HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:30 AM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:42 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/LosAngeles/...n_multifamily/

Posted this in the DTLA thread as well. Everyone should read this, it gives a great overview as to why housing is so expensive in LA.

Aside from writing our representatives, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to push for changes that address the issues outlined in this post? Does anyone know to what degree they are being addressed through the zoning re-write?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 2:49 AM

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 2:30 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I'd like to see just one of these KTown towers actually start construction. So much potential here, but so far in the highrise game, we haven't seen much action. Love the location of this one, though.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 7:17 PM
dazzle me

one of the k-town towers is finishing up right now: 3033 Wilshire Boulevard.

but yeah, agree that it's mostly the low/midrise that's getting built. over the next 3-4 years though, assuming demand carries on, k-town should be significantly transformed.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 8:31 PM

From the last couple of days

9200 Wilshire

8000 Beverly

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 11:34 PM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:43 PM

Hi everyone, I have a few photos that I took over the past two weekends that I forgot to share. Mostly focused on Hollywood and Koreatown projects, and most of them are smaller in scale.

Hollywood projects:
1840 N. Highland Avenue #1 - 7/7/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

1840 N. Highland Avenue #2 - 7/7/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

1737 N. Las Palmas Avenue #1 - 7/7/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

1737 N. Las Palmas Avenue #2 - 7/7/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

1751 N. Las Palmas Avenue - 7/7/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

1755 Argyle Avenue #1 - 7/7/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

1755 Argyle Avenue #2 - 7/7/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

1755 Argyle Avenue #3 - 7/7/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

1800 Argyle Avenue (Argyle Hotel) - 7/7/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

6200 Hollywood Boulevard (Eastown Phase 2) - 7/7/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

Koreatown:
407 N. Ardmore Avenue - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

340 N. Oxford Avenue - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

4733 Oakwood Avenue - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

4807-4811 Oakwood Avenue - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

4814 Oakwood Avenue - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

The single family residence that was previously on this lot was cleared last year. So far no signs of activity.
4826 Oakwood Avenue - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

Four single family residences were cleared from this site months ago. No activity has occurred since.
4833-4847 Oakwood Avenue #1 - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

4833-4847 Oakwood Avenue #2 - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

Trio of developments, with the middle one being completed less than a year ago. Looking forward to seeing this when all are completed.
5016-5036 Rosewood Avenue #1 - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

5016-5036 Rosewood Avenue #2 - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

A few month ago, all of the houses on this stretch of Wilton, between Maplewood and Clinton, have been fenced off. I recall reading on Curbed of a major development proposed here, but not sure if that's still moving forward.
501-543 N. Wilton Place - 7/14/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:10 PM

Sometimes, due to rent control rules, a developer has to wait 5 years to develop a previously rent controlled property to avoid rent control on the new development so that may be a reason why some lots just sit fenced for years

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:14 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Marriott Edition, West Hollywood

IMG_4762 by Blake Alexander, on Flickr

IMG_4760 by Blake Alexander, on Flickr

IMG_4761 by Blake Alexander, on Flickr

IMG_4763 by Blake Alexander, on Flickr

IMG_4765 by Blake Alexander, on Flickr

IMG_4766 by Blake Alexander, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:03 AM

Thanks for the update Juan. I was curious about those projects over on Oakwood and Rosewood.

On Las Palmas the complex proposed to replace the 2 story building in between the two new ones was rejected by the planning commission Thursday according to the LA tenants Union's twitter. It's unfortunate because that was a really well designed project with less than 1 parking space per unit, ground floor retail and good density (70 units). It was rejected because the project was replacing 15 rent controlled units and include only 7 low income units and existing tenants did not have the right of return. The landlord was also accused of mistreating tenants. Councilman O'Farrell supported its rejection too. Hopefully the project can still go forward if the developer makes 15 units affordable and gives tenants the right of return.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 5:00 AM

Not really development related, but the Getty made a huge acquistion. In addition to the acquistion of arguably the best Parmigianino outside Italy which just passed the British export ban limit last month, they just announced a huge cache of drawing (16 total) that include Michaelangelo, Parmigianino, Del Sarto, Rubens, Goya, Degas and another Watteau painting (though not as great as the one they bought a few years ago). Estimated worth? Likely over $100 million as the museum director says it’s their biggest financial acquisiton yet. 4 drawings are still vulnerable to the export ban. Hopefully, it’s none of the names I’ve mentioned.

Getty Museum Buys Art

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Not really development related, but the Getty made a huge acquistion.
As the Met stagnates, the Getty continues to increase its influence in the art world.

I wonder if one day the Getty will expand to a third venue, one where they could showcase their photography collection.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:22 AM

The photography collection is the most obvious area that could branch off for a third location. Supposedly 40-50% of visitors come to the Getty Center for the photography exhibits according to this 11 year old article below, which is eye-opening if that number still holds today. Still, having part of the Getty down in the city, rather than on top, makes sense for their one and only contemporary curatorial area. It would also make the museum seem less aloof, and more engaged with the city below.

James Cuno and Timothy Potts are such a great fit for the Getty museum. The Getty might not have squandered those years under Barry Munitz, passing up the opportunities that have made the Kimbell Museum so great with only a fraction of Getty's endowment. After Munitz left, Getty acquired a Gaugin, arguably the best examples in the country by Turner, Watteau, Manet, Bernini, and one of the earliest Rembrandt self-portraits. But the Getty's weird governing structure still makes the museum vulnerable once Cuno and Potts move on. The Getty is so close to having an indisputably great paintings collection. I can see it reaching that point some time in the next 10-20 years, assuming 1 major acquisition a year as they've been doing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/13/ar...pagewanted=all

EDIT: The Getty plans to put the Parmigianino on view next week. They just did a live feed about the painting on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vid...xt=0&width=560

Last edited by ocman; Jul 23, 2017 at 9:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
The photography collection is the most obvious area that could branch off for a third location.

[...] But the Getty's weird governing structure still makes the museum vulnerable once Cuno and Potts move on. The Getty is so close to having an indisputably great paintings collection. I can see it reaching that point some time in the next 10-20 years, assuming 1 major acquisition a year as they've been doing.
I would not be surprised if internal discussions have begun on the subject of expanding to a third venue. And though my desire for symmetry would prefer that the Getty find a site on another LA hill with a great view to go with the hill sites with great views it already has, I think you're right. It would be a good thing for the Getty to engage the city below. With the subway coming to its doorstop, it really wouldn't have to go far. A ground floor site near the Hammer would create another cultural cluster in the city that would be very accessible to the public.

As to Getty Board, I think they learned their lesson. Plus, Pott's and Cuno's tenure at the Getty are not synchronous. That's a good thing. At least, one of them will be around to select the other's replacement.

As a whole, it is already a great collection, arguably one of the world's best photography, manuscript, and drawing collections. Like you, I think they can fill the holes in the painting collection in the next 10 to 20 years. The big private money today is chasing contemporary art or slowly cashing in its old master holdings. The Getty really has no museum rival that can match their purchasing power in the old master market or their ability to identify works in private collections that might be sale. All of that bodes well for the growth and increasing quality of the painting collection.

(It is an existing time to be in LA with all the things that are developing. The Getty is a significant part of that.)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Thanks for the update User2468, especially the smaller neighborhood projects which are vital to preserve affordability.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:50 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Gas station at the northeast corner of Melrose/Highland to be razed for 19 new apartments:

https://la.curbed.com/2017/7/25/1602...and-apartments

http://vanosarchitects.com/highland-m.html

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:44 AM

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 7:53 AM

Trying to get my bearing around shooting some of the outside-DTLA projects. Is there anything starchitect / large that I am missing in this list?

1755 Argyle

Blvd 6200

5100 Wilshire Blvd

727 Cloverdale Avenue

Academy Museum

6250 Wilshire Blvd

San Vicente + Fairfax

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:40 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Century Plaza Towers, but they're still in the final stages of demo of the parking garage, so likely nothing visually that interesting. I walk by it once a week and haven't felt compelled to grab a picture of it in a couple of months.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations