Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
I'm missing something, how is it of fence ive?
sigh...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 12:13 PM

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Lookin' good Philly.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 1:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm a Temple student (if you can't tell by the neighborhood lol) who does the same thing and feels the exact same way. I now live on 19th and Berks, and I don't even like walking along 19th Street due to not feeling like I'm in the city. This kind of land use is indicative of how those in power felt about Philly in the 90s and early 2000s. They thought that land in certain areas of North and West Philly (take, for instance, the land surrounding the 46th and 40th Street stops) never be developed with the prevailing market forces of the time. That short-sightedness is why Poplar will remain underdeveloped for a while, and why we need to scrutinize every detail of a new PHA plan (if that development is indeed PHA housing). Fortunately, the Sharswood development embraces principles of Mew Urbanism.

Here is one thing I will never get about those decisions, however: why build suburban-style housing when there is a waiting list of people who need PHA housing? Also, why build these when rehabbing the sturdier brick rowhomes would have costed WAY less per square foot?
there are a host of reasons. You are drastically oversimplifying several aspects of what happened. Also, the waiting list you speak of is for rental housing and/or vouchers- not the same as much of the for sale housing that was built in North Philly (and elsewhere) during 90s and 2000s. Rehabbing old homes is slow and expensive. any contractor will tell you it's faster and more efficient to build new than it is to retrofit- especially when you are trying to retrofit modern features into old structure. Saying it's "cheaper" as blanket statement is not accurate.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
there are a host of reasons. You are drastically oversimplifying several aspects of what happened. Also, the waiting list you speak of is for rental housing and/or vouchers- not the same as much of the for sale housing that was built in North Philly (and elsewhere) during 90s and 2000s. Rehabbing old homes is slow and expensive. any contractor will tell you it's faster and more efficient to build new than it is to retrofit- especially when you are trying to retrofit modern features into old structure. Saying it's "cheaper" as blanket statement is not accurate.
Yes, you can't make a blanket statement like that. But in all likelihood, in this circumstance, the City could have rehabbed existing housing stock in the area for less money than the PHA Sharswood plan will cost. It's also not a binary choice. In building new, they didn't need to build the WAY that they are.

I don't know whether the shots in the Comcast picture are also public or Section 8 housing, though. Since this thread IS about Comcast, I will say it's looking great! Nice, continued progress on the cooling towers and really starting to shine in the sky. You can really start to see what it will look like too with the recent renders in this thread.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
No, there is no justification for it whatsoever.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 3:49 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Just when I'm about to comment, I totally get distracted by TallCoolOne's awesome pics!! Thanks!

Having said that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
the same way a chef might poorly execute a recipe, serve raw food, and poison someone eating the food....bad urban design recipe, bad execution. and it looks terrible and clearly isn't aging well
Great analogy.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Hey Darrell

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
No, there is no justification for it whatsoever.
venture outside of North, South and CC Philly and you will discover tens of thousands of homes with modest amounts of green space out front and off street parking. You will aslo find that Philly has a lot of semi detached and a modest, but considerable number of detached houses. I do not know what city or world people are living in when they suggest anything other than a typical north philly rowhouse with a stoop isn't "urban" and thus shouldn't exist in the city. And it's also mind boggling that people think PHA invented such housing in Philadelphia.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 7:02 PM

Sorry. I thought this was the CTC thread.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
venture outside of North, South and CC Philly and you will discover tens of thousands of homes with modest amounts of green space out front and off street parking. You will aslo find that Philly has a lot of semi detached and a modest, but considerable number of detached houses. I do not know what city or world people are living in when they suggest anything other than a typical north philly rowhouse with a stoop isn't "urban" and thus shouldn't exist in the city. And it's also mind boggling that people think PHA invented such housing in Philadelphia.
We are a unique city in the amount of rowhomes we have as well as the lack of detached housing. We're also unique in the lack of large apartment housing we have as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.05f5d3c89008

But yeah, this discussion should be in the low rise forum, not here.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
We are a unique city in the amount of rowhomes we have as well as the lack of detached housing. We're also unique in the lack of large apartment housing we have as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.05f5d3c89008

But yeah, this discussion should be in the low rise forum, not here.
last point- that chart doesn't separate rows and twins so some % of that attached housing chunk is constituted of semi-detached homes. There are many in Roxborough, NE Philly and MT Airy. Somehow Philadelphia didn't implode when they were built nor did folks suddenly think they were in chester county.

Certainly didn't stop CTC from being built- there's building reference before anyone else starts bitching.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
last point- that chart doesn't separate rows and twins so some % of that attached housing chunk is constituted of semi-detached homes. There are many in Roxborough, NE Philly and MT Airy. Somehow Philadelphia didn't implode when they were built nor did folks suddenly think they were in chester county.

Certainly didn't stop CTC from being built- there's building reference before anyone else starts bitching.
You are something else smh.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 8:54 PM

Man, I so enjoy the ignore list. Thanks again for the tip. I still get to see the snoozer comments when they're quoted, however.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Man, I so enjoy the ignore list. Thanks again for the tip. I still get to see the snoozer comments when they're quoted, however.
Can you post how to do this again? Or just PM it to me. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 12:05 PM

[IMG]IMG_8744
by christinecardelliphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8918

[IMG]reflectionsbhr

[IMG]IMG_8584

[IMG]IMG_8855

Bravo christinecardelliphotography on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55209423@N08/

-------------------

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 12:10 PM

This building seems to be taking quite a long time, no?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 12:15 PM

^It's right on schedule... patience my friend.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Can you post how to do this again? Or just PM it to me. Thanks!
There's a "User CP" link on your menu bar above. Click on that and look for "Edit Ignore List" in the left hand column.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 1:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
There's a "User CP" link on your menu bar above. Click on that and look for "Edit Ignore List" in the left hand column.
You guys are so fragile. Unbelievable. What you consider hardship is laughable at times. Why do you even venture online if you expect everyone to think exactly as you do on every possible issue? I guess this is part of the safe space movement.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 2:49 PM

Nice shots, TallCoolOne! That shot with the Comcasts and the Art Museum is stunning!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture