HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 12:35 PM

SeattleBoy - With all due respect, this is hardly a sleepy little hamlet. Do a little research and you'll be blown away by this area.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 7:57 AM

^Compared to Seattle, all of SC's major urban areas could be called "sleepy little hamlets." Bellevue is a suburb and has about the same population as SC's largest city.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 10:23 AM

^I've been to Bellevue, and while very nice - it was nothing more than a mall and a bunch of subdivisions until recent history. It also has the benefit of being within Microsoft's orbit of influence (they rent tons of space in the immediate area).

It has neither the charm nor the character of downtown Greenville - it's too new. You won't find anything remotely approaching what you guys have in the Main Street corridor.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 11:01 AM
Old Fart Forumer

It's all relative. I'm sure there's quite a few New Yorkers who would consider Seattle a nice, sleepy town. Of course SeattleBoy's touch of condescension certainly wasn't warranted. Just enjoy the lifestyle you've got in good ole Greenville. Nice place as far as I'm concerned.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan
It's all relative. I'm sure there's quite a few New Yorkers who would consider Seattle a nice, sleepy town. Of course SeattleBoy's touch of condescension certainly wasn't warranted. Just enjoy the lifestyle you've got in good ole Greenville. Nice place as far as I'm concerned.
Yep, agreed!

Never understood why people on these boards get hung up on size.

I chose to live in Greenville and travel to Seattle 4 or 5 times a year. Both have great quality of life! I've stayed at Bellevues new Westin.....fabulous, but no more fabulous than Greenville's historic Westin. Bellevue is a nice burb of Seattle, no doubt.

I will say, living in Greenville with it's lower cost of living, affords me the opportunity to travel when and where I please and not be "house poor". Much to be said for these small "hamlets"!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker
I REALLY like the way Greenville's sidewalks are designed in the above photos. They are very European. Really, they are just part of a good, solid urban design concept...but let's face it: America doesn't have too many streets that look like that.
Hey BNA, thats interesting you made that comment, as the European feel of Greenville is one of the things that made my partner and I choose Greenville as home. There are so many things about Greenville that feel European......the shingle signs downtown, the style of sidewalks, areas of Falls Park, the outdoor seating at the many restaurants, the general attitude.

My partner and I have traveled Europe extensively.....I should post some photos of some of the European destinations side by side with a Greenville shot. You'd be shocked at the similarities. There's one area of Falls Park with the view of downtown and every single visual cue feels exactly like one of the parks on the river in Prague. I may do a thread like that if I get time.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 12:58 AM

Story about the Peacock Hotel and Spa, the Pinnacle on Main, and McBee Station: http://www.wyff4.com/news/9938733/detail.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 1:16 AM

CREDIT TO GSA BUSINESS:

While developer Mark Kent continues to move ahead with plans for a luxury hotel in downtown Greenville, the fate of an adjacent property remains up in the air. Kent and business partner Grant Peacock plan to build the Peacock Hotel and Spa on the corner of Spring Street and McBee Avenue. The former Kimbrell's Furniture building at 113 S. Main St. abuts the hotel property.

Kent, president of Keystone Properties LLC, purchased the Kimbrell's building in 2002. Shortly thereafter, Kimbrell's decided to relocate its business to a shopping center near Pleasantburg Drive. Several ideas have been proposed for the Main Street site, but none have come to fruition. Kent says he doesn't currently have any plans for the site. "Everything is under wraps," Kent says. "We want to finish the hotel and then look at potential projects."

The city Design and Preservation Commission rejected plans in 2004 to demolish the Kimbrell's building and build a multi-screen movie theater in its place. Commission members denied a second request filed a year later that would have demolished the building to make way for a public park with a mixed-use building behind it.

Last year, developers won preliminary city approval to demolish the building and replace it with a similar-looking building as part of a plaza and townhome project. Kent says he planned to include the Kimbrell's site in the Peacock Hotel and Spa development. "We originally wanted the condos to go there, but we became aware it would be easier to put the condos vertically on top of the hotel," Kent says. "When we started looking at the cost per square foot, it would have cost almost double to put the condos there."

The 11-story Peacock Hotel and Spa will consist of 116 rooms, an upscale restaurant and full-service spa. The property will also contain meeting rooms, a boardroom and a ballroom with capacity for 150 people. Kent hopes to break ground by the end of the year and wrap up construction in 18 months. "Presently we're doing fundraising efforts," Kent says. "We're hoping to get some local investors and out-of-state investors."

Kent have been active in redeveloping downtown Greenville for several years. He purchased and restored the nearby American Cigar Factory and Chamber of Commerce buildings. It is unclear what will take place at the Kimbrell's location. Any future use of the property would likely result in preserving the 88-year-old building's facade, which has been a particular point of debate with the Design and Preservation Committee.

Greenville Mayor Knox White says the city believes the building would be an ideal mixed-use development. "It's a great site because it's on Main Street," White says. "If you look at Main Street, there's not a lot of frontage available." Robin Prince, a member of the Design and Preservation Commission and a local architect, says he is hopeful the Kimbrell's site will be an important part of downtown's redevelopment. "I would like to see something that energizes Main Street and adds a lot of vitality to it," Prince says.

Last edited by g-man435; Sep 27, 2006 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 1:20 AM

Rail-to-trails and Piazza Bergamo update: http://www.upstatelink.com/apps/pbcs...LINK/609260303

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 1:30 AM

New Cleveland St. YMCA. Go to greenvilleonline's frontpage to see rendering: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbc...EWS01/60926007

Old Posted Sep 28, 2006, 10:28 PM

Update on Pinnacle on Main: As of today, the developers now have enough financing to begin construction. Currently, The Ellis Group Architecture Firm is in the process of getting a grading permit. It is anticipated and scheduled that they will have this permit sometime in October. Construction is to begin immediately after they receive the permit.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 6:57 PM

*Update pics taken earlier today by me*

Field House at West End-

McBee Station-

Scafolding (spelling) to lay brick for Publix building:

Two cranes:

Foundation wall and part of site:

Terrace at Riverplace-

Two pics of the day-

Last edited by g-man435; Sep 29, 2006 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 8:08 PM

Demolition of the old Service Merchandise store has begun at Verdae Marketfair. It will be replaced by a Super Bi-Lo. Here are some pics I took today of the progress:

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 9:18 PM

Peacock Hotel and Spa groundbreaking put on hold until mid-to-late November. More info: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbc...32/1068/NEWS01

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 12:39 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Thanks for the additonal pics g-man. So much going on, good stuff.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Oct 4, 2006, 12:11 AM

New mixed-use development with hotel for downtown Greenville: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...INESS/61003005

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 3:22 AM

Greenville is officially getting a Kroc Center. More info: http://www.wyff4.com/news/10009045/detail.html

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 1:27 AM

-Sign with rendering and info now up on the Peacock Hotel and Spa site. I will post a pic of it on here tomorrow.

-Rails-to-trails phase 1 in Greenville opens today. More info to come.

-HUGE tourism plan announced for Greenville. Most likely it will pass and is getting wide-spread approval. More info:

http://greenvilleforward.com/Main%20Pages/TRAC.htm

http://www.wyff4.com/news/10048032/detail.html

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...WS01/610110404

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 5:03 PM

Fall for Greenville begins at 5 PM today:

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 2:02 PM

This is a GREAT idea and I support it as does most of county council and area residents: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/asse...S455741014.GIF

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbc...WS01/610140323

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast