HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 3:08 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
And if it isn't, it is at worst tied with the commie block boom of the 70's.
Sadly it's less aesthetically pleasing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 8:04 PM

Courtesy of CtlAltDel showing Calgary's new 1st, 3rd and 11th tallest:

Hard to believe that the proposed 571 ft Brookfield Place West won't even make the top 10. City Centre I (558 ft) is u/c and 3 Eau Claire is due to break ground this fall. Calgary will likely have 19 buildings over 500 ft within 3 years, 22 if Brookfield West, King's on Fifth and City Centre II go ahead.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 10:26 PM
Round Head

Time for Calgary to start breaching that 900ft and 1000ft barrier. Quite a few buildings in the range from 690ft and 810ft. But pretty great that 4 of our top 5 tallest will all have been completed between 2012 and 2017.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 10:47 PM

^ In time I think Calgary will build a 900ft building. So far they are doing incredible! And considering Toronto hasn't even broke the 1000ft barrier (not including CN Tower and antennas), it might even be longer before either Calgary or Toronto actually gets a 1000ft+ tower. I am all for it, Canada needs its first super tall. And that render looks sweet!! I would like to see a complete render of Calgary showing the new Brookfield Place towers, as well as Telus Tower and Kings On Fifth. To give a complete idea of what Calgary will look like come 2018.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:04 AM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Time for Calgary to start breaching that 900ft and 1000ft barrier. Quite a few buildings in the range from 690ft and 810ft. But pretty great that 4 of our top 5 tallest will all have been completed between 2012 and 2017.
Not that Calgary isn't deserving of a building over 1000ft, but we here in Toronto have been waiting a heck of a long time for one with 13 built & u/c buildings above 690ft and 18 over 200m without a single supertall.
In the entire world, only Singapore(23 & 29) and Tokyo(14 & 23) have more 690ft & 200m tall buildings without having a supertall.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:14 AM
I am the law!

Well, maybe a supertall is not in the cards for Toronto. For sure the economics are better in Calgary (energy vs financial services) and possibly the zoning too.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:41 AM

Wooster: I never thought you were one for the 900-1000 footers! Good to have you on board.... LOL Just my thoughts while we're on the subject, it really wouldn't take much for Brookfield to add some height to 225 6th, at least get close to 900'.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 12:56 PM

If Toronto is going to get a 1000ft+ building it will not be from a commercial tower... it will be either a mixed use commercial/residential, or fully residential. And I bet we will see the first one approved in the next 5 years.

Calgary on the other hand would probably get one that is solely commercial. It would be great if someone did, and to be honest it would either be TO or Calg. I can't see it happening anywhere else in Canada.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 1:56 PM
gettin' rich!

Oxford Place is the only legitimate chance, and our only chance at a supertall. The good news is that there are two towers, the bad news is it will take a very long time to move through the approval, demolition and construction process. And there is always a chance of a let down at the very end, a la Trump with respect to a downgrade bump to below supertall status, just before construction.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 2:00 PM
ARTchitecture

I'm sure we can all agree on the sentiment that it is a VERY good thing that Trump did not become Canada's first supertall.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Oxford Place is the only legitimate chance, and our only chance at a supertall. The good news is that there are two towers, the bad news is it will take a very long time to move through the approval, demolition and construction process. And there is always a chance of a let down at the very end, a la Trump with respect to a downgrade bump to below supertall status, just before construction.
I don't think Oxford Place is our only chance at all. Other plans can happen so fast. For all you know, we could have a new proposal this fall and it could be under construction within two years. You never know how things pan out. Even a small change with the 1 Yonge proposal, 2 Bloor, Mirvish buildings, and BOOM there's a supertall. One thing I'm certain of, it will probably happen when we least expect it and come from somewhere nobody would ever guess.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I don't think Oxford Place is our only chance at all. Other plans can happen so fast. For all you know, we could have a new proposal this fall and it could be under construction within two years. You never know how things pan out. Even a small change with the 1 Yonge proposal, 2 Bloor, Mirvish buildings, and BOOM there's a supertall. One thing I'm certain of, it will probably happen when we least expect it and come from somewhere nobody would ever guess.
I agree. Toronto will see more proposals. A supertall will come, eventually. But to be honest, I would be fine if the city never saw a supertall if it meant that the city's current pace of skyscraper construction was sustainable.

Aside from what we're seeing in the sky...at the street level, the city is lagging behind on streetscape improvements and the creation of green space adequate to service this ever-more plentiful population.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:09 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Exactly, let's not forget that all the projects above were proposed within the last 1 year Toronto will probably have a couple supertalls either under construction or completed within 10 years, whether its Oxford Place or something else.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:16 PM
I am the law!

True, who know what the future holds but we can make calculated guess. Any supertall would likely be outside of the traditional core. Most of the sites that would allow a supertall in the CBD are heavily built out. I think we should expect One Yonge's proposal to be drastically reduced in density (which likely will equate to height) when the re-zoning is all said and done. It's an absolutely incredible amount what Pinnacle has proposed. The Mirvish towers have such little chance of being built that I'm not sure why they are even discussed as more than someone's vision. On top of that, the towers are grossly oversized and lack sufficient parking to gain approval as they currently stand.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:20 PM
gettin' rich!

I think the city is needy in terms of cash for transit, and this density although great actually reduces the need for additional expensive suburban transit maintenance and expansion. I see One Yonge going ahead with only slight modifications and major condo cash from Pinnacle to the city to offset the greater density proposed.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:24 PM

I think the absolute perfect site for a supertall would be the site of the World's Biggest Bookstore and the adjacent properties fronting on to Yonge just north of Dundas. It's on the subway, near Yonge-Dundas Square, not in the way of any important sightlines, and there's nothing nearby to shadow. From a skyline perspective, it wouldn't compete with the CN Tower, and probably wouldn't even be visible from the lake. I'm hoping for something massive there.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:40 PM
I am the law!

Nevermind transit. The utilities operating in Toronto are currently in need of a billion dollar just to prevent the systems from breaking down. A project of Pinnacle size duplicated several times over would only exacerbate that need. I hope the city looks above of simply landing a wad of cash. The density proposed is ridiculous and goes against the countless dollars and hours spent to design a livable city. The suggestion that a reduction in density to something more reasonable equates to increased suburban transit funding is mind boggling to say the least.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:18 PM

Going to be a long time, if ever, Calgary would ever get a 1000 footer built. Toronto will be the first.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:29 PM

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:45 PM

hey hey hey! I think they have the copper roof scheduled to be replaced in 2112, so you better make sure it is brown!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada