HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 5:59 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yeah..... it's true...
And we have quite a number of children in our building. The younger the more they love it actually
It's especially true if they've never known anything different. The attitude of the parents is definitely the primary influence on the kids.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2015, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post

Kids dig cities. Freaked out parents think that kids want lawns in sterile suburbs far away from the action, but kids dig action. The only thing kids like more, from my own personal experience, is a rural place where they can spend hours playing in creeks and woods and meadows.
Right on. I've also found this to be true for kids of all ages.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2015, 4:01 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Yes! What a welcome change, and a sign of a maturing downtown, to have children living there. I've had the privilege of knowing two families whose children grew up in a mix of skyscrapers and car-dependent gated communities (eg., Rob Roy on The Lake.) In one case, the kids had spent a few years in Manhattan (not the one in KS) and they absolutely LOVED it. In the other case, the kids lived in... oh, yeah, Manhattan (the one sometimes simply referred to as NYC, same as above), and they LOVED it.

Kids dig cities. Freaked out parents think that kids want lawns in sterile suburbs far away from the action, but kids dig action. The only thing kids like more, from my own personal experience, is a rural place where they can spend hours playing in creeks and woods and meadows.

Downtown and the country have this in common, they are both rich complex environments that hold a child's interest. They're full of wonder and surprise. Suburbs are stale, predictable, simple, controlled, controlling environments that make kids want to spend all day staring at screens, where they can get a virtual taste of the unpredictability and chaos that make life beautiful. Death to suburbia!
You wanna know something crazy? I grew up in the same neighborhood my parents did and even went to the same high school my parents did and most of my aunts and uncles. They grew up next door to each other and bought the house my dad's family lived in after my grandfather passed away in '83. When they grew up in this neighborhood in the 60s, it was out in the country. It was the last (first) subdivision this far south. There was nothing around for miles and they played in the fields and woods around the neighborhood. Now of course it's all built up and is in the middle of South Austin. The field where they played and ran from bulls is now a psychiatric hospital. That place opened up there in the late 70s and was bought out a few years ago. They tore it down and rebuilt it and also sold off part of it. That subdivided part is now being developed with townhomes, and it's such a crazy thing seeing lights on back there in windows and streetlights. Anyway, I ride my bike down the same streets my parents did as kids. They had their fun, and we had our's as kids. I also loved going downtown and treating the Capitol grounds as our playground. There was always a lot to see, and it no doubt encouraged my interest in everything urban.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 7:57 PM

And we have a name. Third and Shoal.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...CB0003&LL=true

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
And we have a name. Third and Shoal.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...CB0003&LL=true
Nice. It's class A "Trophy" office space.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 8:40 PM

From AusTXDevelopment's link:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 8:52 PM
Meh

Meh. It looks like something they'd tear down in New York so they could build something nice.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Meh. It looks like something they'd tear down in New York so they could build something nice.
But the landscaped setbacks and patios on the creek side are a nice touch. And it's not blue!
The views will be blocked for a lot of Austin Proper residents. I doubt the developers of Austin Proper were expecting that considering the timing and somewhat surprising re-development of the Austin Music Hall site.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 9:22 PM

I sort of like the color. As usual, wish it was 10 stories taller with a much smaller waistline.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 9:39 PM

grossssssssss

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 10:03 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I really like it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 10:19 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The views will be blocked for a lot of Austin Proper residents. I doubt the developers of Austin Proper were expecting that considering the timing and somewhat surprising re-development of the Austin Music Hall site.
Not really. The units with north facing widows will also have windows facing in other directions.

This is an urban environment. Buildings will be built and some may block a view or two. Thus, buyer beware regarding projects and specific units.

Yes, the KOR & Trammell (developers of Austin Proper) knew this was coming. Furthermore, the redevelopment of the AMH site has been in discussion for a few years...amongst insiders at least.

As with several of you...I am not a fan of this lame, uninspiring, lazy design. Also, does it seem that it was not required to have the same level of setbacks as Austin Proper?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 10:56 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Eh. At least it's not blue?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 11:07 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
But it is blue, y'all, just a very pale and light shade of blue.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 11:20 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

First pic, I can sort of see some blue, I guess. Second pic, it looks more green.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
First pic, I can sort of see some blue, I guess. Second pic, it looks more green.
It's because it's a very light shade of teal.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 11:34 PM

I don't know, it could have been worse. I like that it has some setbacks and it isn't a complete rectangle. The outdoor terraces look nice too. It looks bluer in the first rendering, but if the glass has more of a green tint then it'll set it apart some.

Once again, it brings me back to the height and it's not because I'm obsessed with tall buildings or anything, I just think this area needs way more diversity. Between Northshore, Proper, Google Tower and this one, we're looking at 4 towers all around 400 ft.

I think the next big step for Austin is for it to become home to a signature tower. The Independent had a chance to be this, but it will only be 2 feet taller than the Austonian. When you look at world class cities, they all have one tower that seems to rise above the rest and serve as a focal point (The Austonian is sort of like this now, but won't be once the Independent rises). Chicago has the Willis Tower (Sears), New York City has World Trade Center One, etc.

My hope is that block 185 really does become Facebook's signature tower. Why not even make it mixed use, and have a residential component. I'm talking about a truly unique design right along the lake front that would break the height monotony of the current Greenwater design.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
From AusTXDevelopment's link:

This photo/view specifically is giving me Spring vibes. I don't hate it at all

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 1:18 AM

They could have given the residents of Proper a better wall to look at.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 1:40 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Trophy tower...? In what universe?

If the color is more green than blue then that will be the only thing going for it.

With those recent renderings it's all the more clear just how horribly flat and boxy that 2 block area will be and the fact that Austin Proper will roughly be the same height is not going to help it stand out at all, in fact I think 3rd & Shoal will detract from Austin Proper's design. It's just all going to blend together like one giant bulky box. The city should really push for better designed towers and more incentive to build taller. It's ridiculous that the majority of these towers are in the 380-480 foot range.

The only consolation is that these buildings will be completely out of view from I35.

Funny observation. Seems to be a lot of people out on the balconies for an office building. There's lounge chairs and everything. Guess those are for the executives who want to work on their tan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin