HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
In Chicago I saw a Mexican guy eating carne asada last week.

So we still have some left too
Didn't Latinos recently become Chicago's largest minority group? Mexican immigration was still going strong in Chicagoland until the 90s, wasn't it? I guess immigration from Mexico itself mostly stopped, and it's mostly the kids of immigrants now?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:12 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
The other day I saw a Mexican eating pad see ew.
See now, that's some serious fusion right there

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:34 AM

Quote:
See now, that's some serious fusion right there
Oh yes. But you see that everywhere here. Like Desi-Chinese food.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Indian-style Chinese food is also pretty popular in the Toronto area, where it's called "Hakka" food.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:29 AM

Quote:
I think there's also a difference in terms of a fusion food that was created when the fusion itself was created in the American city in question (or created by immigrants after immigrating to the new place) like Korean tacos in LA, or the California roll with avocado to begin with.

By contrast things like Desi Chinese cuisine or Cuban Chinese cuisine involved the fusion itself being the creation of a community in another country (like the Chinese in Calcutta or Havana), and the cuisine itself was then carried to the US.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
orlando's kind of impressive here too, with higher numbers than bigger places like seattle and atlanta (and almost double its neighbor of tampa)
Orlando is super-impressive, IMO.

And this isn't even counting the fact that it's now the #1 metro for Puerto Rican in-migration (yeah, I know they aren't immigrants, technically, but it's the same thing in terms of a unique "foreign" culture/language/lifestyle).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
2017 immigration stats for select Canadian CMAs:

Toronto: 86,525
Montreal: 44,615
Vancouver: 29,875
Calgary: 17,895
Edmonton: 15,925
Winnipeg: 11,835
Ottawa: 8,705
Saskatoon: 5,940
Regina: 5,300
Halifax: 3,745

Stats Canada, Permanent Residents – Monthly IRCC Updates
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...open-data.html
It's amazing that Canada hasn't developed much of a nationalist backlash, given they're getting like 3-4x the per capita immigration flow of the U.S.

Are Canadians just more tolerant and less likely to be suckered by con-men? Or perhaps it's that they're mostly Asian (Asian immigration to U.S. is also a non-issue)? Or maybe it hasn't happened yet? I mean, Rob Ford was basically a Trump, and his brother could win the Ontario Premiership, I think.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 12:20 PM

bad numbers for chicago no matter how you slice it

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 12:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It's amazing that Canada hasn't developed much of a nationalist backlash, given they're getting like 3-4x the per capita immigration flow of the U.S.

Are Canadians just more tolerant and less likely to be suckered by con-men? Or perhaps it's that they're mostly Asian (Asian immigration to U.S. is also a non-issue)? Or maybe it hasn't happened yet? I mean, Rob Ford was basically a Trump, and his brother could win the Ontario Premiership, I think.
Canada may indeed simply be a lagging indicator in terms of nationalist backlash (we often are for such things) but I don't think that Doug Ford is to be any type of harbinger for this.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:24 PM
BANNED

I think Canada has heretofore done a good job of not insisting that people that aren't super progressive are right leaning, which goes a long way in stamping down far right movements in and of itself.

Also, who doesn't think/know that DC is incredibly diverse?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Indian-style Chinese food is also pretty popular in the Toronto area, where it's called "Hakka" food.
After eating Hakka food, you feel like doing this:
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Indian style Chinese food is available everywhere, really. That is not some sort of new fusion concept. It is decades old, if it older, and began in the "old country".

China and India are neighbors, after all.

There is nothing more bizarre than seeing a Chinese restaurant owner in India opening up his mouth--and out comes Hindi!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:20 PM
BANNED

East Asians speaking with a Southern drawl was closely up there to me for awhile, although in the last ten years I've met quite a few.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Indian style Chinese food is available everywhere, really. That is not some sort of new fusion concept. It is decades old, if it older, and began in the "old country".

China and India are neighbors, after all.
Hehehe it's funny that a couple of you guys are remarking on my Desi-Chinese food comment. I was merely continuing your (what I presumed to be) "tongue-in-cheek" comment of a Mexican guy eating pad see ew as being fusion... because in reality Mexicans do eat other things besides carne asada. So I threw out the Desi-Chinese food comment. I didn't mean it to somehow mean that that was unique to LA, I presume that Desi-Chinese would be available in a lot of areas, just like southern Indian food would be... but as an aside, it seems to me that the people I talk to who "like to go out for Indian food" once in a while always get the same things like chicken tikka masala (hehe) and samosas. Anyway...

Quote:
There is nothing more bizarre than seeing a Chinese restaurant owner in India opening up his mouth--and out comes Hindi!
You know what would be more bizarre? Hearing a Chinese restaurant owner speaking Malayalam!

Seriously though, I know what you mean. Quite a number of Peruvian restaurants in Los Angeles are run/owned by Japanese, and even Chinese people, from Peru, who are fluent in Spanish and/or speak it as their first language, and have names like Mario or Jorge.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:43 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The best rated eggrolls here in town a few years back (by Houston Press) were from a Chinese joint run by Mexicans.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
I think Canada has heretofore done a good job of not insisting that people that aren't super progressive are right leaning, which goes a long way in stamping down far right movements in and of itself.

Also, who doesn't think/know that DC is incredibly diverse?
As a Canadian, I am not really feeling this (highlighted). Unless I am reading this wrong.

Care to elaborate?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:03 PM

At least on CBC, the idea that Canada is anything but a comfortable multicultural mecca, is kinda laughable.

CBC News is always focused on "the Syrian refugee hockey team in Mississauga" and the like. Very earnest messaging of "there is no issue here, folks".

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
At least on CBC, the idea that Canada is anything but a comfortable multicultural mecca, is kinda laughable.

CBC News is always focused on "the Syrian refugee hockey team in Mississauga" and the like. Very earnest messaging of "there is no issue here, folks".
That's the Canada I am more familiar with.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:18 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As a Canadian, I am not really feeling this (highlighted). Unless I am reading this wrong.

Care to elaborate?
Yeah, this isn't consistent with my experience at all. I think that social conservatism is much more taboo in Canada than it is in the United States. Not to say that there aren't social conservatives here (especially among some recent immigrant communities), but it seems remain mostly private. Our political parties, for the most part, do not pander to social conservatism. There are no remotely mainstream social conservative media or news outlets.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:18 PM
Khan

Quote:

Yup. That's it in a nutshell.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions