HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 10:03 PM
Awesome!

Music concerts in Ottawa/Gatineau

Upcoming notable concerts/shows in Ottawa

April 23: Fleetwood Mac - Scotiabank Place
May 2: Rihanna - Scotiabank Place
May 14: Motley Crue & Big Wreck - Scotiabank Place
June 4: New Kids on the Block, 98 Degrees, Boyz II Men - Scotiabank Place
June 14-15: Rancid, Lamb of God, Alice Cooper, The Offspring, Rise Against, Marilyn Manson, Deftones, Pennywise, Lagwagon and many more - Amnesia Rockfest in Montebello
June 26: Aretha Franklin - Confederation Park
June 29-30: Ferry Corsten, Rusko, Markus Schulz, Chus & Ceballos, Benny Benassi at more TBA - Escapade Music Festival - outdoors at the RA Centre
July 1: Tiesto - Escapade Music Festival - outdoors in the Byward Market
July 4: Black Keys, Grand Funk Railroad, The Cat Empire, Jimmy Eat World - Bluesfest
July 5: Flogging Molly, Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters - Bluesfest
July 6: Dixie Chicks, Zeds Dead - Bluesfest
July 7: The Joy Formidable, Tegan and Sara, Fun., Wu-Tang Clan, Everlast - Bluesfest
July 7: Paul McCartney - Scotiabank Place
July 8: Mother Mother, RUSH - Bluesfest
July 10: Marianas Trench, Weezer, Animal Collective - Bluesfest
July 11: The Tragically Hip - Bluesfest
July 12: Matthew Good, Great Big Sea - Bluesfest
July 13: Bjork - Bluesfest
July 13: H.O.P.E. Volleyball Summerfest - lineup TBA - Mooney's Bay
July 14: Yukon Blonde, Alice in Chains, B.B. King, Serena Ryder - Bluesfest
July 15: The Eagles - Scotiabank Place
September 5-8: Ottawa Folk Festival - lineup TBA - Hog's Back Park
July 23: Justin Bieber - Scotiabank Place
July 25: KISS & Shinedown - Scotiabank Place
August 22: Selena Gomez - Scotiabank Place
Aug 30-Sep 2: Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival - lineup TBA - parc de la Baie
Sep 4-8: Festival Outaouais Émergent - lineup TBA - outdoors downtown Hull
September 14: Sarah Brightman - Scotiabank Place

Monster music summer for Ottawa?
Elton John-Billy Joel among major shows to be announced

By DENIS ARMSTRONG, Sun Media

Ottawa could be on the brink of one of its biggest summers of music in recent memory.

Promoter Live Nation is expected to join with Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien and others on Monday to announce at least one, and likely several, major acts coming to the city in June, July and August. What's known for sure is that they will announce that superstars Elton John and Billy Joel will play Scotiabank Place on June 1.

Normally, concert promoters don't use the city's mayor and other celebrities to make concert announcements. Which means that Live Nation believes it might have even bigger fish to fry for Ottawa.

By Monday the promoter hopes to have confirmed dates for rock legends AC/DC, Canadian rockers Nickelback and the Jonas Brothers, the latter for Scotiabank Place in August.

Also rumoured to be in the works are major concert events by Bruce Springsteen, U2 and a two-day Virgin Festival, possibly later this summer.

The Virgin Festival is a North American spin-off of Britain's V Festival. Virgin chairman Richard Branson, who announced the inaugural Canadian show in Toronto in 2006, was in Ottawa Tuesday for the promotional launch of Virgin Radio, the rock station formerly known as The Bear 106.9.

Last edited by Cre47; Apr 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Kid Rock and Super Tramp

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 10:19 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Promoter Live Nation is expected to join with Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien and others on Monday to announce at least one, and likely several, major acts coming to the city in June, July and August. What's known for sure is that they will announce that superstars Elton John and Billy Joel will play Scotiabank Place on June 1.

Normally, concert promoters don't use the city's mayor and other celebrities to make concert announcements.

By Monday the promoter hopes to have confirmed dates for rock legends AC/DC, Canadian rockers Nickelback and the Jonas Brothers, the latter for Scotiabank Place in August.

Also rumoured to be in the works are major concert events by Bruce Springsteen, U2 and a two-day Virgin Festival, possibly later this summer.
Elton John and Billy Joel don't excite me at all....ditto for AC/DC and Nickelcrud....is this the best we can do....at why is O'Brien promoting this.....

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 11:27 PM

Fo Real. Bring back Snoop!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdensitysprawl View Post
....is this the best we can do...
I don't think you realize just how big these events would be for the city.

Holding a two-day Virgin Festival, along with the existing Bluesfest, would put Ottawa in the top tier of live music cities in North America. And those acts mentioned in the article are the top touring acts in the world right now. Even if you're not a fan, I don't see how them performing in Ottawa could be anything but good news for the city.

I, myself, am more of an indie music fan, but I welcome any concert announcements that raise the profile of the city as a live music venue.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 1:17 AM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamoun79 View Post
I don't think you realize just how big these events would be for the city.

Holding a two-day Virgin Festival, along with the existing Bluesfest, would put Ottawa in the top tier of live music cities in North America. And those acts mentioned in the article are the top touring acts in the world right now. Even if you're not a fan, I don't see how them performing in Ottawa could be anything but good news for the city.

I, myself, am more of an indie music fan, but I welcome any concert announcements that raise the profile of the city as a live music venue.
They may be big, but Elton and Billy Joel just leave me cold....ditto for Nickelback and AC/DC...however, if they bring in tourism dollars and people want to go see them, good luck to them.

Still not sure where O'Brien fits into all of this.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:38 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

AC/DC is the only one I'd buy tickets for. Elton John, Nickelback and Billy Joel, I have no interest in seeing, but I see how those will be good concerts for the city to host.

Black Ice, AC/DC's new album, rocks!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 5:06 AM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
AC/DC is the only one I'd buy tickets for. Elton John, Nickelback and Billy Joel, I have no interest in seeing, but I see how those will be good concerts for the city to host.

Black Ice, AC/DC's new album, rocks!!
You are preaching to the unconverted here but how is the new AC/DC album different from Back in Black, Flick of the switch etc...I've heard one song and to me it sounded like an outake of Back in Black...

AC/DC to me are a cartoon band, akin to the Rolling Stones since about 1971...churning out the same stuff over and over again, a la Status Quo.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:54 AM
Still optimistic

Jonas Brothers?

*shudder*

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:00 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Too bad they're in Europe most/all of the summer, otherwise I'd suggest the powers that be go after Metallica for a massive outdoor concert. I would pay a lot of money to attend that.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:22 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
You are preaching to the unconverted here but how is the new AC/DC album different from Back in Black, Flick of the switch etc...I've heard one song and to me it sounded like an outake of Back in Black...

AC/DC to me are a cartoon band, akin to the Rolling Stones since about 1971...churning out the same stuff over and over again, a la Status Quo.
Well, if you're a fan you tend to be more generous toward them. I got a vinyl copy of Back In Black for my 12th birthday and still have it. I do say the same about the Rolling Stones, so I hear you. Back in Black, For Those About To Rock, Flick of the Switch, all those are a pleasure to listen to. Black Ice is right up there in my book as one of their good ones.

There is also Airbourne, who sound a lot like them and have played here a couple of times, they have their own material (not a cover band at all) and they sound really good. It's good party rock.

This aside, another band I'd really love to see is Gov't Mule - they would be a perfect BluesFest show.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:10 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
Well, if you're a fan you tend to be more generous toward them.
Mille...I moved to Agincourt (Toronto) when I was in High School from the UK and my high school was full of 'stoners' who were into AC/DC, Sabbath, Priest, and other such rivethead bands....Zeppelin and Yes are as close as I get to that kind of stuff.

In terms of being generous I can put up with indulgences and dabblings that most people don't appreciate of:

Roxy Music, Brian Eno, Genesis (pre Gabriel leaving), Bob Dylan, Laughin' Lennie, Joni Mitchell, Fairport Convention, Madness, Miles Davis, Dave Bruebeck, Pulp, Stone Roses etc.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Too bad they're in Europe most/all of the summer, otherwise I'd suggest the powers that be go after Metallica for a massive outdoor concert. I would pay a lot of money to attend that.
YES. Metallica and more metal bands in general please. Ottawa always seems to get skipped over.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 2:24 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

Metallica almost always comes to Ottawa when they do extensive arena tours (such as after an album release ... which they had a few months ago). I expect them to be here next fall/winter. I just wish we could have them in the summer for a massive outdoor gig ... picturing 10s of thousands in attendance. That would be so sweet.

I also hope to some day see Dream Theater do an Ottawa gig. Those guys are incredible.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 2:43 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Mille...I moved to Agincourt (Toronto) when I was in High School from the UK and my high school was full of 'stoners' who were into AC/DC, Sabbath, Priest, and other such rivethead bands....Zeppelin and Yes are as close as I get to that kind of stuff.

In terms of being generous I can put up with indulgences and dabblings that most people don't appreciate of:

Roxy Music, Brian Eno, Genesis (pre Gabriel leaving), Bob Dylan, Laughin' Lennie, Joni Mitchell, Fairport Convention, Madness, Miles Davis, Dave Bruebeck, Pulp, Stone Roses etc.
My high school years are full of memories of amny of those. Definitely Yes (I saw them here 5 years ago, great show) - Genesis, Roxy Music definitely, and Miles Davis any day. My high school was half stoners and half brainy nerdy kids like me... except I never kept myself boxed into one group. I had stoner moments of my own with the music to go with it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 1:46 PM

Wow, I guess I'm the only one who's into big breasted Swedish singers.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 12:23 AM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Wow, I guess I'm the only one who's into big breasted Swedish singers.
Who, ABBA or Ace of Base.?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Who, ABBA or Ace of Base.?
Lena Philipsson of course, though not all of you are into MILFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59jcoymbI1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeIrYiO-LnY

I've always been a fan of Tess Merkel from Alcazar, she looks slutty into all her vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_FF3S77xxg

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 2:47 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Lena Philipsson of course, though not all of you are into MILFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59jcoymbI1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeIrYiO-LnY

I've always been a fan of Tess Merkel from Alcazar, she looks slutty into all her vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_FF3S77xxg
Hmmn, perhaps you meant to post these in the thread about closed down strip clubs.

BTW this just in from Russia with Love.

http://chickencrap.com/c.php?c=2295

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 3:56 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
Hmmn, perhaps you meant to post these in the thread about closed down strip clubs.
Good one...I was expecting at some point the DJ to shout out 'put your hands together and give a warm Playmate welcome to Mercedes'....

If you want gorgeous and singer then you can't go wrong with:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=DTy3WA...x=0&playnext=1

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ig3EjNlKP5M (warning...excessive alcohol consumption can make you sing like Shane McGowan)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xz07Hf5htfY (this one goes back to the early 80's....ahh,, CFNY memories)

Watching this video will make you get back to work....see how long you can stomach this dreck.....

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=r-vx4GcjASE

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 8:40 PM

Virgin Music festival in Ottawa? Where would it be? Lebreton Flats? Any news on this?

As for all the other announcements, I would be more excited if these were scheduled for outdoor summer dates, and not indoors in an arena far from the city in Kanata, I hate going to concerts there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation