HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:41 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandage View Post
Which Quebec communities are the most Anglo?
The municipalities that had more than 80% of native english speakers at the 2011 census were ;

in the Pontiac :
Sheenboro
Chichester
Shawville / Clarendon

Strait of Belle Isle area :
Gros-Mécatina
Saint-Augustin
Bonne-Espérance
(all just south-west from Blanc-Sablon)
(communities : Old Fort, Harrington Harbour, Mutton Bay, etc.)

Many other places had between 50 to 80 % of native english speakers.
6-7 municipalities around the West Island, 5 in the Eastern Townships, 2 in the Southwestern Townships (Montérégie South), and 12 in the Pontiac / Gatineau Valley area.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 7:48 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Oh, what about Moose Jaw and Regina (or was that mentioned already)?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:25 AM

A number of very anglo majority places I remember visiting in Quebec are in the Eastern Townships:

Lennoxville (now part of Sherbrooke but really a town on its own)

North Hatley

Also some small places along the U.S. border

But those places still had sizeable francophone populations.

But for places that seemed to be almost entirely anglophone and not in the Pontiac:

Blanc Sablon and nearby towns on the border with Labrador and also a number of isolated communities along the North Shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence (I've only been to Blanc Sablon)

Entry Island and Grosse-Ile in the Magdalen Islands (been there)

But I just noticed the stats above and those ones definitely are the most anglo.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
It's hard to tell about Sturgeon Falls, to be honest. It's kind of stuck between Anglophone North Bay to the east and very Francophone rural areas to the west as you've alluded to.

I'd say that while 70% of Kapuskasing residents speak French, almost 100% of them speak English, so, it you're going to be greeted by a cashier/clerk or there's a person who doesn't speak French in the group, English will be the 'by default' language. Makes it seem more English than it really is.
I worked at a government job a few years ago where I had to travel to a number of the towns in Northeastern Ontario and deal with the public. I travelled with a francophone who made it obvious she spoke French to everyone and that clients were welcome to speak either language.

I can give rough numbers for what percentage of people chose to speak French when receiving government services. We kept data on this but I have to say these number are approximate over the years I did it. It involved mainly spoken service with little or no reading and writing. You wouldn't believe how many francophones told me that they found the French to be too formal with complicated words and terminologies and that it was easier just to do it in English.

Timmins: 8%

Iroquois Falls and Cochrane: 15%

Smooth Rock Falls: 45%

Kapuskasing: 40%

Hearst: 70%

I have to add that Hearst in the only place where you'll find lots of people who speak only French who aren't originally from Quebec. Although you don't see it much anymore with the younger generation.

Colleagues told me that Greater Sudbury is about 5% and West Nipissing (Sturgeon Falls and area) about 33%.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I worked at a government job a few years ago where I had to travel to a number of the towns in Northeastern Ontario and deal with the public. I travelled with a francophone who made it obvious she spoke French to everyone and that clients were welcome to speak either language.

I can give rough numbers for what percentage of people chose to speak French when receiving government services. We kept data on this but I have to say these number are approximate over the years I did it. It involved mainly spoken service with little or no reading and writing. You wouldn't believe how many francophones told me that they found the French to be too formal with complicated words and terminologies and that it was easier just to do it in English.

Timmins: 8%

Iroquois Falls and Cochrane: 15%

Smooth Rock Falls: 45%

Kapuskasing: 40%

Hearst: 70%

I have to add that Hearst in the only place where you'll find lots of people who speak only French who aren't originally from Quebec. Although you don't see it much anymore with the younger generation.

Colleagues told me that Greater Sudbury is about 5% and West Nipissing (Sturgeon Falls and area) about 33%.
Those numbers make perfect sense to me.

I'd expect the numbers for Hawkesbury in the east would be quite high if we had them. As high as Hearst or maybe higher. Percentages in Prescott-Russell would gradually decline as you move westwards in the direction of Ottawa. Note that none of the figures aren't even close to mirrorring the census' statistical percentages of francophones.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:57 PM
Moran supreme

So I come in here at the bottom of this thread and had to actually look at the thread's title a second time to verify that I had indeed clicked on the thread I had intended to.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
So I come in here at the bottom of this thread and had to actually look at the thread's title a second time to verify that I had indeed clicked on the thread I had intended to.

C'est la vie.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh yeah, I realize that. To use an example I am fond of today, Kap isn't the type of place where you'd normally see a francophone TV channel on the screen in a restaurant. Even if the population is majority francophone.
Wrong

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Wrong
Care to elaborate?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
Kapuskasing is a place where: a) you are likely to be greeted/served in french at most places, and b) TVs in common areas are generally set to French stations. Believe me, I know the place well.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
A

Entry Island and Grosse-Ile in the Magdalen Islands (been there)
I've never been to the Magdalen Islands, but I am very surprised to learn there are Anglophones there at all.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Kapuskasing is a place where: a) you are likely to be greeted/served in french at most places, and b) TVs in common areas are generally set to French stations. Believe me, I know the place well.
What makes you think I don't? My wife is from that area in fact.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
What makes you think I don't? My wife is from that area in fact.
Because you think people generally get served in English first. And you also believe they play English TV programming. That's why.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Because you think people generally get served in English first. And you also believe they play English TV programming. That's why.
And my point is that things still "default" to English in Kap. You generally need more than 65-70% francophones in order for community life to mainly default to French in Ontario. More like 80-85%.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I've never been to the Magdalen Islands, but I am very surprised to learn there are Anglophones there at all.
He is correct! There's at least one island that's totally Anglo. Île d'Entrée, IIRC. And it's pretty isolated from the main cluster of islands which are obviously francophone. (I haven't googled it, I figure I'd simply take Loco101's word, but it matches what I think I remember.)

I even met an Anglo Magdalener in the flesh several times: my gf's niece's bf (my gf and her niece are both are Anglos from Gaspé, and don't have that much of an age gap, BTW) was a pure Anglo from the Magdalen Islands, his whole family was still there; they met in Gaspé 'cause that's his local CÉGEP.

I used to be like you, didn't think there were any Anglos over there. I was wrong

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
He is correct! There's at least one island that's totally Anglo. Île d'Entrée, IIRC. And it's pretty isolated from the main cluster of islands which are obviously francophone. (I haven't googled it, I figure I'd simply take Loco101's word, but it matches what I think I remember.)

I even met an Anglo Magdalener in the flesh several times: my gf's niece's bf (my gf and her niece are both are Anglos from Gaspé, and don't have that much of an age gap, BTW) was a pure Anglo from the Magdalen Islands, his whole family was still there; they met in Gaspé 'cause that's his local CÉGEP.

I used to be like you, didn't think there were any Anglos over there. I was wrong
Entry Island (Ile-d'Entrée) is the only island that isn't connected to the others by road and it's totally English-speaking. It amazingly beautiful. Many of the older people on the island don't speak French at all. Even the restaurant and bed and breakfast owners don't speak French.

Grosse-Ile which is at the North part of the archipelago and is its own municipality is about 90% English speaking. Most of the people and businesses seemed to be fluently bilingual.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada