HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
I've always found it odd how IKEA never presented itself in Winnipeg, yet did so in Edmonton and Calgary when they were Winnipeg's size today. What an underserved market, especially when similar sized cities (Hamilton/Burlington, Quebec City) already have their own IKEA. From what I hear about Winnipegers going to the U.S. and bringing a shitload of IKEA stuff, it will be successful. Something tells me it would be successful in Saskatchewan too, which is in a similar situation. It has a total population to support it, but not a single city large enough.
You could argue Edmonton was a special case, because the original IKEA location was in the West Edmonton Mall.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:24 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Whoa, really? How did QC lose IKEA?
It closed about 15-20 years ago, but I don't know why. Hard to imagine the store wasn't popular, since Ikea's style is generally right up the Québécois' alley.

There are regular rumours about Ikea opening up in Quebec City again, but none have ever been confirmed.

The Ikea in the Montreal suburb of Boucherville is just over 200 km from Quebec City.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 2:21 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
I would hope that you mean "detailed engineering design"
Yes, the complete design team - Architect and Engineers are in Working Drawings (Detailed Design) and a Project Manager has been appointed.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Yes, the complete design team - Architect and Engineers are in Working Drawings (Detailed Design) and a Project Manager has been appointed.
In response:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB...eature=related

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 8:07 PM

Victoria used to have an IKEA too, as did Halifax apparently

the one in victoria was not a big box store though

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 9:43 PM

very interesting.

it would be interesting to find out why exactly these IKEA stores closed.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 10:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
very interesting.

it would be interesting to find out why exactly these IKEA stores closed.
people realized its not any better then the crap you buy from Wal-Mart? I know Victoria has a very strong local busines scene, I'm sure people just realized they could buy better quality products for a little bit more and also support their community.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 10:49 PM

IKEA closed in Halifax in 1988 because the government forced it to close on sundays so IKEA responded by shutting the store down

according to this: http://ruk.ca/content/no-ikea-you

there are special bus trips arranged from victoria every weekend for shoppers to go to IKEA - its that much of a draw - its beyond the furniture which comes at all levels - you can get a sofa for $199 or $1299 and you get the quality you pay for, same you can get a MDF cheap book case for $29 or a billy for $79 or a solid wood one for $299 - they offer loads of varying qualities plus they have great frames and linens aagin at all price points

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 8:35 PM

Finally an Update:

Ikea eyes 2012 Winnipeg opening
CBC News
Posted: Mar 28, 2011 2:29 PM CT
Last Updated: Mar 28, 2011 2:29 PM CT

Swedish furniture giant Ikea plans to open its Winnipeg store in late 2012.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 10:59 PM

Excellent, finally a concrete date. Late 2012 eh? Nice.

edit:

From the article:

Quote:
The retailer's 350,000-square-foot store will be the anchor tenant in a massive big-box development that will turn about 80 hectares of industrial land into the largest development the city has seen in 25 years.

It is expected to take about 12 years to complete the entire development of the site.

It will be done in stages, starting with the Ikea property and followed by more than one million square feet of commercial and residential development , including the possibility of a 100-room hotel, 500-unit condo building and 16-screen movie theatre.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 11:06 PM
GQMF

Yes. I could buy some cool looking furniture before the world blows up.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 11:36 PM

I wonder what kind of floorplate the 500 unit condo building would have...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 4:15 AM
BANNED

I'm still failing to see how this development fits in with things like Plan Winnipeg. awful.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 5:57 PM

True, it would have been awesome if they could somehow have gotten the IKEA downtown

but ultimately a development like this is much better for Winnipeg vs were it not happening.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 6:29 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
True, it would have been awesome if they could somehow have gotten the IKEA downtown
Why? IKEA is a big box retailer by nature and requires massive amounts of square footage and warehouse space.

While we all may dream of an idealistic urban IKEA, it really wouldn't happen and would have the street character equivalent to the old Canada Post sorting facility. Most of the street presence would be a big blue wall or loading bays for the semi trucks delivering new stock.

Not exactly what I would want occupying a downtown block. It is bad enough we have the MTS Center doing about the same thing. Especially along Donald and Hargrave.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Why? IKEA is a big box retailer by nature and requires massive amounts of square footage and warehouse space.

While we all may dream of an idealistic urban IKEA, it really wouldn't happen and would have the street character equivalent to the old Canada Post sorting facility. Most of the street presence would be a big blue wall or loading bays for the semi trucks delivering new stock.

Not exactly what I would want occupying a downtown block. It is bad enough we have the MTS Center doing about the same thing. Especially along Donald and Hargrave.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. IKEA is not conducive to downtown at all. Not only would it be terrible for the street presence, but it would also require a vast amount of parking - Ikea isn't going to bank their success on the notion that people are going to be bussing to pick up their Poang Chairs and Billy Bookcases... And, as Hotwired mentions, there would be a constant stream of semis needing access to the building - not really what you want downtown.

Anytime you're building a 350,000 sq foot building, you're going to want to build it on the cheapest land possible - imagine having to buy prime real estate downtown to build this massive store (or even worse, being tied up for years doing land assembly). While I'm generally not a fan of Big Box development, I welcome Ikea's arrival, and recognize the fact that in this circumstance, big box is the way to go...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 8:05 PM

The accompanying "super regional retailer" partners will also be an overall good thing for Winnipeg. Its going to be a big, sprawling, car-oriented development, but that just the nature of a beast like this.

Residential development and establishing large livable neighborhoods downtown, in the exchange, and along waterfront won't depend on where Ikea locates itself. Furthermore, the kinds of stores going in the Ikea development would probably never locate downtown anyways.

As for the traffic concerns, I don't think we'll really see major problems until the full development builds out. When IKEA was added to South Coquitlam about five years ago, there was all sorts of angst about the traffic problems apt to follow... the main one being traffic turning left out of the store onto Lougheed Highway. Those issues seem to have been resolved, and I have no doubt that any resulting squeeky wheels (traffic-wise) will get some grease here too.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post

Exactly

Idealistically, it would be nice. Idealistically, this could encompass some sort of deviation to the IKEA design. Perhaps slightly outside downtown? Perhaps IKEA would idealistically incorporate a design in a tower and add the mixed use condos etc... (the following development that comes with the IKEA) downtown as well? This is all ideal. In this sense I would be for it. But its not realistic.

I understand that, and, I would much rather some nice residential tower downtown vs a big box store.

But my ultimate point was IKEA is good for the city, vs if there was no IKEA, plus it adds to development in an area where there is land, and still opportunity to grow. Imo the IKEA is logistically well placed. The region its in is close to Polo Park, close to the south, near river heights & tuxedo, and its at what is (& is going to [more so] be) a major intersection for that area.

Now if only we could find a way to reduce a few of these damn traffic lights....

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 8:47 PM

Drove by the site over the weekend and they now have a large sign up stating construction to begin in 2011 and opening in fall 2012.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Drove by the site over the weekend and they now have a large sign up stating construction to begin in 2011 and opening in fall 2012.
A lovely blinding yellow sign. It actually hurts your eyes while waiting at the light.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan