HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 4:43 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

couple pics from myself

the cluster up main street showing loftland and the slopes along with the social housing project nearing completion and the Concord Uptown crane >>

Pinnacle & Wall Center construction madness >>

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 6:27 AM

Thanks for the updates sacrifice and hollywoodnorth! James probably has the best executed townhome/lowrise base of any tower project in the CoV to date.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 6:35 AM
Vancouver User

^^ Thanks HollywoodNorth!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 8:55 AM

Thanks guys.

That's a huge double storey open space behind the dump truck for WCFC - is that the lobby? (too far to the west to be for the theatre, isn't it?)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:35 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks guys.

That's a huge double storey open space behind the dump truck for WCFC - is that the lobby? (too far to the west to be for the theatre, isn't it?)
Might be a vehicle pass-through of some sort. Playhouse Theatre is immediately East of the two West towers.

WCFC site for reference image.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 7:37 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Wonder how things will unfold now that the Playhouse has closed shop.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Wonder how things will unfold now that the Playhouse has closed shop.
Could you clarify that? Has the Playhouse gone out of business? Or do you mean that the Playhouse has vacated their SEFC offices?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 10:39 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It looks like the Playhouse is closing up shop completely as of tonight due to it's financial mess (even after the $1M bailout by the COV just last fall). I imagine something will rise up to fill the void but who knows when and what.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
It looks like the Playhouse is closing up shop completely as of tonight due to it's financial mess (even after the $1M bailout by the COV just last fall). I imagine something will rise up to fill the void but who knows when and what.
one can only hope its a LIVE MUSIC space ........ that space could be filled most nights of the week with proper programming .... ie: LIVE MUSIC/BANDS/DJ's, etc

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Thanks for the updates sacrifice and hollywoodnorth! James probably has the best executed townhome/lowrise base of any tower project in the CoV to date.
I really like it as well .... and LUCKY US ... Cressy is doing Meccania in the same area so we will get another beauty to watch rise soon enough!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
one can only hope its a LIVE MUSIC space ........ that space could be filled most nights of the week with proper programming .... ie: LIVE MUSIC/BANDS/DJ's, etc
I was saddened to hear that The Playhouse Theatre is closing for good.
I was also wondering what will be done with this purpose-built space in WCFC, now that Playhouse won't be moving in.
Since it is likely still raw space, it could be finished to suit the needs of another arts tenant.

A friend was saying today that letting The Playhouse Theatre go into bankruptcy may be a necessary step to wipe its accumulated debt. Then a new organization (lets call it "New Playhouse Theatre 2012" ) will pick up the (now debt-free) remains of The Playhouse Theatre and open in the WCFC space next year. She was saying most of their problems were because they didn't control the space they were using (part of the QE Theatre centre), so they couldn't adjust their schedule to extend hit shows.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 7:03 AM

took some pics down in the area today...

all pics by me
Maynards

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
She was saying most of their problems were because they didn't control the space they were using (part of the QE Theatre centre), so they couldn't adjust their schedule to extend hit shows.
That's part of it. An even bigger piece is that whenever the City booked an event in the Playhouse during the day or on the day of the week when the Playhouse was dark it would be up to the Playhouse to 'strike' the set and remove everything from the stage in order to allow the booked event to come in. All of that labour, all of the storage costs, and all of the vastly increased cost of set development (since everything would have to be able to be broken down and moved instead of staying in place for the run of a show) came out of the Playhouse Theatre Company's pocket. That's an absolutely huge financial burden when you consider unionized technical workers cost $25-$50 an hour and require a minimum 4-hour call. If the set were struck after a night's show in order to be ready for the following day's daytime rental then the crews would likely go into OT. If the set needed to be struck after a two-show day like a Saturday then the crews could well go into double-OT by the time everything was struck at the end of the night. The structural deficit the Playhouse has endured for decades is because this asinine process of having to strike the set for each and every rental performance has been in effect for decades.

Not only will the direct impact of lost salaries be experienced, but the tens of thousands of theatre-goers who went downtown and ate at restaurants, drank at bars, paid for parking, etc., will be lost, too. If the Arts Club's Granville Island Stage were to close, for example, at least half the restaurants on the Island would go likely go under within a year; that or significantly curtail their hours. The arts may seem to be an extravagance but its essentially a loss leader to help other businesses succeed and bring options for entertainment diversity into our lives.

I sincerely hope that the Playhouse can be saved. I think that the company's finances would have immensely improved once it moved out of its expensive rented office and shop space and into its new home in the WCFC development. It's a real shame that project was on hold for so long. A couple of years' delay meant that the Playhouse's rental space had to be renewed on a short-term lease and I heard the owners of the building really put the screws to them and they had to burn through their bail-out money at a terrifying rate. I'm not a huge fan of taxpayer bailouts but the Playhouse, along with the Arts Club, are the two lynch pins of the Vancouver theatre community. Losing one will do immense damage to the arts sector and it has a knock on effect on the smaller, growing arts companies that act as incubators for talent and ideas.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 1:51 AM

a nice series showing the cranes looming over the OV (pics by me)

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 7:52 PM
Vancouver User

Maynards: removed the cunstruction crane from the main tower about a week ago, and is slowly filling in the curtain wall?:

Untitled by sacrifice333, on Flickr

WCFC: glazing continuing. I'll try to get a pic of the South facade... some more colour-blocking taking shape:

Untitled by sacrifice333, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:36 AM

Making quite the impression these days:

(taken from Ontario)

Taken from Ontario, looking west:

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:04 AM
See ya down under, mates

They aren't going to keep those H-frame east-side-alley style lines, are they?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:18 AM

Weren't they labeled as some sort of special heritage/style designation so that they would stay/be rebuilt the same?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
They aren't going to keep those H-frame east-side-alley style lines, are they?
BCHydro has said they will be replacing the "H"-frames with underground ducts when blocks get redeveloped. They are also planning on replacing the "H"-frames completely by the end of the decade.
- except for small areas downtown that are used for filming in 'gritty downtown alleys'. I suspect those "H"-frames and wires &tc. will be left for the gritty atmosphere, but the wires won't be live; the power for the nearby buildings will still be fed from the new underground ducts.

BC Hydro to take down banged-up H-frames:
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...8-2045d725d3f4

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:40 AM

These condos cost how much?!?

From Cole1965 at flickr.

Link to the rest of the pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cole1965/

IMG_0124 by Cole 1965
by cole1965
, on Flickr

Last edited by mrjauk; Mar 21, 2012 at 4:56 AM. Reason: Changed code to allow Flickr Image

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver