HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 6:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Went to Orange Corner in Station Square, which is quite new. Not bad... wouldn't recommend their crepes though...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 6:33 AM

Bubble World in Metrotown on Kingsway is pretty good, but it is always really busy, and it is open late, i think 1 or 2 am even on weeknights. I also always liked Pearl Fever in Coquitlam. It seems every mall has bubble tea now, even SFU Burnaby has bubble tea on campus, every town center has a handful (that are not in malls) and they seem to be springing up near high schools like mad (i know one just opened in Maple Ridge just opened near my old high school). This has always led me to wonder, is bubble tea this common in every major city in North America or is Vancouver abnormal in this respect (outsdie of Taiwan of course). because even in Japan bubble tea was hard to find (i found 1 in Kyoto and 1 Osaka).

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 6:36 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'd wager that Seattle, SF and LA all have a significant bubble tea presence. You can find it everywhere in Shanghai.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 6:45 AM

I was guessing it would be along the lines of wherever a major Taiwanese population or influence existed, but Bubble Tea has become more than just a "Taiwanese" or an "Asian" drink in Metro-Vancouver, it is now becoming like sushi (just maybe 10 years behind) where it is becoming part of the Vancouver culture and identity. So while it is a safe bet that these is bubble tea in Seattle, San Francisco, Toronto, etc... what i wonder is if it is up to the same high per capita ratio that we have. Again, it could be just like sushi, in many places, but in Vancouver its presence is abnormally high, for there are more sushi restaurants in Vancouver than fast food burger places. If you don't believe that, just start walking around and noting all the sushi places throughout the city, so many they have now just faded into the woodwork, even 7-11 and Shoppers Drug Mart sells sushi! I really do feel the same has started to happen to bubble tea as well.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:01 AM

I see what you mean. Vancouver definitely has embraced bubble tea and made it it's own. When I was back, I noticed a plethora of flavours that I've never seen in Taiwan, HK or China.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I'd wager that Seattle, SF and LA all have a significant bubble tea presence. You can find it everywhere in Shanghai.
I didn't see any in LA or SF when I was there, unless I was in a place like Richmond.

Vancouver on the hand you can pretty much find it anywhere around the Central City, but arguably it's because of the 40% + Asian population.

That being said, a lot of the bubble tea places in China are really bad. The pearls are usually poorly made and the selection is pretty crappy usually.

The funny thing is that there are a lot of Juice Bars that don't have bubbles ready on the side, expensive drinks for a regular Chinese person thou. I think I spent 3-4 dollars CAD for juice over there. It was worth it thou, they sweetened all the drinks with fresh pressed sugar cane.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:29 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggab View Post
I didn't see any in LA or SF when I was there, unless I was in a place like Richmond.

Vancouver on the hand you can pretty much find it anywhere around the Central City, but arguably it's because of the 40% + Asian population.

That being said, a lot of the bubble tea places in China are really bad. The pearls are usually poorly made and the selection is pretty crappy usually.

The funny thing is that there are a lot of Juice Bars that don't have bubbles ready on the side, expensive drinks for a regular Chinese person thou. I think I spent 3-4 dollars CAD for juice over there. It was worth it thou, they sweetened all the drinks with fresh pressed sugar cane.
Poor in China perhaps, but bubble tea came from Taiwan. I'd imagine that it's up to snuff, though I've never had Taiwanese bubble tea.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggab View Post

It depends where you go (in SH at least). In the last three years, dozens and dozens of Taiwanese owned and operated bubble tea shops have opened up here. They range from good to excellent. I wouldn't know about the locally run bubble tea shops as I never ever go to them anymore. Most of them (while cheap) were/are putrid.

If I've learned anything while living in China, it's that you shouldn't be a cheapskate when it comes to food and drink. You'll pay for it in the end

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 3:47 PM
victory in near

Have you guys ever heard of beer? Say no to the gelatinous tapioca pearls and come join me for some hops and barley. Your life will change forever.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 4:46 PM

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
Have you guys ever heard of beer? Say no to the gelatinous tapioca pearls and come join me for some hops and barley. Your life will change forever.
LOL.

I remember back in 1998 when Bubble Tea was all the craze in Vancouver, I talked to people in San Francisco, Sacremento, Los Angeles, NONE of them knew what this bubble tea thing was all about.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 8:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Really? For some reason I would think San Francisco would have caught the trend earlier...

Anyway in the states it's not referred to as bubble tea, more like boba tea, similar to like in Hong Kong it's called "jun juu lai cha" not "boh bah lai cha"

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 5:53 PM

I used to go to a great bubble tea cafe at the UBC village. I assume it's still there, can anyone confirm? The lychee flavour slush with pearls was a good flavour

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 6:00 PM

If you're talking about Pearl Fever, then yes. There's also a new tea cafe in the UBC Village called Well Tea. I'm still only a fan of the bubble tea at the SUB though (Little Tea House), and don't find the bubble tea in the village very appealing.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 6:37 PM

What other authentic Taiwanese places are around town?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 8:21 PM

There's a Taiwanese BBT place in Richmond called "Pearl Castle" - I've been there a few times, and it's pretty good =] There's also a fusion restaurant, Taiwanese-HK style cafe restaurant in Vancouver (on Granville St) called Flo Tea Room. Ambiance is nice, they have decent prices (combo meals), I love it there. I go there often. Try it out, if your near the area. There's also a place in Richmond called Estea, not a bad place, but their service can often be disappointing.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 10:52 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Pearl Castle is okay.

Twinkle Twinkle is also a cute place.

I haven't tried Flo before so I really want to try it.

I don't like Estea =P

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 11:55 PM

I hate Flo and I discourage people from going there. Service sucks and I find that they can never get our orders right.

I really enjoy Pearl Castle but I like the Port Coquitlam location more than the Richmond one.

I would also try out 'Beef Noodle House' on Granville and 70th (?) or Cabin 555 in Kerrisdale.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 12:13 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Really? For some reason I would think San Francisco would have caught the trend earlier...

Anyway in the states it's not referred to as bubble tea, more like boba tea, similar to like in Hong Kong it's called "jun juu lai cha" not "boh bah lai cha"
^ You know what? In Taiwan, they actually use both terms for Bubble Tea!!

Anyways, I love bubble tea and I like the ones in Bubble World.
They have a store in Surrey (close to Gulidford) and another one in Burnaby (close to Telus building)

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Bubble World in Metrotown on Kingsway is pretty good, but it is always really busy, and it is open late, i think 1 or 2 am even on weeknights. I also always liked Pearl Fever in Coquitlam. It seems every mall has bubble tea now, even SFU Burnaby has bubble tea on campus, every town center has a handful (that are not in malls) and they seem to be springing up near high schools like mad (i know one just opened in Maple Ridge just opened near my old high school). This has always led me to wonder, is bubble tea this common in every major city in North America or is Vancouver abnormal in this respect (outsdie of Taiwan of course). because even in Japan bubble tea was hard to find (i found 1 in Kyoto and 1 Osaka).
There actually IS one inside Lougheed Mall and I think there was also one inside Coquitlam Centre by the food court.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining