HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

    

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram
New York Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #19001  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 7:50 PM
10301 10301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 6
I was looking at my photos and i started to notice something...
Cranes have been jacked recently within last 3 days




http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctownsnyc/
     
     
  #19002  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 8:07 PM
CarlosV's Avatar
CarlosV CarlosV is offline
Bionic Boogie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 3,821
^^^

Yes I reported that on Thursday this is most exciting!


DSC_4986 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

.



DSC_4990 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

.

DSC_4995 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
__________________
I Love NY
September 11, 2001 Never Forget
Save water, shower with a friend!
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Last edited by CarlosV; Jan 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM.
     
     
  #19003  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 9:41 PM
QUEENSNYMAN QUEENSNYMAN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,005
     
     
  #19004  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 10:45 PM
NewYorkSkyline117 NewYorkSkyline117 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 514
All these updates are great!! Although I still don't understand what is taking so long to put up new steel.....does anyone know when steel will begin to rise?
     
     
  #19005  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:08 PM
tiarae tiarae is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 40
Not sure...it was too windy for the cranes and all the ironworkers on top were temporarily moved to the transit hub & tower 4 last week. There's still financial issues but they were told it was for 2wks so hopefully, they'll be back on the top this week.
     
     
  #19006  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:26 PM
NewYorkSkyline117 NewYorkSkyline117 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiarae View Post
Not sure...it was too windy for the cranes and all the ironworkers on top were temporarily moved to the transit hub & tower 4 last week. There's still financial issues but they were told it was for 2wks so hopefully, they'll be back on the top this week.
okay thanks
     
     
  #19007  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:28 PM
Davidsam52 Davidsam52 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 343
It's definitely time for an erection of new steel!!!
     
     
  #19008  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:28 PM
CarlosV's Avatar
CarlosV CarlosV is offline
Bionic Boogie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 3,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
All these updates are great!! Although I still don't understand what is taking so long to put up new steel.....does anyone know when steel will begin to rise?
easy answer...the concrete core has to "catch up" otherwise if they keep erecting steel the upper structure will become too unstable....the core was like 10 stories behind......
__________________
I Love NY
September 11, 2001 Never Forget
Save water, shower with a friend!
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks
     
     
  #19009  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:42 PM
QUEENSNYMAN QUEENSNYMAN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,005
     
     
  #19010  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:48 PM
CarlosV's Avatar
CarlosV CarlosV is offline
Bionic Boogie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 3,821
The starry night....


DSC_4998 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
__________________
I Love NY
September 11, 2001 Never Forget
Save water, shower with a friend!
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks
     
     
  #19011  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:50 PM
NewYorkSkyline117 NewYorkSkyline117 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
easy answer...the concrete core has to "catch up" otherwise if they keep erecting steel the upper structure will become too unstable....the core was like 10 stories behind......
But isn't the concrete around the 85th floor? And will the intervals of new steel always be over month? Probly not right
     
     
  #19012  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:55 PM
CarlosV's Avatar
CarlosV CarlosV is offline
Bionic Boogie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 3,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
But isn't the concrete around the 85th floor? And will the intervals of new steel always be over month? Probly not right
it was, catching up now, the cranes have been lifted so perhaps next week, the scheduled "topping" will be in April so if they have 14 stories to go, we should see and average of 4 stories a month.... + -

.


DSC_4994 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
__________________
I Love NY
September 11, 2001 Never Forget
Save water, shower with a friend!
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks
     
     
  #19013  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 12:21 AM
NewYorkSkyline117 NewYorkSkyline117 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
it was, catching up now, the cranes have been lifted so perhaps next week, the scheduled "topping" will be in April so if they have 14 stories to go, we should see and average of 4 stories a month.... + -

.


DSC_4994 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
Alright gotchya. So does that mean that they have to pick up the pace?
     
     
  #19014  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 12:55 AM
jd3189's Avatar
jd3189 jd3189 is offline
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Taken by me January 3:
Awesome,but a few supertalls should make it even better. Imagine a Manhattan similar to the one in the 30s and 40s.
__________________
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.
-Aldous Huxley

Continue improving until the end.
     
     
  #19015  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 3:39 AM
reencharles's Avatar
reencharles reencharles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 274
     
     
  #19016  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 4:50 AM
Eidolon's Avatar
Eidolon Eidolon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Awesome,but a few supertalls should make it even better. Imagine a Manhattan similar to the one in the 30s and 40s.
Considering there are 12 supertalls right now that are either UC (1WTC, 2WTC, 3WTC, One57), undergoing site prep (432 Park), approved (Manhattan West, 15 Penn, both Hudson Yards towers, Tower Verre, Girasole) and proposed (225 W57th) this is looking like a pretty good start for the decade. If the demand for supertalls continues at the current rate, we could be looking at 50+ supertalls in NYC in 30 more years, not to mention near supertalls like 4 WTC, 99 Church or the other Manhattan West tower.

This will be an amazing decade.

Last edited by Eidolon; Jan 8, 2012 at 4:50 AM. Reason: spelling
     
     
  #19017  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 5:59 AM
NYCLuver's Avatar
NYCLuver NYCLuver is offline
Astorian
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
I see you have been to the Top of the Rock NYCLuver! Hope you had a good time, hopefully not too cold up there. Gotta lova the close ups, 1WTC's cranes looks like a spire already lol.
@Matt: Great pic man, show how massive NY really is.
Haha yes, I did and I did enjoy it! It was a bit windy but nice weather so a good time to visit for sure!
__________________
New York City = My Home! :)
     
     
  #19018  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 6:05 AM
06hdfxdwg 06hdfxdwg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 53
One of the reasons the steel has slowed somewhat is because the floors they are doing now are mechanical floors i believe. Although i haven't seen an equipment location drawing,i,m sure there is some very large and heavy equipment that needs to be set. That cannot be done until the floors and housekeeping pads have been poured. Once that is done then material,tools and auxiliary equipment must be bought up. Keep in mind that if chillers,fans,switch panels among other things need to be brought up,it's much easier and safer to bring all that stuff up when you have open air above you so it can be set right in place,as opposed to having to drift stuff in through the side of the building,which can be tricky and,more importantly unsafe. Ever had to set rigging and drift a chiller in through the side of a building?? It's tricky to say the least. Be patient. The steel will go up as soon as it's time.
     
     
  #19019  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 6:49 AM
CClaudio21's Avatar
CClaudio21 CClaudio21 is offline
WTCEnthusiast/User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monument, Colorado
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06hdfxdwg View Post
One of the reasons the steel has slowed somewhat is because the floors they are doing now are mechanical floors i believe. Although i haven't seen an equipment location drawing,i,m sure there is some very large and heavy equipment that needs to be set. That cannot be done until the floors and housekeeping pads have been poured. Once that is done then material,tools and auxiliary equipment must be bought up. Keep in mind that if chillers,fans,switch panels among other things need to be brought up,it's much easier and safer to bring all that stuff up when you have open air above you so it can be set right in place,as opposed to having to drift stuff in through the side of the building,which can be tricky and,more importantly unsafe. Ever had to set rigging and drift a chiller in through the side of a building?? It's tricky to say the least. Be patient. The steel will go up as soon as it's time.
Please explain to me exactly what drifting is. I can only think of it as a technique in digging tunnels.
     
     
  #19020  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 1:17 PM
CarlosV's Avatar
CarlosV CarlosV is offline
Bionic Boogie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 3,821

DSC_5006 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
__________________
I Love NY
September 11, 2001 Never Forget
Save water, shower with a friend!
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.