HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
[...]
The seller that has the Blaney's photograph for sale also has a 1940s negative of this hotdog stand in Pomona.

EBAY

Cute little business but that bush seems to be right in the way.

If you look closely at the street sign..you will see that it says E. Fifth Avenue. (but the cross street is a mystery)

Here's a closer look at the two people inside. (I lightened it a bit)

I thought they'd be two employees, but the man is wearing a sailor suit.

Can you tell what kind of bush that is odinthor? I like its small attractive flowers.

...oh, and what about that trellis at the window on the left in the top photo. (it is a trellis, right?)

Have you ever seen one that straddles a window like that?

the negative

"1940'S NEGATIVE...FOOT LONG HOT DOGS STAND,COCA COLA SIGN,POMONA CALIFORNIA" EBAY
___

Hmmmm, I'm a little stumped, e_r. Its habit reminds me of some sort of Deutzia (much younger than this one below)

Deutzia scabra in Wikipedia article Deutzia.

But probably more likely would be some kind of Leptospermum (older than this one below)

http://www.australianplants.com/plants.aspx?id=1491

But another possibility would be an Abelia

https://www.monrovia.com/plant-catal...glossy-abelia/

The trellis is interesting, and I can't say that I've seen anything like that either! It's a good idea, though, for how it's being used, as being able to secure it to the house or window frame will give it stability. The implication is that it's something that gets heavy, as a Tomato or Cucumber or something would. Might be the owner's own idea, that about the trellis. Thumbs up to that kind of fresh thinking!

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 1:11 AM

Quote:

EBAY

Cute little business but that bush seems to be right in the way.

If you look closely at the street sign..you will see that it says E. Fifth Avenue. (but the cross street is a mystery)

"1940'S NEGATIVE...FOOT LONG HOT DOGS STAND,COCA COLA SIGN,POMONA CALIFORNIA" EBAY
___
So we are looking at the NE or SW corner of E. 5th (Mission) and a cross street. I looked at the Sanborns for 1928-50 and toured E 5th. The most likely corner I could find was:

lapl.org

It doesn't look like it would take much effort to rotate the little restaurant at E 5th and S Palomares 45 degrees to match the photo.

Today, not much there:

GSV

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 9:50 AM

Thanks so much odinthor and Lorendoc.

After looking at the photograph again I see that there is more space between the bush and the hotdog stand.
There's even a small step for little tykes. (sweet)

Initially I thought the strange looking thing on the right side of the stand was one of those novelty machines for gumballs and what-nots,
but if you look at it close-up, it has all kinds of knobs and other bizarre looking elements. (there are even knobs along the bottom...unless those are lightbulbs)

over there - - - >

As for the homemade trellis/framework on the house; I see that it's attached to the edge of the window frame. -like odinthor said...... "Thumbs up to that kind of fresh thinking!"
And come to think of it, the trellis would come in handy if you want a tomato in the the middle of the night...just reach out the window from your bed.
but not so good if you want to see out your window.
__

p.s. I can't believe you the found the corner where the hotdog was located....and so FAST!! Bravo Lorendoc

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 26, 2018 at 10:12 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 10:41 AM

HAVE A GREAT MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EVERYONE!

flickr

I really like those fancy schmancy snack bowls on tri-pod legs.
__

Just for fun I thought I'd try to find the pedestal snack bowls online (without success)

but I did see this thing.

etsy

What tha?

Can anyone tell me what this is...and how it's practical? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

(I couldn't find a description...just the image)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 26, 2018 at 10:53 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
HAVE A GREAT MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EVERYONE!

flickr

I really like those fancy schmancy snack bowls on tri-pod legs.
Isn't that just a small bullet planter? They were very popular mid-century when this photo was taken. I've never seen one used as a snack server.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:02 PM

Hello! I just wanted to say hi and that I found this thread in 2012 and since late 2015 has been following and saving down pictures from it (currently on page 462!). However I felt it was time to just thank everyone who have posted them and LAPL, USC, etc. for making them available in first place.

I, myself have recently been watching the TV-series Angel. While it's not noir by the true name, I would say it's vampire neo-noir! Angel is a spin-off series of Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer but compared to Buffy which is set in a fictional town, Angel is actually set in Los Angeles. Which means that sometimes you can see actual buildings and landmarks

In episode 3, season 1 you can find them driving by the Orpheum Theatre (built in 1926). It was the fourth and final Los Angeles venue for the Orpheum vaudeville circuit. After a $3 million renovation, started in 1989, it is the most restored of the historical movie palaces in the city.

It's showing The Sixth Sense, which had premier that year (1999).

WB Television Network/Josh Whedon

Here it is in 1961, showing Young Savages.

LAPL

You can see some more vintage shots of it at losangelestheatres.blogspot.com.

In episode 13, season 1, Angel and one of his co-workers are investigating a suspicious death at an ice factory. This ice factory shares backyard with the Southwestern Bag Company (in reality, the "ice factory" is also part of the Southwestern Bag Co.). The warehouse stands at 1380 E 6th St at 6th street and Mateo St. The building they enter stands at 635 Mateo St.

The warehouse in 2017

Google Maps

Here is the "ice factory" aka Southwestern Bag Co. I wonder if any of you could find some older pictures of it?

Google Maps

In season 2, Angel's investigation firm gets a new building they work from. In the series it's called Hyperion Hotel but we better know it as the Los Altos Hotel & Apartments.

Los Altos Hotel, 1950s

Marc Wanamaker/Bison Archives

In episode 11, season 1, Angel and his co-worker are looking for a serial killer (who is also an immortal vampire) and may have found the place where he lives. The suspect seems to have done so at several times in history.
I do however have a hard time identifying this building, but I think I've seen it before in this thread! The names in the pictures are probably fictional.

Here it is in the 1920s

Here it is in the 1960s, and as one of the characters say "New name and a facelift, it's not the first time that has happened in this town".

And finally, as it shows up in the show aka the year 1999

And another building I'm curious about is the building where the LAPD has their headquarters in the series. To me it kinda looks like it could be city hall? But I'm really unsure.

With that, I want to say thank you again! This thread has really emerged me into getting to know more about Los Angeles and looking for old buildings and such in movies, TV-series, etc.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prah View Post
Hello! I just wanted to say hi and that I found this thread in 2012 and since late 2015 has been following and saving down pictures from it (currently on page 462!). However I felt it was time to just thank everyone who have posted them and LAPL, USC, etc. for making them available in first place.

I, myself have recently been watching the TV-series Angel. While it's not noir by the true name, I would say it's vampire neo-noir! Angel is a spin-off series of Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer but compared to Buffy which is set in a fictional town, Angel is actually set in Los Angeles. Which means that sometimes you can see actual buildings and landmarks

In episode 13, season 1, Angel and one of his co-workers are investigating a suspicious death at an ice factory. This ice factory shares backyard with the Southwestern Bag Company (in reality, the "ice factory" is also part of the Southwestern Bag Co.). The warehouse stands at 1380 E 6th St at 6th street and Mateo St. The building they enter stands at 635 Mateo St.

The warehouse in 2017

Google Maps

Here is the "ice factory" aka Southwestern Bag Co. I wonder if any of you could find some older pictures of it?

Google Maps

In episode 11, season 1, Angel and his co-worker are looking for a serial killer (who is also an immortal vampire) and may have found the place where he lives. The suspect seems to have done so at several times in history.
I do however have a hard time identifying this building, but I think I've seen it before in this thread! The names in the pictures are probably fictional.

Here it is in the 1920s

Here it is in the 1960s, and as one of the characters say "New name and a facelift, it's not the first time that has happened in this town".

And another building I'm curious about is the building where the LAPD has their headquarters in the series. To me it kinda looks like it could be city hall? But I'm really unsure.

With that, I want to say thank you again! This thread has really emerged me into getting to know more about Los Angeles and looking for old buildings and such in movies, TV-series, etc.
Great post, Prah, and welcome to the forum!

The last building in your post (the LAPD Headquarters) is the Park Plaza Hotel, across from MacArthur Park:

Google Maps

Google Street View

Here is the Park Plaza Hotel (now called The MacArthur) on Google Maps. The building is a popular filming location, and appears in films like David Lynch's Wild at Heart. It is (or was?) sometimes used as a concert venue, as well - I saw Iggy Pop perform there, as well as Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

The Ice Factory/Bag Company has been discussed here before - perhaps someone who's better than I am at searching the forum might provide some links?

As to the serial killer's hotel, I do not recognize it... but somebody here will probably recognize it instantly - I never cease to be amazed at how the people in this thread can locate buildings like this one, even from just a single photo!

Last edited by Scott Charles; May 26, 2018 at 5:52 PM. Reason: I forgot to add the link credit to my photos

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

The last building in your post (the LAPD Headquarters) is the Park Plaza Hotel, across from MacArthur Park:

[Snipped pictures, see post above]

Here is the Park Plaza Hotel (now called The MacArthur) on Google Maps. The building is a popular filming location, and appears in films like David Lynch's Wild at Heart. It is (or was?) sometimes used as a concert venue, as well - I saw Iggy Pop perform there, as well as Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

The Ice Factory/Bag Company has been discussed here before - perhaps someone who's better than I am at searching the forum might provide some links?

As to the serial killer's hotel, I do not recognize it... but somebody here will probably recognize it instantly - I never cease to be amazed at how the people in this thread can locate buildings like this one, even from just a single photo!
Park Plaza Hotel is definitely the police station! Thank you!

If Bag Co. has been discussed earlier, I'll probably stumble upon those pictures sooner or later

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:

Google Maps
Welcome to the thread, Prah. Here's part of a post about locations that appeared in an episode of 'The A-Team' called 'The Maltese Cow' (season 2, episode 13).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

The building they used for the police station is the 1929 former Hills Bros Coffee Building on Mateo Street.

Universal TV/Stephen J. Cannell Productions

BifRayRock posted some great construction pictures of this building in post #13969, including the one below. The building in the background is the old Metropolitan Warehouse building on E 6th Street which also appeared in the background of a picture posted recently by e_r. I posted a current GSV image in post #26175. It look like the tower never contained a clock!

California State Library

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:

Here it is in the 1920s

I knew this one looked familiar too. GW found it three years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

620 S Ardmore, between Wilshire and 6th.... Built in 1924 according to the assessor.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:

Here's my Angel story—so it's around 1999 or 2000, and there's a knock on the door of our Los Feliz apartment. My fiancée answers and the fellow at the door explains, we'd like to use the outside of your building in a TV show, can you give me the contact information for the building owner? And would you be willing to be home tonight to turn on and off your lights so we can get some different shots?

Now, my fiancée was an extremely crafty gal. She explains that this would be a great inconvenience and talks him into doubling his figure (I think we got $200). THEN she gives my number in place of the actual apartment owners, closes the door, turns and tells me I should be expecting a call. And that by the way, I own the building and don't take less than $500 from these people.

And that is exactly what happened, and we paid our rent that month courtesy of Warner Brothers, and cheated our landlord out of his rightful due. "Cheated" sounds harsh. Appropriated?

This was us, second floor above the arch, great place, wide plank floors, ironwork sconces, the most amazing tiled bathrooms ever (which had their original 1931 toilets [one black, one pink] when we signed the lease, but before we moved in the owner trashed them in favor of lo-flo, so screw that guy, he deserved the appropriation). The place was built in early 1932 and designed by William E. Chadwick, about whom I know little, other than he designed this other red tile & stucco character in '29, and this wonderful house, and there's about a dozen mentions of him in the papers between '25-'33 as having designed houses, offices and apartments but without any definitive addresses.

And I hadn't thought about any of this (or my now ex-wife) in at least a decade, until your post, so I googled "3488 Rowena Angel" and came upon this post from iamnotastalker.com

I was thrilled as well to see—

—none other than my very own green '97 Saturn wagon parked out front! I loved that car up till her untimely demise in a 2013 at the hands of a kid who ran the light at Green & Marengo.

Thanks again and glad you're enjoying NLA! We're just getting warmed up!

Last edited by Beaudry; May 26, 2018 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 11:36 PM

Question for everybody--if you could magically or scientifically visit some past decade in L.A. or anywhere, which decade would you choose? My first choice would be the 1920s. specifically 1924-1929. Would be a fun Sunday to see Sister Aimee at Angelus Temple, and go to a Yankees game in NYC in 1927. etc. Dance the Charleston. Visit a speakeasy. Listen to jazz. Go to the first performance of "Rhapsody in Blue" in 1924. Meet iconoclast H.L. Mencken on his 1926 L.A. & Hollywood visit (he went to a Angelus Temple service). Attend the Scopes Trial. Watch Lindy take off for Paree. Etc.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 27, 2018 at 9:46 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Question for everybody--if you could magically or scientifically visit some past decade in L.A. or anywhere, which decade would you choose? My first choice would be the 1920s. specifically 1925-1929. Would be a fun Sunday to see Sister Aimee at Angelus Temple, and go to a Yankees game in NYC in 1927. etc. Dance the Charleston. Visit a speakeasy. Listen to jazz.
1840s. Lots of exciting social/political turbulence as various olds (old generations, old ways, old institutions, etc.) gave way to various news!

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 1:34 AM
BANNED

Cruising around LA at night...1950s watch video below>>>>link

https://youtu.be/bDQPkdcQCAg

1950's Los Angeles Noir! Cruisin’ around Bob’s Big Boy in Toluca Lake, California! Take a trip to Flipsville! Amazing footage from Petrified Films via Getty Images. Music is the D.J Mad Mike monster hit “Slappin’ Rods and Leaky oil” by the Savoys, 1959. #heppestofthehep #hep #hoth

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 27, 2018 at 2:30 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 3:58 AM

Ventura Blvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
\
Wow that was amazing footage CBD. Thanks for posting it, and happy Memorial Day to all. As to favorite decade, hmm, 1940s...

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 4:19 AM

Give me Pasadena in the '50s. A sleepy backwater compared to vibrant, noirish LA proper, it was paradise on earth for a kid. It still lives in memory as the best phase of my life.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 7:20 AM

Quote:

In episode 3, season 1 you can find them driving by the Orpheum Theatre (built in 1926). It was the fourth and final Los Angeles venue for the Orpheum vaudeville circuit. After a $3 million renovation, started in 1989, it is the most restored of the historical movie palaces in the city.

It's showing The Sixth Sense, which had premier that year (1999).

Here it is in 1961, showing Young Savages.

LAPL

You can see some more vintage shots of it at losangelestheatres.blogspot.com.
Here's a picture of the lobby of the Orpheum I took earlier this year:
20180127_195608.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

Google Maps

Google Street View

Maybe it is a hotel now, but wasn't this building once the original main Elk's Lodge in L.A.?

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
Give me Pasadena in the '50s. A sleepy backwater compared to vibrant, noirish LA proper, it was paradise on earth for a kid. It still lives in memory as the best phase of my life.
Pasadena in the 1950s was nice, but often very smoggy.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 9:59 AM

Question for everybody--if you could magically or scientifically visit some past decade in L.A. or anywhere, which decade would you choose? My first choice would be the 1920s. specifically 1924-1929. Would be a fun Sunday to see Sister Aimee at Angelus Temple, and go to a Yankees game in NYC in 1927. etc. Dance the Charleston with a wild flapper. Visit a speakeasy. Listen to jazz. Go to the first performance of "Rhapsody in Blue" in 1924. Meet iconoclast H.L. Mencken on his 1926 L.A. & Hollywood visit (he went to an Angelus Temple service). Attend the Scopes Trial. Watch Lindy take off for Paree. Etc. Maybe the 1960s, when the Doors first broke on through to the other side on the Sunset Strip. Good second choice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos