HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The Tuscany LRT station is going to get a roundabout on the north side entrance - I'm very pleased to see the city embrace more of these, when appropriate. I personally think damn near every 4-way and low-traffic stoplight should be replaced with them.

Is there any chance we could see some of our diamond-type interchanges get reconstructed to eliminate some of the more needless lights in the city? I'm not sure although I assume a roundabout requires more surface area - traffic engineers, any ideas?
There were 2 roudabouts built for the temporary Glenmore/37th interchange, and they work beautifully. Having looked at the plans for that intersection as part of the SW Ring Road, they will be removed, and a standard bridge with lights at both ends will be installed (if the Tsuu T'ina route is chosen). (Though the plan also explored putting one in in Signal Hill, between the A&W and the PetroCanada. If there was ever a location that could use one, I think that would be it.)

It's a shame, but it looks as if roundabouts are only being built for single lane interactions. Does anyone know if the city has a policy about roundabouts, especially multi-lane roundabouts?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
It's a shame, but it looks as if roundabouts are only being built for single lane interactions. Does anyone know if the city has a policy about roundabouts, especially multi-lane roundabouts?
I'm fairly wary of multi-lane roundabouts myself, at least until we get people more used to the concept in general. McKenzie Towne is a shitshow sometimes. However even just taking advantage of single-lane... we could add hundreds to this city easily.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
I'm very pleased to see the city embrace more of these, when appropriate. I personally think damn near every 4-way and low-traffic stoplight should be replaced with them.
i've heard rumblings in the past that the city has/is exploring the possibilities of a roundabout at macleod and heritage.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post

Ok, back to my dream of Bow trail and 9th ave sw looking like this. Hopefully
the city has plans to line both sides of this road with nice big trees
Right - the Champs 'solution' would also solve the Bow trail, Crowchild, Memorial intersection, as it would simply be an unmarked six lane traffic circle. The new Arch de Rocky Mountains in the middle would be a great observation point, and would not only have statues underneath, but would also have the elevated LRT running through it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
i've heard rumblings in the past that the city has/is exploring the possibilities of a roundabout at macleod and heritage.
As long as the tracks are still there, this seems like a bad idea, with backups and blockages happening when the train is running by. Also, that would be a 3 lane circle on one of the busiest roads in Calgary... I'm not sure we're ready for that!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 7:29 PM

Quote:
As long as the tracks are still there, this seems like a bad idea, with backups and blockages happening when the train is running by. Also, that would be a 3 lane circle on one of the busiest roads in Calgary... I'm not sure we're ready for that!
The design would not be a pure traffic circle. It would be an interchange incorporating a traffic circle. Basically Macleod would be free flowing underneath a traffic circle that would serve Heritage Drive and the Macleod Trail on/off ramps. The circle would be elevated above the current level of Macleod to allow Heritage to bridge over the C-Train and freight tracks.

I have no idea if that design is still the one favoured by the city. As I recall the interchange plans were the ones that involved the traffic circle but the Heritage Station Development plan shows a common diamond/SPUI interchange. I have no idea if the station plan reflects the current thinking or if they just neglected to consult with the roads department to see what it had planned.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 7:30 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
I'm fairly wary of multi-lane roundabouts myself, at least until we get people more used to the concept in general. McKenzie Towne is a shitshow sometimes. However even just taking advantage of single-lane... we could add hundreds to this city easily.
I'm ok with multilane if the circle is big enough so that you're not crazily shoulder checking just to get in and then immediately doing so a few seconds later to get out. If it's big enough that there is a respectable pause between entering and exiting the inner circle that's cool.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 7:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassic Lab View Post
The design would not be a pure traffic circle. It would be an interchange incorporating a traffic circle. Basically Macleod would be free flowing underneath a traffic circle that would serve Heritage Drive and the Macleod Trail on/off ramps. The circle would be elevated above the current level of Macleod to allow Heritage to bridge over the C-Train and freight tracks.

I have no idea if that design is still the one favoured by the city. As I recall the interchange plans were the ones that involved the traffic circle but the Heritage Station Development plan shows a common diamond/SPUI interchange. I have no idea if the station plan reflects the current thinking or if they just neglected to consult with the roads department to see what it had planned.
Interesting, that makes much more sense. I think if we don't try some of these things, we will never know if we can be doing things better.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Interesting, that makes much more sense. I think if we don't try some of these things, we will never know if we can be doing things better.
A rather expensive experiment, no?

Calgary drivers can't even navigate the traffic circle at Glenmore / 37th, I can't see how this would be any better. Glad I rarely go near that area...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 8:31 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

So could that design replace all of the diamond interchanges on deerfoot too? (would Macleod over Glenmore be too crazy for a circle?)

Edit: Macleod almost needs something crazy like an elevated circle for all the ramps to play together with Macleod free-flow beneath.

Last edited by DizzyEdge; Feb 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 8:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post

Calgary drivers can't even navigate the traffic circle at Glenmore / 37th, I can't see how this would be any better. Glad I rarely go near that area...
I'm not sure what you mean about Glenmore/37th. Apart from the first week or so (with some admittedly terrible signage), I haven't seen drivers who 'can't even navigate the traffic circle at Glenmore / 37th'. All aspects of traffic at that intersection have improved dramatically since that interchange went in. Both circles are a good addition.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post

One major benefit of a Round About Interchange would be allowing traffic from northbound Horton Road to easily access westbound Heritage by taking the circle all the way around (Horton Road is currently a pure right in/right out on Heritage). It would also more easily allow northbound Horton traffic to access northbound Macleod, which is theoretically possible today but incredibly difficult in heavy traffic.

That kind of benefit is essential if Horton Road is to continue to attract intense development along the lines of the London condos or the planned Heritage Station office towers. Most of the Horton Road strip could form a prime TOD opportunity but even TODs need reasonable traffic access.

For that reason, I am all for a Round About Interchange at Heritage as opposed to a Diamond. It shouldn't work any worse than the McKenzie Towne Traffic Circle. The vehicle flows from Heritage and Macleod's ramps aren't that heavy and grade separating the train tracks should help immensely (Heritage is probably the busiest road crossing on the S LRT with the possible exception of 162 Ave). That and adding a few more multi-lane traffic circles should really help teach people how to use them. I imagine most of the problems at the McKenzie Towne Circle are caused by occasional users with the people who do it daily knowing how.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:27 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about Glenmore/37th. Apart from the first week or so (with some admittedly terrible signage), I haven't seen drivers who 'can't even navigate the traffic circle at Glenmore / 37th'. All aspects of traffic at that intersection have improved dramatically since that interchange went in. Both circles are a good addition.
People in this city/country tend to overstate how bad drivers are in roundabouts. I hear a lot of people whining about the driving in the one by the Crowfoot LRT station - sure, there's the odd idiot who can't seem to figure it out, but that's no different than what happens every day with 4-way stops or lighted intersections. Personally when I pay attention, I don't see roundabouts being particularly better or worse in that respect - but I DO notice how much time I spend sitting at red lights when there's little to no cross traffic.

But for whatever reason, we tend to notice bad drivers at roundabouts more.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
People in this city/country tend to overstate how bad drivers are in roundabouts. I hear a lot of people whining about the driving in the one by the Crowfoot LRT station - sure, there's the odd idiot who can't seem to figure it out, but that's no different than what happens every day with 4-way stops or lighted intersections. Personally when I pay attention, I don't see roundabouts being particularly better or worse in that respect - but I DO notice how much time I spend sitting at red lights when there's little to no cross traffic.

But for whatever reason, we tend to notice bad drivers at roundabouts more.
I really haven't noticed a problem at any single lane circles but there are a fair number of people who consistently misuse the multi-lane ones. If the police ever felt like setting up a trap for anything other than speeding, a day parked at the McKenzie Towne circle would generate a fair number of failure to yield, failure to signal, failure to follow signage, improper lane change, and so on tickets.

Of course the same could be said of just about anywhere but that behaviour seems more dangerous and disruptive to traffic at circles. I'm thinking here of all the people that tend to travel more than one exit in the right hand lane and neglect to yield to traffic in the left.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:46 PM

I'd love to see more roundabouts - at least single lane ones. If you can't figure out how to use one after 1 try then you should give up your license.

A lot of the Stoney Trail interchanges have lights at both ends on the side roads. It wouldn't work everywhere but in places like the Scenic/Tuscany & Stoney interchange it would really speed up traffic flow. The lights on both ends aren't timed at all, and you often see a bunch of cars waiting while a road with no cars has the green. The road in Scenic Acres is 2 lanes each way - divided (better specs than spots of Crowchild lol), but they would only really need 1 lane if there was a roundabout. The 2 lanes are mainly for storing traffic at the red lights. Change it to 1 lane with a wide shoulder and you'd have lots of room for a bike lane and a mini-Champs.

If they don't take up too much room (still an open question from Freeweed), I'm going to suggest it to the Alberta Transportation guys for the final build in that interchange. For some reason I see they have plans to reconfigure the turning circles anyway when the road reaches final build stage. It might be a 20-30 year wait, but it would be worth it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:50 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

I sometimes go partially out of my way to use the traffic circle at 26th avenue/highfield road/dartmouth, just because I like driving through traffic circles so much. Too fun!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:35 AM
I'm the bear on the right

37th & Glenmore does move better, however it has created a problem at Richardson Way/45th Ave & 37th St. When 37th & Glenmore had traffic lights, there was enough of a traffic-free gap where a left turn from 37th onto Richardson could be made without a problem. Now, the 37th St traffic flows without gaps and the left turn onto Richardson becomes problematic. I notice this each morning as the #73 has to wait multiple lights or simply turns on the red.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:08 AM
IMHO

One that I find amusing is the "traffic square" in Coventry, here.

It's a perfectly OK traffic distributor, but putting a playground in the middle of it - doesn't seem the best idea in my books.

The city is trying to push more traffic circles, but there is some resistance - my neighborhood of Mayland Heights was against the idea of a traffic circle at 19th & 14th Ave - we ended up with a traffic light instead

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:14 AM
IMHO

On another front, today's Alberta budget showed a marked decrease in funding for road infrastructure - nothing of any significance for the whole province in terms of new projects.

About the only road thing I see in the Calgary area is a 2012 contract to 6-lane the #2 between Crossfield and #581 (Carstairs exit)

I was hoping to see an interchange expansion for highway 22 and highway 2A - that is going to be a mess once the SE ring road opens up. Next year hopefully!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 4:55 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
37th & Glenmore does move better, however it has created a problem at Richardson Way/45th Ave & 37th St. When 37th & Glenmore had traffic lights, there was enough of a traffic-free gap where a left turn from 37th onto Richardson could be made without a problem. Now, the 37th St traffic flows without gaps and the left turn onto Richardson becomes problematic. I notice this each morning as the #73 has to wait multiple lights or simply turns on the red.
It honestly sounds like a second roundabout there would help, even a single-lane one (with dedicated turns). It's a wide area, the traffic from the south originates as a single lane, the traffic from the north will eventually narrow to a single lane, and there are enough people turning in all directions. I think it would be a good candidate for a circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
One that I find amusing is the "traffic square" in Coventry, here.

It's a perfectly OK traffic distributor, but putting a playground in the middle of it - doesn't seem the best idea in my books.

The city is trying to push more traffic circles, but there is some resistance - my neighborhood of Mayland Heights was against the idea of a traffic circle at 19th & 14th Ave - we ended up with a traffic light instead
Garrison Woods has a similar one here

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...berta&t=h&z=18

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure