HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 7:42 PM

Who is the developer in charge of the airport hotel?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Who is the developer in charge of the airport hotel?
Los Angeles-based Sonnenblick Development LLC.

It has been searching for financing for about 5 years already. It received a 5-year extension in December, but I think it's obvious to the developer that financing just isn't available. There are 5 other hotel proposals within a mile of the airport.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Los Angeles-based Sonnenblick Development LLC.

It has been searching for financing for about 5 years already. It received a 5-year extension in December, but I think it's obvious to the developer that financing just isn't available. There are 5 other hotel proposals within a mile of the airport.
I'm just not buying it. The company specializes in government buildings and high few high-end resorts. That's a weird combo right there. I strongly suspect something other than not getting financing is going on here but you can bet it has to do with money.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 6:10 PM

The article I'm referencing did make a point to say that there's no word yet whether the developer will seek a subsidy...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 12:35 AM

Will they bring more nonstop from SMF-FLL/HOU/MCO/TPA or SMF-CLT, as well. Will they ever consider it?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 5:47 AM

Southwest announces new Long Beach and Spokane service

More air service news out of Sac International:
Starting August 1st, Southwest will be offering two daily nonstop flights between Sacramento and Long Beach, and one daily nonstop between Sacramento and Spokane. In addition to that, Southwest will also add nonstop service to existing San Diego and Seattle service, respectively. With the added nonstop service, Sacramento will become Southwest Airlines 16th busiest city. I remember when Horizon offered nonstop service to Spokane up until a few years ago. Any reason why they suspended it? Were the load factors just not there, or did the recession have something to do with it? In any case, it's always great to see added service out of SMF!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:51 PM
silly slackergeek

Another big day for Southwest Airlines and SMF... Didn't see anything on this, so here you go. Today Southwest announced that starting next spring, new service from Sacramento including daily non-stops to Austin, St. Louis, Orlando, plus a non-stop to Cabo, and Sunday-only service to... New Orleans. The west side of Terminal B is going to be HOPPING in 2018!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:58 PM

^^^ Great news. I fly regularly to Austin and Orlando. This will be a huge benefit. I've been waiting for that SMF-MCO direct for a while now.

As a side note- I've had multiple people over the last year or two from out of town who fly here tell me what an awesome airport SMF has become.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 9:28 PM

Now a nonstop to Albuquerque. Airport seems busier. Flightradar24 is a good AP.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
Another big day for Southwest Airlines and SMF... Didn't see anything on this, so here you go. Today Southwest announced that starting next spring, new service from Sacramento including daily non-stops to Austin, St. Louis, Orlando, plus a non-stop to Cabo, and Sunday-only service to... New Orleans. The west side of Terminal B is going to be HOPPING in 2018!
We're not even into 2018 yet, and already it's looking to be a good year for air service for SMF! Let's keep that momentum going!!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:28 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Another way to show how it is grown, I remember the United flights between SMF -> SFO were turboprop about 4 years ago, now they use one 737-800 and the rest are CRJ-200s

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:10 AM

From a domestic standpoint, SMF has grown a lot. I wish international carriers would serve the airport beyond just Mexico. And I'm not talking flights to Europe or Asia. At one time Air Canada flew out to Vancouver briefly before the recession hit. Is a Vancouver route not profitable despite the growth and more people traveling. Could another airline like Alaska consider picking that route?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
From a domestic standpoint, SMF has grown a lot. I wish international carriers would serve the airport beyond just Mexico. And I'm not talking flights to Europe or Asia. At one time Air Canada flew out to Vancouver briefly before the recession hit. Is a Vancouver route not profitable despite the growth and more people traveling. Could another airline like Alaska consider picking that route?
I think the region could support flights to Asia.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 8:10 PM

Looks like Terminal A is getting a remodal and expansion in the near future.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 3:41 AM

Bubb90 I am glad that SMF is deciding to finally renovate the security area in Terminal A! Terminal A had some problems with its security line the past few years but now with the steadily increasing passenger numbers (according to the SCAS reports it’s supposed to break the 2007 record of 10.7 million) the security lines are much more noticeable.

I do hope the work at SMF, the increase in passenger numbers, and the lowered cost per emplanement (less than 14 dollars per passenger) will help convince airliners, specifically Southwest to continue to add flights to SMF, especially with the city now growing with the upcoming MLS stadium and railyards project.

This is the wishlist I personally have for Sacramento

1. Southwest: Perhaps add flights to Hawaii due to Southwest’s upcoming introduction to Hawaii, Mexico such as Cancun or Mexico City (adds competition with Aeromexico and Volaris) or even RDU as an alternative to SJC and the growing tech emergence of Sacramento

2. American: I loved that American used to operate seasonally to Philly via US Airways and I think it was a popular destination even though there are no statistics to back it up, it’s a big tourist destination and was another flight to the East Coast. I also wondered if American could fly to Miami one day for leisure, and I hope that the success of Southwest’s flights to Orlando can convince airliners like American to invest in SMF to get flights to Florida!

3. Air Canada: Ok this one totally bugs me because the numbers and cost is there but we still cannot get Air Canada to come back to Sacramento. Sacramento I think needs a flight to Canada, not only as an additional international flight, but also because it will help government officials to travel to Canada for business. SJC and SFO and, SNA and even Palm Springs have flights to Canada, so it still amazes me why there are no flights to Canada.

4. Delta: Ok I don’t have much to say for Delta other than flights to DTW or Cincinnati. I remember Delta offered flights to DTW in 2010 by stopped it for some reason, but I think the statistics can hopefully woo Delta to bring that flight back. Also, I would love to see flights to Cincinnati especially considering that Sacramento and Cincinnati, presuming Cincinanati gets a MLS spot, will be new MLS teams and will ease the stress of MLS fans stopping over at SLC or something and moving flights to get to Cincinnati.

5. United: Nothig much to say here considering that they just added flights to EWR

6. Low Cost Carriers: Another one that really bugs me. I know that Virgin America was enticed by SMF to come here, but the high cost to fly here in 2011 or 2012 was a lot. However, those prices have dropped to less than 14 dollars, and I do think that bringing Allegiant or Frontier will increase competition in SMF due to their low ticket prices.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 11:57 PM

J_deguzman10 just as you hoped new direct flight from Air Canda to Vancouver daily starting next year!!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:15 AM

YEEESSSS!!! Flights to Canada! Maybe if I post a destination request on this form, SMF will add a new destination everytime! LOL

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:22 PM

SMF - Paris?

Nonstop from Sacramento to Paris? Airport is aggressively pursuing first European airline

BY TONY BIZJAK
Sacramento Bee
January 10, 2018

"Buoyed by a record-setting 2017, Sacramento International Airport officials hope to up their game this year by finally landing a major European airline or two.

Their offer: Bring us an international flight –nonstop across the Atlantic – and we’ll let you fly rent-free out of California’s capital for two years.

A new county incentive package approved Tuesday in particular targets low-cost European carriers that recently have expanded their service to smaller U.S. airports, including Oakland and others in California..."

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...193846964.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:23 PM

Well guys I work in an office at SMF and yes Air Canada is coming back-county had to fix some aging jetways and rumor has it that Air Canada might offer a flight to Calgary and Edmonton-we'll see. The county will soon commence work to renovate A Terminal which a shop or two on the northside of the TSA check point will move to another vacant spot to open up more room to expand. Over towards the westside Amazon will be taking over a former employee parking lot that was used for employees working in B Terminal (they've resurfaced an unused lot nearby for them to use), look to see some Amazon DC-10 and maybe even a 747 cargo jet in the near future on that old parking lot. Just a side note its a bit odd that there is no USO at SMF-kinda strange since a lot of service people come through (USO is a nice place to relax watch a big-screen TV, get a sandwich or even take a nap between flights).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
Well guys I work in an office at SMF and yes Air Canada is coming back-county had to fix some aging jetways and rumor has it that Air Canada might offer a flight to Calgary and Edmonton-we'll see. The county will soon commence work to renovate A Terminal which a shop or two on the northside of the TSA check point will move to another vacant spot to open up more room to expand. Over towards the westside Amazon will be taking over a former employee parking lot that was used for employees working in B Terminal (they've resurfaced an unused lot nearby for them to use), look to see some Amazon DC-10 and maybe even a 747 cargo jet in the near future on that old parking lot. Just a side note its a bit odd that there is no USO at SMF-kinda strange since a lot of service people come through (USO is a nice place to relax watch a big-screen TV, get a sandwich or even take a nap between flights).
CastleScott I am ecstatic at that news! I’m j wondering have you heard anything else about future destinations or airliners coming to SMF or have you heard of any expansion plans for the runway, I feel like 8600 feet is too short for a 747, regardless if it’s a cargo or passenger plane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area