HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 1:38 AM

Not far from us, an old building was demolished last month. Now the empty lot is for sale, for $5m. I don't really know how much vacant land goes for, but $5m seems like a lot. Is this dude just trolling, or what would explain a price like this?

(Also: the old building had a basement over maybe a quarter of the entire lot, which has been filled in with gravel. Would there typically be any obvious reason a developer couldn't just remove the gravel and adapt the old basement to parking, thus escaping the usual high cost of underground parking spots?)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:02 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Not far from us, an old building was demolished last month. Now the empty lot is for sale, for $5m. I don't really know how much vacant land goes for, but $5m seems like a lot. Is this dude just trolling, or what would explain a price like this?
R1 allows up to 65 units/acre with bonuses. So lets say 32 units on the lot comes out to $156,250 per unit.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 3:44 AM

Wow, so that's actually a realistic price. Huh.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 4:20 AM

Is it though? A couple examples:

Security Properties paid $11.75 million for the old PNCA site, which is twice the size. However the zoning there allowed for a 208 unit tower, plus a 60,000 office building. That's $56,490.38 a unit for the land, without even assigning any value to the office or the retail spaces.

Gerding Edlen paid $1.66 million for the Portland Police Association site at 19th & Overton, on which they're building 58 units... which comes out at $28,586 a unit for the land.

(As a side note, this illustrates why single family homes will never again be cheap in Portland. Imagine buying a 5,000 sq ft R5 zoned piece of land at those prices).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 4:23 AM

Interesting. Those other deals are certainly better. But I thought I'd heard that some development, maybe Hassalo on 8th, had cost around $150K per unit. Of course, apples to oranges, probably.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 5:19 AM

Maybe that was the construction cost, but there's no way it was the land cost. The entire Hassalo on Eighth superblock last sold for $92 million in 2011, but it also contains an office tower that Multnomah County currently estimates to be worth $34.8 million (likely conservative). Even assuming that land was valued by the purchaser at $57.2 (doubtful), that's still only $87,062 a unit for the land.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 5:43 AM

Ah, right, OK. So probably he doesn't really expect to get that. I wonder what that means.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Big out-of-town money buys up Portland rentals

Judith and Cliff Allen have owned the modest Marcus Apartments in Portland's Irvington neighborhood since 1979. They personally know their 10 tenants, many of whom have lived there long-term and pay rents that these days are below the market rate. The building is 50 years old, but the renters like having hands-on landlords, said the Allens, who live in Clackamas County.

The couple now wants to build another 12-unit structure on the parking lot in front of the building. The surprising thing, said Brian Emerick, former chair of Portland's Historic Landmarks Commission, is that they didn't just knock down the old building and put up something bigger and fancier – and a lot more expensive.

"Almost no developer would have saved the existing building," Emerick said. "They would have just knocked it down" and maximized the lot's value.

But the Allens don't want to throw their longtime tenants out of their apartments. It was perhaps a rare decision by an increasingly rare breed – the mom-and-pop landlord.

"There are very few of us left," Judith Allen said. "People who both own and manage. ... It's very expensive and time-consuming."

If local landlords are on the way out, it's because they're being replaced at a surprisingly fast clip by large institutional investors.

In 2015, the Portland area saw more than $1.7 billion in sales of large multifamily properties, more than double the previous record set in 2007, according to data collected by the commercial real estate firm Jones Lang LaSalle. Much of that money comes from pension funds, banks, unions, insurance companies or real estate investment trusts.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 11:01 PM

It is just me? It feels like there's been a real slowdown in new projects announced over the past few weeks.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It is just me? It feels like there's been a real slowdown in new projects announced over the past few weeks.
Yup plus if you count the possible cancellation of phase 2 of the Oregon Square project your def right

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 2:20 AM

Source on possible cancellation?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Source on possible cancellation?
Listen to their group call in the Oregon square project thread. Most likely a lesser, underwhelming project will be built is my guess..

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Last week alone:

Not to mention some pretty signficant projects currently on the Design Commission agenda, including:
  • A 20 story hotel at SW 3rd & Salmon
  • The Multnomah County Courthouse
  • The OHSU Knight Cancer Research Bldg
  • Con-way Block 290
  • A 21 story condo building on Pearl Block 20

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:16 AM

OK, good point. I guess my impression is off. Maybe due to the low number of posts over the past few days.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:24 AM

It definitely has been quiet in here...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:42 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It definitely has been quiet in here...
The weather has been pretty nice and the Blazers have been killing it in the playoffs.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:15 AM
BANNED

Go blazers!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 4:30 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
I feel the same way as all of you guys do about Chicago. You definitely get a lot more real city than you do for your money there compared to Portland. Transit is better / more substantial, better cultural institutions, and it's way cheaper. I guess the food scene isn't as good but I can't imagine it being bad either.

After living in London and visiting other world cities and big US cities I feel like I'm overpaying to be in a lower tier US city sometimes. My rent in London was about the same as I pay here, granted the space was smaller and not as nice, but in exchange I had access to some of the best transit, museums, restaurants, shopping, parks etc. in the world. As I've traveled more I've also realized a lot of the things that Portland is known for are not unique to Portland. The good coffee shops and bike friendly culture can be had in Berlin for less and it's often times it's done better. DC and Minneapolis seem to be making better strides with bike infrastructure investment and Denver is putting a lot of money into transit. Yet we're having some of the most insane price increases. It doesn't make sense to me as to why it's happening. It's great here but not *that* great, and certainly not great enough to justify some of these prices.

I live in a new building and a huge % of the people moved here blindly from other states. Primarily California but there's plenty of east coast or even PNW transplants in the building. Many of whom are using their savings to be here and are still looking for jobs. It will be interesting to see how it pans out when a lot of these people can't find jobs here to sustain the high rent.

One couple from Chicago visited Portland for a few days and decided to move here for the "culture and to live in a city where they could live without a car". Two months later I see they bought a Subaru. Talked to one of them in the elevator recently and they said they don't really like it here because the people are strange. I wonder how many transplants will end up leaving for reasons similar.

Overall my biggest concern is that there is a huge disconnect between the prices in the housing market (rental and owned) and the local wages and job market. It's also worrisome that it's rare to find any property for sale under $350,000 in inner SE and NE and N. Developers really should start building condos again. With interest rates right now, my mortgage would definitely be lower than my rent right now. The only problem is there's not enough supply for people like me to find anything in the areas I'd want to live. The only two condos I can think of near me (28th & Burnside, and Division & 26th) only have one unit for sale in each and they're over priced and have weird layouts... So in the mean time way too much of my monthly income will continue going towards rent.
Here's a thought;

A lot of people have rather broad reasons that make them uncomfortable about the long term liveability or future of where they come from. So many states and cities are having self-inflicted but intractable problems related to budgets, politics, public education, etc.

Younger people from middle class backgrounds who go to college and become more mobile and see their former hometowns as sinking ships, or those who just don't feel at home at home, are logically going to make up most of the inter-migratory population. And this demographic is going to flock to places with the best overall, multiple factor reputation for being liveable.

States like Oregon and Colorado present themselves as "well rounded" I think. Good economies, comparatively rational politics, lots of natural beauty, the reputation of having a laid back culture whether real or imagined, lots of things to do, not cheap but not as bad as California. Portland and Denver and Minneapolis are just big and urban enough to be "cool" but they are not competing with places that are larger and more vibrant because those don't have their other advantages?

Also when you subtract the importance urban lifestyle argument for people moving to a place, is Portland that expensive? Where I live in Texas has a booming economy and the consequence of that is places once assumed to be "cheap" see ever-increasing rents and home prices that seem to be on track to converge with averages in most other cities. Yes, this is proportional to average income if the growing economy is taken into consideration, but this is also a very unequal place so a lot of people aren't getting the benefit of that. It feels like a wash.

Last edited by llamaorama; Apr 26, 2016 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 8:52 PM

New report: Rents rose 13 percent annually, but new supply slowed price growth
By Luke Hammill | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on April 26, 2016 at 11:55 AM, updated April 26, 2016 at 12:31 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/front-porc...art_river_home

Quote:
Rents in the Portland area rose 13 percent over the past year – far above a national rate that is closer to 4 percent – according to a report released Tuesday by the rental industry trade association Multifamily NW. But a wave of new construction has slowed the price appreciation a little since the fall and caused the vacancy rate to tick upward.

"Despite all the new construction, it's still a landlord's market," said Mark Barry, founder of Barry & Associates, which specializes in apartment appraisals. Barry helped present Multifamily NW's biannual Apartment Report at the Multnomah Athletic Club Tuesday morning.

The vacancy rate is still very low – about 3.5 percent, the report found – but when the fall 2015 report was released in October, it stood at a record low, 2.9 percent.

"Most of these vacancies are in the new product," Barry said.

The report found that rent increases slowed to 5.3 percent since the fall report, reflecting an annualized rate closer to 10 percent. That annualized figure stood at 14 percent as of October.

Rent actually decreased slightly in downtown Portland, with rates there falling from $2.15 to $2.10 per square foot – still the highest in the region. Rent increased everywhere else.

...(continues)

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:39 PM

Coming this week: Project Watch, the Business Journal's interactive development tracker
May 3, 2016, 10:47am PDT Updated May 3, 2016, 10:56am PDT
Jon Bell Staff Reporter
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...702&j=72884852

Quote:
The real estate world is on fire in Portland right now, and it's connected to just about everything going on in town.

Tech firms moving or expanding here? There's been just a few of those lately. New hotels, office buildings and apartments coming out of the ground? Almost every week. Clashes over affordable housing and the homeless? It comes up all the time.

Here at the Portland Business Journal, we cover all the hot real estate news every day, largely through our free daily Real Estate Inc. newsletter. If you're not yet signed up for it, you should be. And now there's an even better reason to do so: Project Watch.

Tomorrow, the Business Journal will officially launch our interactive development tracker, Project Watch, in Real Estate Inc. We've been busy compiling projects and information to pack into the map. The list of projects is already a long one, and we're just getting started.

Over the next few weeks we'll be building out the database and the map with as many major projects as we can find and tracking them from the early planning stages through construction and completion. If there are any that we miss, feel free to let us know. We’ll be updating the page regularly.

In the meantime, sign up for Real Estate Inc. so you never miss any of the key real estate happenings in Portland — and so you'll get a first look at Project Watch when it goes live tomorrow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics