HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Nice to see a possibly decent building going in here. Haven't heard anything with the two properties on 84 and 51 Weidler respectively for a while. What's going on there? One might expect this area to develop quickly with the streetcar having been built years ago.
I don't know how much the old street design over there has to do with it, but would YOU want to live there with how wide Broadway and Weidler are? Plus MLK and Grand?

We lived in NW and often took the streetcar over to the inner eastside, mostly to get to Dishman community center.

There is absolutely nothing to write home about when it comes to walking any of the streets over there. Unless the city decides to road diet the entire inner east side, there will never be the same level of comfort when it comes to living in said area.

But this is all just my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
I don't know how much the old street design over there has to do with it, but would YOU want to live there with how wide Broadway and Weidler are? Plus MLK and Grand?

We lived in NW and often took the streetcar over to the inner eastside, mostly to get to Dishman community center.

There is absolutely nothing to write home about when it comes to walking any of the streets over there. Unless the city decides to road diet the entire inner east side, there will never be the same level of comfort when it comes to living in said area.

But this is all just my opinion.
Agreed. Certainly not. Given protected bike lanes on Weidler/Broadway as demonstrated by Better Block PDX, the street would take a leap toward being livable. Shit street designs aren't often seen as an impediment to development.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 12:28 AM

Proposal Notice for 1337 E Burnside Street

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Six story project with mechanical parking rising in Hollywood

On June 27, Deacon Development hosted a groundbreaking at 4242 N.E. Halsey Street in the Hollywood neighborhood to kick off construction of their Laurel 42 multifamily project, a six-story apartment building that will offer 100 residential units, 2,000 square feet of street-level retail and 60 parking spaces with an automated, three-stack, mechanical parking system. The building, on the long-vacant lot adjacent to 24 Hour Fitness and just east of the Hollywood MAX station, is targeted for completion in October of 2018.

“It’s been a good team effort,” said Steve Deacon, CEO of Deacon Construction and Deacon Development – both of which are headquartered in the Kerns neighborhood. “I’ve really enjoyed the process of pulling together all the thoughts and ideas from so many different folks. Our company has built thousands of apartment units, but we’ve never developed one. It’s a whole different ballgame for us. Usually we just go build what someone else has conceived.”
...continues at the Hollywood Star News.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Broken promises: making good after decades of neglect

In the early 1970s, Emanuel Hospital, with the backing of city leaders, leveled the commercial center of the historically black Albina neighborhood in north Portland with an eye toward future hospital development.

Urban renewal was regarded as a necessary cure for an area that was seen as blighted. But the cure wrought by Portland and hospital officials left a key urban property neglected for decades.

In 1980, the Portland Development Commission sold the 1.7-acre block bounded by North Williams and Vancouver avenues and Russell and Knott streets to what was then Emanuel Hospital (now part of Legacy Health) for less than $400,000 with a covenant to develop the property according to an urban renewal plan.

The planned hospital expansion never happened. Federal grants to build hospitals dried up, and Emanuel expanded elsewhere, while the PDC (now Prosper Portland) turned its attention to other projects.

The property sat largely untouched for 37 years as Portland grew around it, providing a visible reminder of urban neglect, broken promises and a decades-long failure of leadership by two powerful Portland institutions.
...continues at the DJC (unlocked).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:55 PM

Not to be pedantic but this block is actually in North Portland although it borders NE.

Emmanuel Hospital actually has a lot of underused real estate and the whole area is fairly low density. The basically have three other unused blocks between Russell and Knott which could be easily be developed on the South end of the complex and at the Northern end have several blocks used for parking. The Eastern part of the complex along N. Vancouver is also low density 1-3 story parking.

One street improvement at Emmanuel which would be very welcome would be a traffic circle where the on and off ramps to the freeway join N. Cook Street.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:13 PM

Notice of a Type II Decision on 5036 NE Sandy.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Not surprised at the unsupportive comments from the neighborhood. Rose City is notorious for not supporting infill of any kind. Having worked with them on planning around the NE 60th MAX station, they seemed to oppose anything other than strip malls and single-family residential. I wouldn't be surprised if they appealed this, and I can't wait for their appeal to fail.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Approval has been appealed by a neighbor. Design Commission will consider the appeal on September 28th.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 7:01 PM

Notice of a Public Hearing on 1500 NE Irving

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 6:36 AM

Presentation [25 MB] and Staff Report for 1732 NE 2nd Ave, which went before the Design Commission today.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Presentation [25 MB] and Staff Report for 1732 NE 2nd Ave, which went before the Design Commission today.

I don't mind it... I feel like the cargo containers vibe is running a little thin for me, but this building is really far from similar designs and will at least feel unique in its context.

I feel like they need to do some work to break up the monotony of the center mass though. If they extend the darker facade element that is creeping into the 2nd and 3rd story I think that could be interesting.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAtheSky View Post

I don't mind it... I feel like the cargo containers vibe is running a little thin for me, but this building is really far from similar designs and will at least feel unique in its context.

I feel like they need to do some work to break up the monotony of the center mass though. If they extend the darker facade element that is creeping into the 2nd and 3rd story I think that could be interesting.
I'm having the hardest time figuring out which firm in Portland designed this one...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
I'm having the hardest time figuring out which firm in Portland designed this one...
Works Progress Arch.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Works Progress Arch.
I think he was joking

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
I think he was joking
Ooops, LOL!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 12:23 AM

Drawings [5 MB] for the Lexus dealership at 3075 NE Sandy Boulevard.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 1:37 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAtheSky View Post

I agree that WPA seems to be stuck in a rut designing so many 'stacked boxes' buildings. But at least those with varied 'apertures' framing a variety of windows are more interesting than this proposal that sets the same pair of rectangular windows within each frame. The pattern is so unrelenting that it seems oppressive.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 4:32 AM
Semi-Lurker

There is a interesting little rendering of the project down the street on 28th hidden in that Lexus Dealership presentation. They seem to believe that this building is going to be a magnet for avian life, perhaps in the same way that seagulls are attracted to literal piles of garbage.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 12:10 AM

Jesus, some one got paid to design that. Let your average homeless dude on sandy design something. Couldn't be worse. We need an architecture revolution. The industry is so stuck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland