HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
WFP has it now too:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...151385335.html

VICTORY!!!!
But thats not to say I don't want the city to have a waterpark... but lets just put it somewhere more appropriate, and perhaps shoot for a slightly larger facility!
Seasons of Tuxedo -- Hows your plan going?

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 3:54 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininari View Post
wfp has it now too:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...151385335.html

victory!!!!
But thats not to say i don't want the city to have a waterpark... But lets just put it somewhere more appropriate, and perhaps shoot for a slightly larger facility!
Seasons of tuxedo -- hows your plan going?
yes!!!!!

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 3:56 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Seasons of Tuxedo -- Hows your plan going?
I think it was confirmed that there was no evidence of any waterpark being planned or in the works for the SoT site.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 4:04 PM
BANNED

Tough day for Katz, loses out on a water park/hotel that would compliment his business but on the other hand retains use of a CITY owned parking lot that he and his patrons benefit from.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:13 PM
surely you agree with me

awesome.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:05 PM

Thank goodness.

How inappropriate that proposal was.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:20 PM
What could go wrong?

What am i supposed to do with my rubber ducky water wings and pocket full of quarters for the coin operated vibrating motel beds?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

go to portage la prarie

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 9:04 PM

Yeah!

"Oh, you guys want to see what this piece of shit will look like BEFORE you give us $7 million for the privilege of building a tiny tacky mistake on the city's most prized real estate? Shucks. Guess we'll have to find some horrid backwater town to build in."

I mean, seriously, that's the impression I got from the article I read. Basically, when the developer realized the citizens of Winnipeg were demanding some actual information on this project it was time to back out. Looks like we were right all along and the plan was to stick us with a Z - grade travesty and laugh all the way to the bank. Put your laughably tiny glorified wading pool somewhere else. We didn't invest a zillion dollars in the new museum to throw together a Super 8 at its doorstep.

What a relief!

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 9:33 PM

I guess sometimes writing letters to your elected officials actually works. This is a good outcome. I hope this is the end of Katz's dream of building Wally World Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:08 PM

How ludicrous that City Council ask for a mere few $100,000s in site plans and drawings for a $75 M project on one of our primest peices of civic real estate! [/sarcasm]. This should remove all doubt about how serious the developer was about this project.

However, maybe the best lesson from this ordeal is just how much say we have in what happens in our city. If there is enough outcry (and potential to anger enough voters), City Council will listen to the peoples concerns. It's too bad that it takes something ridiculous like an ill-conceived waterpark development to get people engaged...

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
How ludicrous that City Council ask for a mere few $100,000s in site plans and drawings for a $75 M project on one of our primest peices of civic real estate! [/sarcasm]. This should remove all doubt about how serious the developer was about this project.

However, maybe the best lesson from this ordeal is just how much say we have in what happens in our city. If there is enough outcry (and potential to anger enough voters), City Council will listen to the peoples concerns. It's too bad that it takes something ridiculous like an ill-conceived waterpark development to get people engaged...
i think it shows people pride the Forks area, very rare thing in Winnipeg to be proud about the city

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:30 AM

This is fantastic news. Can't express how relieved I am about this.

But...

Not to be a negative nilly or anything, but it's kind of ironic that a lot of the opposition to this project was for misguided reasons; many people out there don't want to see anything built on this land (or "green space" as some like to call it). My big fear now is that the right project will come along and it will be squashed by many of the same people who squashed the water park.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:07 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

So glad that water park fiasco is over. Water parks should be built in places where there is a lot of space, and the location at The Forks didn't have that much space.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:08 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
This is fantastic news. Can't express how relieved I am about this.

But...

Not to be a negative nilly or anything, but it's kind of ironic that a lot of the opposition to this project was for misguided reasons; many people out there don't want to see anything built on this land (or "green space" as some like to call it). My big fear now is that the right project will come along and it will be squashed by many of the same people who squashed the water park.
That has been my thoughts as well since this started up. I just hope cooler heads prevail in the end.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:30 PM

Personally, I do not think the opposition to the CanAlta project will set a tone for anything proposed on that site. I think the message is clear though, whatever is proposed on that site needs to get public support. Some renderings and site plans will be an absolute must have.

I would like to see the city also come up with a clear vision on how rapid transit will connect through downtown, and not just the Southwest leg into downtown but how the other spokes will all connect. It seems like the vacant land to the east of the existing rail line through downtown could play a significantly important role here and that needs to be addressed publically.

Finally, if Parcel 4, or some porition of it, eventually becomes a hotel I feel it would be nice to see something of the scale and size of the CMHR that did something to reflect the style and design of that building. Actually, that thought applies to whatever is built there, even a Tim Horton's drive through...

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 5:21 PM

I heard that Sammy was planning a footbridge over to the ballpark from the Hotel, either that or a rope swing from Hu's to the water park. You know that Sammy is a swinger, in the first sense.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 9:16 PM
surely you agree with me

swandel is so full of shit....they could have gotten a schematic design done for $30k easily....his suggestion that they shouldnt have to invest in design fees without assurance is bogus...that happens all the time....the City issued an RFP for the upper fort garry site and several developers submitted design drawings...you should see what the convention centre schematic packages look liked like....or how about the MPI lands....lots of developers are spending money on design without a contract...thats how it works.

often the schematic design is done simply to prove that the business plan works with the site....half the things i do are schematic designs that never come to fruition.

this just shows that they were small time players...i'm sure they spent more that that on lawyers to negotiate the terms of the sale.....they had no problem with that, so why this?

good riddance.....thank you mr. vandal.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 5:23 PM

argggh! looks like some posters were right. Move afoot now to avoid developing Parcel 4 (other than a park).

Katz wants Parcel Four at Forks to be turned into park honouring Asper
By: Staff Writer
Posted: 11:05 AM | Comments: 103 (including replies)
17 1 0 SHARE17 PRINT E–MAIL REPORT ERROR
If it can't be a water park, maybe it could be a park.
This morning, Mayor Sam Katz suggested a prime piece of city-owned land that was slated to be a water park could be converted into a park to honour the late Izzy Asper.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...151726425.html

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 6:16 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavelle103 View Post
argggh! looks like some posters were right. Move afoot now to avoid developing Parcel 4 (other than a park).

Katz wants Parcel Four at Forks to be turned into park honouring Asper
By: Staff Writer
Posted: 11:05 AM | Comments: 103 (including replies)
17 1 0 SHARE17 PRINT E–MAIL REPORT ERROR
If it can't be a water park, maybe it could be a park.
This morning, Mayor Sam Katz suggested a prime piece of city-owned land that was slated to be a water park could be converted into a park to honour the late Izzy Asper.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...151726425.html
Does Winnipeg really need ANOTHER park with a plaque in it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan