HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 5:46 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
While I'm no Nimby, I certainly agree with Nimbies voicing their opinions. They bring to light (no pun intended) issues that might not have been addressed otherwise. Our city is unmeasurable better thanks to Nimbies pushing for improvements in projects and infrastructure. It's up to council to make the decisions and decide how much merit the Nimbies have. I think most people have a problem with councils decisions more then with the Nimbies themselves.
I agree with you there. Public discourse is absolutely vital to making a city liveable for all, but honestly, when people move to an neighborhood known for big screens and bright lights (the stadium area) and then complain about it, it's seems counter-productive.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 8:46 AM

Something I wondered driving by City Hall last night...

Have the residents on 12th ever complained about the lighting feature on City Hall? I mean, it faces them directly, is dynamic, and is on past 9PM (I know, the horror).

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnJr3c4sfWs

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 10:11 PM

Of interest -

Lighting feature on Aura in Toronto:

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/news/2014...s-upper-floors

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post

Have the residents on 12th ever complained about the lighting feature on City Hall? I mean, it faces them directly, is dynamic, and is on past 9PM (I know, the horror).

I would complain about how tacky this is. Forget whether it bothers me at night or not. God this is so LAME.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post

It's an art installation from the olympics. The flashing functions as a clock.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 2:25 AM

look what kansas city can do.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 2:30 AM
More Towers

Better in Hong Kong:

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 2:33 AM

i am just surprised kansas city kansas frickin city outdoes vancouver lol world class vancouver city lol

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:10 PM

Even without special effects, Vancouver is often unusually dark and underlit for a city that "has everything." Even parts of the CBD (around the VAG, for example) are surprisingly gloomy.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Even without special effects, Vancouver is often unusually dark and underlit for a city that "has everything." Even parts of the CBD (around the VAG, for example) are surprisingly gloomy.
Agreed, and I've always wondered why. One positive note is that many of the major intersections are very brightly lit with LED now. Let's see what Trump tower, Telus Garden and Vancouver House can bring us when they are completed. Hopefully they will shame Shangri-la tower enough to at least light up the top.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i am just surprised kansas city kansas frickin city outdoes vancouver lol world class vancouver city lol
Why the surprise? Its absolutely pathetic, but should hardly be a surprise. The powers that be in this city want to drown any and all creativity in lighting and signage in an ocean of silly, arbitrary, and quite frankly made up rules and regulations.

To think that once upon a time this city's streets were alive with bright, elaborate signs that had Vancouver not only FAR ahead of other cities its size, but also more lively in appearance than many cities that were 2, or even more times larger than it was. Instead of being right up there with the New Yorks of the world, today we are far surpassed by noted mega cities such as Kansas City. Where once some of the most elaborate signage and light features on the planet lit up our city; today we get excited when a thin strip of LED's that you can buy at one of the Asian malls in Richmond is added
to one of our buildings

Had that proud tradition from this city's past been continued, it would serve as a tourist attraction for the city. Instead.....ya not so much. Even some of our main buildings (such as the art gallery) aren't even very creatively lit up. This doesn't even cover our iconic, but tragically undervalued Burrard Bridge. In almost any other city that bridge would be lit up. Calgary, for example has lit up a bridge that isn't even in the same league as Burrard, yet ours remains largely in the dark.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:43 PM

Oh I am sure someone would complain about the "light pollution" in the downtown core of a medium size city because it's supposed to be nice and quiet and dark like the suburbs.

Vancouver has to be the only city in the world with people who want to "live downtown" but not want any of the common traits of "downtown" that go with it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 3:37 AM
Big City Enthusiast

NYC isn't that lit up either, nor is Chicago. I think that skyscraper-rich cities tend to be darker than those without since it starts to be a bit silly/tacky if you have more than 20 or so light up.

But I do agree that Vancouver could be better lit, especially Shangri-La. ... More surprised that aviation beacons aren't required (which would help significantly).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 8:43 AM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 8:06 PM

That Hong Kong skyscraper looks tacky. I like its architecture, but hate those lighting animations. I don't think such a tall landmark building should ever be used for such animations. They work better on smaller buildings.

I like the lighting of Omni Hotel in Dallas.

Video Link

Also their tallest skyscraper is sometimes animated with some colors in a more tasteful manner. Normally it looks like in the above video.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
vancouver actually has a good amount of this kind of lighting

cambie has these lights on the poles

source: http://snappysnaps.ca/tag/bc/

yaletown has the rain barrels

source: http://adriangollner.ca/?p=51

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 12:04 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

http://www.americaswonderlands.com/i...FOUNTAIN01.jpg

............. as an example ...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:19 PM

Here we go with the latest round of stupidity coming from 12th & Cambie

Vancouver Eyes Return to Dark Ages

By Ada Slivinski, QMI Agency Vancouver
Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:54:41 PST PM

A City of Vancouver councillor wants to limit outdoor light at night to minimize the reportedly detrimental effects on both humans and animals. On Tuesday, council unanimously passed a motion by the Non-Partisan Association’s Elizabeth Ball to have the city develop recommendations for an outdoor lighting strategy, which would preserve “dark sky,” and reduce light pollution in the city.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/02/03...n-to-dark-ages

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:32 PM

She starts talking about how "until the 19th century...blah, blah, blah..." Hey Loonie tunes, we can't go back to the way things were in the 18th century. We're competing for tourist dollars in the modern world with cities who don't give a rats ass about how things were done in the 18th century.

She also speaks of something called the "Illuminating Engineering Society." What in the blue hell is that? More like another "social engineering society" trying to impose its personal preferences on the rest of us.

As a side note, the article ran a poll regarding the issue and almost 70% of readers weren't worried about the "issue" at all or not enough to care to do anything about it what-so-ever.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:58 PM

I'm pretty disappointed with the Green Party at all levels.

As somebody who wants the environment respected, I think it's going to be an important part of future development - being energy conscious, properly costing out pollution and limited resources, etc.

But every time they open their mouth in public they sound like fools. This is foolish. Not supporting the transit referendum is foolish. I just don't get it. Too hippie dippy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues