HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Update:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-beltline.html

Quote:
A third person has been arrested in connection with last week’s brutal beating in Calgary’s Beltline neighbourhood, police said Monday.
<>
A man is still in life-threatening condition after being assaulted on Sixth Street at 15th Avenue S.W. Police believe the attack was unprovoked.

Investigators executed search warrants on a vehicle and two homes in the community of Huntington Hills.
These sorts of unprovoked, random, and/or collateral damage attacks are the absolute worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Just like to point out that the alleged suspects in that brutal attack that recently happened in the Beltline reside in the burbs.
I don't see how a person's home address (such as 60's pseudo-burb Huntington Hills in this case) really is of relevance. It might be interesting to know if they own or rent. At the end of the day, sh*t attracts flies - just like with the 100+ people brawl recently.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Update:

These sorts of unprovoked, random, and/or collateral damage attacks are the absolute worst!

I don't see how a person's home address (such as 60's pseudo-burb Huntington Hills in this case) really is of relevance. It might be interesting to know if they own or rent. At the end of the day, sh*t attracts flies - just like with the 100+ people brawl recently.
So you are saying downtown is shit and attracts these types of people? Some people are just shitheads looking for trouble regardless of the location. And this type of shit happens in the burbs too, just hang out on a street where teenagers like to throw house parties, there are usually a few brawls and the cops end up showing up, hopefully before it gets out of control.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 5:57 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Lol like shootin fish in a barrel for Suburbia

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 6:44 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Update:

Someone delete this stupid thread.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 7:00 PM

The thread is relevant, the direction some people try to take the thread is a different story.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 8:07 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

You guys are just far too easily trolled I expect there will always be more crime in the innercity specifically because a) it tends to be a drinking destination with a larger concentration of drinkers than any particular area in the burbs and b) a greater concentration of the homeless etc due to concentration of services and c) just a greater concentration of people in general so gross # of incidents (rather than per capita) should be expected to be greater.

Just a fact of life and math. On the flip side compared to the suburbs there tends to also be a great concentration of retail, entertainment amenties, and cute hipster ladies.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 8:48 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Update in an old case:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/of...409/story.html

Quote:
A convicted sex offender who admitted he took a 10-year old girl from a Calgary mall and drove her to Airdrie before releasing her last year has agreed to be declared a dangerous offender.
Boy, those suburban malls and commuter communities seem to be teeming with sex perverts. I suppose that's what attracts pedophiles to the suburban lifestyle, lots of young children around as potential victims.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 10:45 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
Update in an old case:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/of...409/story.html

Boy, those suburban malls and commuter communities seem to be teeming with sex perverts. I suppose that's what attracts pedophiles to the suburban lifestyle, lots of young children around as potential victims.
Yeah, and virtually no one on the streets which makes it really unsafe.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 12:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
So you are saying downtown is shit and attracts these types of people? Some people are just shitheads looking for trouble regardless of the location. And this type of shit happens in the burbs too, just hang out on a street where teenagers like to throw house parties, there are usually a few brawls and the cops end up showing up, hopefully before it gets out of control.
I was a pinch over the top there but i think the brawl example was a good one where bad behavior seemed to bubble to the top. 100 is huge!

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
You guys are just far too easily trolled I expect there will always be more crime in the innercity specifically because a) it tends to be a drinking destination with a larger concentration of drinkers than any particular area in the burbs and b) a greater concentration of the homeless etc due to concentration of services and c) just a greater concentration of people in general so gross # of incidents (rather than per capita) should be expected to be greater.

Just a fact of life and math. On the flip side compared to the suburbs there tends to also be a great concentration of retail, entertainment amenties, and cute hipster ladies.
You're bang on. what you've presented is simply a matter of fact.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 1:00 AM

Quote:
I was a pinch over the top there but i think the brawl example was a good one where bad behavior seemed to bubble to the top. 100 is huge!
And how many of that 100 were raised in the burbs? I bet over 60%.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 2:29 AM
Here and There

Quote:
You are so obsessed with safety. Do you kids run around in safety bubbles?

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
You are so obsessed with safety. Do you kids run around in safety bubbles?
They don't need safety bubbles, they live in the Suburbs. Duh.

I did see some guy driving a minivan down 11th Ave. the other day with a terrified look on his face and his kids in Hazmat suits. Was that you Suburbia? I waved.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 1:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
They don't need safety bubbles, they live in the Suburbs. Duh.

I did see some guy driving a minivan down 11th Ave. the other day with a terrified look on his face and his kids in Hazmat suits. Was that you Suburbia? I waved.
Folks. Being concerned about brawls with upwards of 100 people and random / unprovoked acts of violence that may result in someones death are serious concerns. Crime in Calgary, in the grand scheme of things, is low, however, it is wrong to not think having a pulse on the matter is of importance to the city.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 2:43 PM
not a NIMBY

I just heard on CTV that last night a guy started a car on fire on 10th Ave at 4th St SW. The police caught him, released him, and he went on to allegedly start 2 more car fires before being caught again!

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
And how many of that 100 were raised in the burbs? I bet over 60%.
Doesn't matter where they are born, it is where the acts themselves take place that Suburbia is highlighting.

Maybe a very stretched analogy to this is as follows: American soldiers are having (had) some brutal battles in Iraq and Afghanistan. But, since the soldiers were born in the US, the US must be the dangerous place?

Look, I am not trying to say the inner city is a dangerous place (I live and work in it, and never feel threatened). Suburbia is just providing articles and facts about incidents that are quite troubling that take place here. Yes, they happen in the suburbs too, so why not post those articles too if you feel the need to make sure there is balance. It is not up to suburbia to do it all, and if you do think it is all up to him, don't be disappointed with whatever spin he puts on it.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:08 PM
Here and There

Small cities in Alberta are SO unsafe. Drug bust after drug bust.......shootouts, triple murders.......RCMP double murders. Dont raise your kids in these small towns. SO unsafe!!!!

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:26 PM
Home of Hyperchange

This conversation is bizarre to the point of surrealism.

I can't think of any urbanized area where crime isn't higher in the core areas. As Dizzy points out, this is a natural effect of having density. It's like being surprised (or offended, depending on the poster) when someone points out that a city of 100,000 people has more crime than a homestead of 5. No duh? And why get so offended by it? It's an inevitable consequence of having more people around.

Crime RATES per capita would be much more telling. From what little I know, Calgary's overall rates are so low as to be statistical noise in most cities. I think other than Forest Lawn/Dover, there really isn't any area in Calgary with a noticeably higher crime rate.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
This conversation is bizarre to the point of surrealism.

I can't think of any urbanized area where crime isn't higher in the core areas. As Dizzy points out, this is a natural effect of having density. It's like being surprised (or offended, depending on the poster) when someone points out that a city of 100,000 people has more crime than a homestead of 5. No duh? And why get so offended by it? It's an inevitable consequence of having more people around.

Crime RATES per capita would be much more telling. From what little I know, Calgary's overall rates are so low as to be statistical noise in most cities. I think other than Forest Lawn/Dover, there really isn't any area in Calgary with a noticeably higher crime rate.
This pretty much sums it up.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:38 PM
The City That Moves

1. I've noticed that City of Calgary is now reporting social disorder and physical disorder and no longer mischief in the community statistics. Not sure why the change was made...

2. Wondering how City of Calgary handles Ubu Lounge owners (brawl) or Ice N Fire (shooting). If community associations could nominate problem businesses to reduce operating hours perhaps this could help mitigate some of these issues. Does the City of Calgary have an "enforcement ladder" for business owners when high frequency or high severity issues arise?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy