HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Drake in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:28 AM
I am the law!

It's decent from an urban design standpoint however, the architecture is pretty crap even for average infill. The tower like something built in North York Centre or Mississauga five years ago not that design has taken off in either of these centres. Liberty's masterplanned Thornhill City Centre comes to mind as well.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:35 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Yeah but when much of the views calgary look like this

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...19.97,,0,-4.21

Drake looks pretty damned good.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's decent from an urban design standpoint however, the architecture is pretty crap even for average infill. The tower like something built in North York Centre or Mississauga five years ago not that design has taken off in either of these centres. Liberty's masterplanned Thornhill City Centre comes to mind as well.
As a prospective architecture student, I'm curious as to what you would change about it?

I personally would change the podium, make it 4-5 stories, make it more open to the street, i.e. take away the fence and foliage, the tower does lack an any distinctive or indelible characteristics, but I don't think that's an issue given the area and budget.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:22 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elconsulto View Post
As a prospective architecture student, I'm curious as to what you would change about it?

I personally would change the podium, make it 4-5 stories, make it more open to the street, i.e. take away the fence and foliage, the tower does lack an any distinctive or indelible characteristics, but I don't think that's an issue given the area and budget.
Ah, architecture students, making completely uneconomic decisions since 1940. No offence, but tearing down a 3 storey apartment and replacing it with a 4-5 storey building will never be economical. The land value in the Beltline pretty much dictates that any infill will have to be a fairly substantial size.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:23 AM
Khan

^ I presume he was referring specifically to the podium.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Ah, architecture students, making completely uneconomic decisions since 1940. No offence, but tearing down a 3 storey apartment and replacing it with a 4-5 storey building will never be economical. The land value in the Beltline pretty much dictates that any infill will have to be a fairly substantial size.
By "Make it 4-5 stories" I actually meant "change the number of floors of the podium", not the height of the tower itself.

The tower on the left is roughly the same height as this project, but has more floors devoted to the podium (i'm sure you've read about this). I think this is a better look for 17th Ave.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:00 PM
I am the law!

Quote:

It's not a long podium and perhaps the townhouse make more sense here than a four to five storey street wall. My biggest beef is the massing which takes on the shape of a pitched roof. It just comes across as suburban whether this style with a centre point is or isn't. The tower body is pretty boring as well. Lotsa precast with some glass window-wall gestures on the corners.

I'm also amused by the sentiment, " It's pretty good infill" as I would say the best stylistically and by built form in Toronto over this boom has being from "infill" rather than these 400 unit, defining towers sprouting up throughout the city.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 2:56 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
By "Make it 4-5 stories" I actually meant "change the number of floors of the podium", not the height of the tower itself.
I see. Apologies.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:27 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I have a radical new urban design idea, buildings that are just podium. Imagine coming home to 4-5 floors of podium...awesome.

Your friends come over:

"Hey Bigtime, what's on top of the podium?"

"Nothing."

"My mind is blown!"

I'm patenting this idea, nobody steal it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:31 PM
Khan

^ You and Baron Haussman will have to fight it out in the French courts I'm afraid.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:55 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Damn!

Ok, everyone send me $5000 bucks to help with the legal fight.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 5:41 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
^ You and Baron Haussman will have to fight it out in the French courts I'm afraid.
But Haussman still has monopoly on demolishing entire neighbourhoods to build block upon block of perimeter block buildings. All so the army could move easily through the city.

At least Cerda (Barcelona) didn't demolish the existing city- he just built the perimeter block grid around it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Drake is on a fairly small space of land. It's not like the other picture you've posted with a huge frontage where the podium can run across between 2 towers.

The podium here is 2 level townhomes, so the fence and foliage is for their benefit in privacy/security.
Keep in mind,this is on 15th Ave, not 17th. The podium needs to have a more residential feeling, that a 4-5 story podium would overdue for that street.
It would feel like a giant condo wall beside you as you walked along 7th St, or visited the heritage homes across the street.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 187 Feet Tall View Post
Drake is on a fairly small space of land. It's not like the other picture you've posted with a huge frontage where the podium can run across between 2 towers.

The podium here is 2 level townhomes, so the fence and foliage is for their benefit in privacy/security.
Keep in mind,this is on 15th Ave, not 17th. The podium needs to have a more residential feeling, that a 4-5 story podium would overdue for that street.
It would feel like a giant condo wall beside you as you walked along 7th St, or visited the heritage homes across the street.
This makes sense. It would probably be wise of you to ignore my posts - if you're looking for an educated opinion for your work, I'm possibly the least knowledgeable individual here

I just come here for all of the pretty pictures.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 11:28 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Went into the sales centre yesterday. They have some pretty creative layouts. They found some miraculous way to make 517 sqaure feet not seem cramped. The sales guy said they are at 25% sold already, not bad for 2 months on the market.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 9:19 PM

$1000 Referral Fee

We're starting a new $1000 referral program.
I know some members from here have come by, so thought I should mention it here.
If you refer someone who buys a home at Drake, they'll get a $1000 credit on their price and you'll get $1000 cash.

You don't need to be a buyer to get the referral fee, just need to tell your friends. Easy $1000 if you have friends looking for a condo and think Drake is a good option for them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates