.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Again, this project is not in Huntsville... This has been in the Decatur thread for about a week now.
This post was for the Huntsville people who might be interested.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 10:07 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
This post was for the Huntsville people who might be interested.
.... Should we start posting things about Birmingham here for Huntsville people who might be interested?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast