HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 3:41 PM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchypoo View Post
I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but unfortunately there are some non-muslims that think this way..... Like Ward Churchill and other pro-Communists.
Hey, I'm Pro Communistic. Do you have a problem with that?

Also, nice renderings Carlos.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 4:10 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLG Allstar View Post
Hey, I'm Pro Communistic. Do you have a problem with that?
^ simple logic on this one:
the power of many > the power of one

as for the name "freedom tower", its def jingoistic.

"1wtc" i like tho. ill prob get hated on for sayin this, i liked daniel liebskind's (or however u spell it) original design better. the new design is aight, but ill reserve my final judgment until the building is finished and ive seen it in person.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I thought it was quite obvious that it was sarcasm directed toward those who wish to bury the name "Freedom Tower" because it is "jingoistic" or "embarassing", or those who simply want to forget that 9/11 was an act or WAR against the United States and all it stands for, not simply a criminal act by a handful of misguided hijackers.

Why not evoke a little anger toward those who want to forget the attrocity of 9/11 or minimize it by denying the intent behind the targeting of the WTC? How about a little anger toward those who laugh and sneer at the mere mention of the word "freedom" as hokey or old-fashioned or "jingoistic? How about getting angry at the implication that 9/11 was somehow deserved or can be justified? That's what pisses ME off!

As much as many New Yorkers want to put the whole "incident" behind them and as much as some New York media liberals associate the term "Freedom" with right-wing (or even just Republican) politicians, the rebuilding of the World Trade Center has NATIONAL importance. The new towers rising at the World Trade Center are a symbol of American resilience and rebirth - not just New York's rebirth. Sorry, but it's true. The whole rebuilt center will be known as the World Trade Center. There will be a memorial to honor and reflect on the loss of 3000 souls, including the brave heroes who sacrificed their lives trying to save others. But the tallest tower demands an iconic name that represents the strongest ideal and aspiration of the America people, even as we struggle toward its full realization.
It's very simple-minded to think that Al Qaeda attacked us because of "Freedom". They attacked us because of their perception of how our policies affect them. To have such a basic misunderstanding about this with all the information available is unacceptable in my opinion. It's not about politics, it's about truth.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 7:22 PM

wow, a lot of scary people in this thread. "freedom tower" is jingoistic and just cheapens the word, but that is the current state of this country. the words "patriot" and even "american" have been hijacked for jingoistic aims.

i also agree that the design is "meh", but at least nyc will be getting at least one 1,368' building back.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 10:47 PM
BANNED

Thanks for the pic, Pussy Willow!

The last one shows the extreme massiveness of the base alone, after the tower is built

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSSY WILLOW View Post
I'm so glad the original design of the base was dropped in favor of this. The original steel design would have been so hideous. This design actually has a bit of class to it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 1:05 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Yeah, I think the base of the Freedom Tower will be just fine. Between this great new building, and all the other spectacular structures coming, the former "Ground Zero" will be a world wonder. Who knows... even 5 WTC might just turn out far better than we think. For all the delays, it's nice to see that it actually paid off with some world class design...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 2:14 AM

Quote:
courtesy of Myfreebird flickr

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-trade-center/

July 30, 2007, 11:24 am
It Seems That Freedom Is Just Another Name for 1 World Trade Center

By David W. Dunlap

The Freedom Tower column, painted white above, was the first to be set in place last December, but now is getting lost — perhaps like the name itself. (Photo: David W. Dunlap/The New York Times)

Four years ago, Gov. George E. Pataki bestowed the name Freedom Tower on the tallest building planned for ground zero. Now, as the 1,776-foot high tower is finally taking form, is the name slowly fading from view?

In a news release last week, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey referred to the structure as “1 World Trade Center, the Freedom Tower.”
That seems to suggest that the more straightforward designation now gets top billing, to go along with 7 World Trade Center, which has already been rebuilt, and Nos. 2, 3 and 4 World Trade Center, which have been designed.

The “Freedom Tower” name has come in for its share of criticism and mockery. Christopher Hawthorne of Slate called the name inane and “bluntly jingoistic.” Curbed once quipped, “Freedom Tower, Now With 34% More Freedom!”

(The evolving design has drawn plenty of criticism too: Nicolai Ouroussoff, the architecture critic of The Times, said the fortress-like tower embodied “a world shaped by fear.” His predecessor, Herbert Muschamp, called it “a piece of bombast.”)
Hey, NY Times ... your momma!

There. Hope that my biting sarcasm didn't offend anyone.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 3:58 AM

i hope this building is never built

Quote:
Amazing how it did not collapsed as the rest of the complex did
probably because bombs werent placed inside and detonated like in 1 WTC, 2 WTC, and 7 WTC

amazing how these supposed "terrorists" passports could be found all clean and sparkly amongst the rubble yet no black box was ever found

Quote:
Those 19 men were NOT brave warriors! They are more acturately described as sick cowards who caused well over 2,000 innocent people to die needlessly.
funny that most of those 19 men are still alive today

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:01 AM
Beat it, bi(t)ches.

Take it somewhere else.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:02 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownsFinest216 View Post

probably because bombs werent placed inside and detonated like in 1 WTC, 2 WTC, and 7 WTC

amazing how these supposed "terrorists" passports could be found all clean and sparkly amongst the rubble yet no black box was ever found

There is no room for your ingonrance, stupidity, and lack of sanity on this thread. Take you nonsense elsewhere.

I think I speak for everyone.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:15 AM

Quote:

lol, you got this from Loose Change, didn't you? That piece of crap was disproved by dozens of independent sources. Why do you think that damn thing has had multiple versions made? Because they needed to cover the many flaws that they spewed the first time around.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:20 AM

Quote:
I hope you get banned

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:22 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_200 View Post
I hope you get banned
Agreed.

This guy is nothing but an insecure ignorant person. Let time do it's magic. This forumer will not be around much longer.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:27 AM

Quote:

You have got to be kidding. Either that or you have to be one of the most gullible people alive.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:33 AM
Bionic Boogie

This idiot CTownsFinest216 just wants attention....
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:51 AM
Bionic Boogie

July 31, 2007

on my way from 60 Wall street, I took a detour to the WTC construction site......most of the sidewalk is closed....except for the area around the PATH entrance.............

the whole area is buzzing with activity.

tourists most likely from the midwest...

SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 5:01 AM

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear there is a lot of activity on the site. It just feels like these projects are taking forever to see any measurable progress. Out of any of the supertalls currently under construction, there is no doubt that these will get built but sometimes I wonder what is going on behind the scenes. I am anxiously waiting to see something coming out of the ground.

The jury is still out for me as far as the design for the Freedom Tower (or 1 WTC ) but it is 2 WTC that I really want to see.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 5:15 AM
Bionic Boogie

Keep your panties on young jedi.....progress soon you will see LOL
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 5:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:

This idiot CTownsFinest216 just wants attention....

You are so right, Pussy Willow!!!

He has nothing else better to do than to trash this thread with that conspiracy theory crap about 09-11! You'd think by now that we'd have heard the last of this and have had enough of it!

He needs to go get a damn life!!

Last edited by Daquan13; Aug 2, 2007 at 11:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive