HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 7:34 AM

SkyTrain-friendly restaurant suggestions

With the Canada Line now open I am curious to learn what worthwhile restaurants are near the stations. How about recommendations for the SkyTrain Classic lines too?

Any suggestions?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
With the Canada Line now open I am curious to learn what worthwhile restaurants are near the stations. How about recommendations for the SkyTrain Classic lines too?

Any suggestions?
My list will be extensively Asian/HK/Taiwanese because the ones near Yaletown should be well known enough. They're not all MY choices but places I have heard some people like:

Near King Ed station:
- Corner 23 (@ Cambie and 23rd)
- Gloucester Cafe (Cambie and 18th I think)

Off Aberdeen station:
- Yaohan Centre food court
- Aberdeen Shopping Mall food court

Bridgeport STation:
- a whole bunch, can't think of names right now (so useful I know)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 7:49 AM

Well, this isn't really on topic, but if there was a Beard Papa located in a Canada Line station (or just outside it), I think it would do SO well. When I was in HK, I would often get off at a metro station that had one, where I could chomp down on a few of these heavenly morsels before getting back on the train.

First thing that comes to mind for me regarding restaurants and the new subway line is Food Street in Richmond. I rarely go to Richmond but this will make it alot easier to get there.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 7:53 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Around Lansdowne, there's Alexander Rd, north of Alderbridge, which is what I call "eatery street" in Cantonese.

Oakridge-41st has that Samuari Sushi House, famous for cheaper prices and huge portions.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 7:54 AM

Good thread idea. I can think of two near Broadway/City Hall.

Pho Kim Penh Xe Lua just west of Broadway and Cambie is open 24/7 if you crave cheap pho, banh mi, and smoothies. Not the classiest place, but it's great for what it is.

There's also a Solly's at Yukon and 7th for great bagels, cinnamon buns, and deli food - it's by far the closest one to rapid transit. Their breakfast bagels are amazing.

Last edited by quobobo; Aug 22, 2009 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 8:04 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Sha-Lin Noodle House is less than a block west of Broadway-City Hall Station. They have the best noodles I have ever had.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
Well, this isn't really on topic, but if there was a Beard Papa located in a Canada Line station (or just outside it), I think it would do SO well. When I was in HK, I would often get off at a metro station that had one, where I could chomp down on a few of these heavenly morsels before getting back on the train.

First thing that comes to mind for me regarding restaurants and the new subway line is Food Street in Richmond. I rarely go to Richmond but this will make it alot easier to get there.
there is a beard papa in aberdeen centre isn't there?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 8:45 PM

^^^yep, in the food court

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 9:16 PM

Awesome thread!!

Agree about the gloucester (broadway), but mind you it is a 'comfort food for chinese ppl' place. It's ordinary-looking, but has a mixture of chinese/ chinese-western foods that are inexpensive and done reasonably well.

Also agree about sha-lin (broadway) - noodles and food from northern china. try the lamb kebabs.

Agree about Alexander Road - many restos. My fave is one that looks like a bavarian coffee house on the inside (wood paneling, the whole works, an asian resto that gives a romatic view of europe)

One that hasn't been mentioned - Globe@YVR - they used to have binoculars at the tables to view the airport. a nice place to get a coffee and a desert and planewatch...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 9:42 PM

i like original joes on broadway across from the station....

you get huge portions and its quite cheap

theres also mongoli grill

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 2:31 AM
testify

funny, i have this suspicion that original joe's is a canadian copy-cat of this sf hard core dive joint that burned down a few months ago:
http://www.originaljoessf.com/
i've been going there for years, but i only ever ordered drinks because if you tipped okay, they'd really sauce you up.

as for the restaurants, its' too bad afghan horsemen cleared out otherwise that would be a good one at city hall.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
My list will be extensively Asian/HK/Taiwanese because...

Bridgeport STation:
- a whole bunch, can't think of names right now (so useful I know)
Bridgeport Station? I don't recall there being any restaurants around there at all aside from the ones inside River Rock (And they're really crummy for a hotel restaurant at that).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 4:45 AM

Harvey's @ YVR!

Ron.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
as for the restaurants, its' too bad afghan horsemen cleared out otherwise that would be a good one at city hall.
Seconded. Kind of far now, but it's still worth the walk from Olympic Village.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Agree about Alexander Road - many restos. My fave is one that looks like a bavarian coffee house on the inside (wood paneling, the whole works, an asian resto that gives a romatic view of europe)
went there today - it's called leisure coffee and tea. mind you it is an aisian take on europe, so some might find it kitchy, although I myself enjoyed the 1980's pop ballads they had in the background...

Last edited by mezzanine; Aug 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 1:07 AM

Has anyone eaten at Stella's in Cambie Village? If so, is it good?

It looks like a neat place, but I haven't eaten there. Thought I might take the Canada Line out and try it sometime . . . was the first thought I had when thinking of places to go, as I always notice it when I drive by.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 3:00 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
Pho Kim Penh Xe Lua just west of Broadway and Cambie is open 24/7 if you crave cheap pho, banh mi, and smoothies. Not the classiest place, but it's great for what it is.
This is the first trek I made on the Canada Line. I was looking for a reason to use it and was craving pho. It really hit the spot. The only problem was that I'd only been there once before and I forgot that they only take cash. I only had some American money in my wallet from a recent trip to Seattle but they didn't seem to have a problem with it, especially since I was so embarrassed about it that I just let them keep the change for a nice big American tip.

A couple friends of mine took me to a good dim sum place just by Aberdeen (across No.3 from Yaohan Centre). It has "seafood" in the name but I forget the rest. It looks kind of dumpy from the outside but is actually quite nice on the inside. The prices were quite reasonable and luckily the menu had lots of pictures, otherwise I probably wouldn't really know what I was ordering for the most part.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 3:05 AM
Site 8 Lives

Menya Japanese Noodle, at Cambie and Yukon, is a 2 minute walk from the City Hall - and is my favourite ramen spot in Metro Vancouver. Check it out:

http://www.menya.ca/

Beard Papa's at Aberdeen has ridiculous line-ups, so you're better off checking out the rest of the Aberdeen foodcourt and visiting Beard Papa at English Bay instead.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 3:11 AM

There's a Beard Papa at City Square as well, the lineups aren't too bad and it's close to Broadway/City Hall.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 3:11 AM
Site 8 Lives

I haven't been, but Zen Fine Chinese Cuisine was dubbed by a New York Times writer last year as the greatest Chinese restaurant in the world outside of China. Astonishing but true, considering most folks have never heard of the place.

It's on Alexandra Road, apparently, near the Lansdowne Canada Line stop. Can any forumers confirm if it's still there?

This will likely be my first culinary trip on the Canada Line:
http://zencuisine.ca/

Last edited by Rusty Gull; Aug 24, 2009 at 3:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining