HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 3:49 AM

Sacramento - Downtown - Riverfront

Sacramento is the 35th largest city in the United States by population (478,000) and is the largest city of the Sacramento-Roseville Combined Statistical Area in Northern California (the 22nd largest metro area in the United States). It is the capital city of California. Its downtown adjoins the Sacramento River and is dominated by the Capitol Mall which leads to the Capitol building. The area's orderly grid street system is developed most densely just North of the Capitol building, and government buildings are scattered throughout. A considerable amount of historic buildings coexist with modern ones in what is a mostly pleasant (if not lively) downtown.

This thread will focus on the Sacramento riverfront adjacent to downtown, as well as Old Sacramento. The historic era thread will focus on buildings up to the Art Deco period in the larger part of downtown away from the riverfront and can be seen here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=211450 The modern era thread will focus on buildings from the International Style to the present in the larger part of downtown, away from the riverfront, and can be seen here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=211473

Sacramento River Water Intake Facility:
Just North of the downtown riverfront is this attractive utility structure that was designed for public access.

View South on the Sacramento River:
Downtown is on the left, West Sacramento is on the right.

I Street Bridge, 1911:
The upper level is for automobiles and the lower level is for rail, including Amtrak as it travels to the San Francisco Bay area.

River Walk Park:
This promenade is actually in the city of West Sacramento, just across the Sacramento River from downtown. A few large office buildings front the park, including the CalSTRS (California State Teachers' Retirement System) headquarters from 2009 and the Ziggurat Building from 1998.

Tower Bridge, 1935:
This vertical lift bridge carries automobile and pedestrian traffic across the Sacramento River from West Sacramento to downtown where it forms one end of the Capitol Mall.

Riverfront Promenade:
A path leads South from Tower Bridge on the downtown side of the river; its finished development ends with a small park with a modern shade structure about 1/3 of a mile away, while the unpaved path continues South out of the downtown area. A parallel train track runs along its length for historic railroad excursions that originate at Old Sacramento, featured later in this thread.

Old Sacramento Riverfront:
North of Tower Bridge is a riverfront composed of pleasure boat docks, a boardwalk, a few restaurants, a permanently-moored riverboat hotel, and recreated/rebuilt historic railroad buildings that serve as the boarding point for historic railroad excursions that travel in the area.

California State Railroad Museum, 1981:
One of the jewels of the city is this respected institution that is brimming with historic railroad engines and cars presented in a modern building that emulates utilitarian buildings including an operational roundhouse with a turntable. It is located on the edge of Old Sacramento and it operates the historic excursion train rides mentioned earlier. Its location in the city makes sense since Sacramento was on the route of the First Transcontinental Railroad completed in 1869.

Old Sacramento:
This area of downtown is composed of about 10 blocks that are next to the river and it is the city's major tourist center in addition to the Capitol building. It is separated from the rest of downtown by a wide major freeway overpass. Old Sacramento is a National Historic Landmark District, and some of it is also a California State Historic Park as well. Many of the buildings are historic ones from the mid-to-late 1800's; those that are not are mostly accurate recreations. The area was neglected for decades until the 1960's when restoration commenced, including relocating buildings that originally were elsewhere in the area. This area was the Western terminus of the Pony Express

All photos taken in 2013 by geomorph.

Last edited by geomorph; May 24, 2014 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:01 AM

Thanks for sharing!! Very nice pics!

I'll be glad to see the Old part of town again when you'll get to upload the next set of pics... it's absolutely gorgeous.

I also happen to love Sunbelt-style office buildings of the '90s... That ziggurat is really cool.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:02 AM

Hot damn, now I'm really homesick. Don't think I've been to the Railroad Museum since I was in elementary school. Keep it coming.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 5:40 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Very nice , i'll have to add Sacramento to my list of cities id like to visit.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 7:27 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

A distinguished forumer and his cat lived in the white building on the left of the last photo.

Nice pics. Old Sacramento is definitely tourist- and festival-oriented, but it's also an architecturally intersting time capsule from some 165 years ago. And it's unique, because buildings of that era were destroyed in San Francisco and Oakland due to earthquakes, fires, and to a lesser degree redevelopment.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 2:19 PM
Community Guy

Fantastic set... Sacramento added to travel list.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 6:15 PM

Wow, the Old Town pics are up now!

That's really a fantastic time capsule... (Needless to say, especially so during those times they cover the streets with dirt and ban cars for a while... that's actually a yearly event, right?)

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 3:39 AM

Great pictures! I'm glad you made it to Sacramento! I'm looking forward to your other Sacramento threads!

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 5:36 PM

ThatDarnSacramentan, this thread is for you! I'm glad you saw it, I was inspired by your threads of Sacramento to go there on a few weekends at this time last year since I hadn't been there since 1999. It has taken me far too long to post them, as usual.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos