HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isangpogi View Post
Its rough to lose an airline, but at least we're not losing service altogether to LAX. United will continue to provide service. And maybe, just maybe, this will pave the way for Alaska Horizon to start up BOI-LAX again.....
I kind of doubt it. If Alaska does it again, it will probably be with SkyWest, or way down the road when an Alaska jet can do the route.

Delta could try this again too. They've been kind of building up LAX. Them and SkyWest already have plenty of people to take care of a flight or two to LAX out of Boise. They did it before, but that is when there were a ton of flights to SoCal (United, Horizon and Delta to LAX, ExpressJet to Ontario).

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 9:48 AM

Quote:
I'd like to add a follow-up question... What IS an "International Airport?" Many cities half Boise's size have airports called "international" but have zero international service. For example, Missoula, MT and Casper, WY. Is it just the name of an airport or is there a qualification to be able to call one's airport an international airport.
From my Understanding and from what I read a while back. Correct me if I'm wrong. But from my understanding an International Airport is any airport with Costumes and Border Protection. and doesn't necessarily have to have the word international In it's name.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 9:51 AM

Quote:
I'm reading up on it too, to try and answer my own question... Seems there is a discrepancy between the amount of international airports in this country and airports with service to international destinations.

If we're talking about cities with international service then there are many larger than Boise without it. Many of those still call themselves international airports. For example, El Paso International Airport, despite close proximity to Mexico, has no international service. Albuquerque (metro pop. 900,000) also has a airport titled international with no international service, same with Tuscon (980,000), Birmingham (1.1 mil) and Jacksonville (1.3 mil).

Omaha's (metro pop. 885,000) Eppley Airfield neither calls itself international nor has any international service.

Conversely, Detroit's "Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport" has no mention of international in its name but is served by Air Canada, Lufthansa and Air France, in addition to international service by Delta to Asia, Europe and Central America.

So it seems to me that the only difference between an international airport and a non-international airport is the instructions the given to the guys who make the sign

Boise Airport is a "landing rights airport," meaning US Customs and Border Patrol are on hand to process private international flights, but must be notified 3 or more hours in advance of intentions to land. Weekends and evenings are "by appointment only," according to BOI's website.
and to that from what i think I'm not sure though is that in order as well to be called an international airport you don't need to constantly give permission to international flights one by one to land on your runway. but it's conflicting though because on the Idaho army national guard website it calls the BOI the Boise International Airport. so to tell you the truth i'm confused about this as well. and I do wish that BOI would be called an international Airport. But that's just me.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 5:33 PM

Ya, I always see people on my Facebook check in at the "Boise International Airport". I just kind of chuckle about it.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 2:59 AM

More bad news for BOI. SeaPort is pulling its BOI-IDA service. I never thought this was going to last long, $350 round trips were ridiculous for this route. I'm assuming this is also going to mean the end of Boise-Pendleton.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/business/Ai...134994103.html

So to start off 2012, we will be losing 6 routes. Southwest is ending BOI-SEA, BOI-SLC and BOI-RNO. American is pulling out entirely, taking with it BOI-LAX. And now SeaPort's 2... We desperately need some good news here!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:28 AM

Quote:
More bad news for BOI. SeaPort is pulling its BOI-IDA service. I never thought this was going to last long, $350 round trips were ridiculous for this route. I'm assuming this is also going to mean the end of Boise-Pendleton.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/business/Ai...134994103.html

So to start off 2012, we will be losing 6 routes. Southwest is ending BOI-SEA, BOI-SLC and BOI-RNO. American is pulling out entirely, taking with it BOI-LAX. And now SeaPort's 2... We desperately need some good news here!
Seat wise American Eagle and SeaPort aren't a big deal...maybe a 100 seats per day together. The Southwest cuts are a big deal.

As far as LA service goes, I think because so many people in the Boise Area are from SoCal, LAX is not always used because anyone from down here knows to avoid it. Many people rather connect somewhere than take a non-stop and deal with the drive, parking, lines, confusion and rude employees. If the LA Area had only one airport, there would probably be several flights a day from Boise. United still has their twice daily service to LAX. There are plenty of connections from virtually every SoCal airport to Boise.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:41 AM
Dare Mighty Things

The market will correct itself. With the cuts, we might be a tad underserved, but I doubt it will be long before other airlines fill the gaps where needed.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:22 PM

BOI isn't losing 6 routes. It is losing 3 routes, and only one of those (RNO) has enough passengers to qualify as a Top 20 BOI market. LAX (UA), SLC (DL) & SEA (AS) will continue to be served by other carriers. WN is ending service to RNO, SLC & SEA because of a lack of consistent customer demand on routes it has served for 15-years. Those decisions aren't made lightly, and it is an indication the BOI market continues to suffer from sluggish demand for air travel. If there were more travelers, I suspect these WN routes would not be going away. The local economy is to blame.

As for SeaPort, I commend them for trying the route at all. Fuel costs are incredibly steep right now, and the airline only has 9-seats to cover its operating costs. While some may think the fares it was charging were too high, that's not necessarily so for business travelers, which is who the flights were meant to appeal to. The true cost of a 4-5 hour drive each way plus lodging, gas, meals, etc. is what the fare is aligning next to. And, it became possible to conduct business in one day, flying over in the morning and back in the evening. At some point, there will be another carrier flying the route, or SeaPort may return.

The "GOOD NEWS" would be for the price of oil to retreat along with putting a solid dent in the local unemployment rate. Those two things would result in more flights and more demand for those flights. One or the other would trigger growth, but both would lead to even more. Let's see what 2012 has in store for BOI.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 6:46 PM

Greenbelt news.

Sounds like the Garden City mayor has lustful desires towards Eagle's mayor lol.

Garden City Mayor to Eagle Mayor: Screw You!
Posted by Andrew Crisp on Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 9:20 AM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...ayor-screw-you

The ongoing battle over bicycle access to a stretch of the Greenbelt in Garden City continues.

In response to an Oct. 25 letter from Eagle Mayor Jim Reynolds, neighboring Garden City pooh-poohed efforts to bring the two together for talks. The issue? A mile and a half of Greenbelt barred to cyclists that supporters call a nature path. Critics like the Citizens for an Open Greenbelt call it discriminatory.

Evans and the Garden City City Council responded to Reynolds on Nov. 16, stating that they "have no interest in discussing a change in the status of our Nature Path." Furthermore, they say that allowing bicycle use on that portion of riverside property would "have a direct and adverse impact on Garden City, Eagle, Boise, Ada County and Canyon County residents that regularly use the path for their recreation purposes."

The letter (read the full text here) instead asks that Eagle send a little money their way:

"Our pathway-related resources continue to be focused on a north/south pedestrian/bicycle bridge immediately upstream of the river split at Eagle Island. ... We would welcome your support for that project both in the form of a resolution and a financial commitment on your part."

After a preliminary hearing on Dec. 15, COG and Garden City head to Ada County court on Feb. 15.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Garden City City Council
Anyone else think this sounds weird? I think they also call the building they work in the Garden City City Hall!

As for the subject at hand, while it would have been nice to have a proper Greenbelt stretch through that disputed area, that ship has sailed. A similar controversy happened years ago on the south side in SE Boise that was even worse than this.

Garden City is right--it's time to get that bridge at the Eagle Island split complete. Once that happens there will be a decent enough connection to the Eagle city limits. There are better fights to pick for more needed bike paths than this one.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 6:16 AM

^^Gotta slightly disagree. I think a precedent needs to be set that the Greenbelt should be open to all, and needs to be fought to the end. Boise should set an example by opening the SE section to bikes as well. The main point of prohibiting bikes in the SE Boise section was to preserve wildlife nesting habitat, but having lived right next to it, I noticed that since there were no bikes, everyone just brought their dogs back there to run around free with no leashes, which I can rightfully assume is far more detrimental to wildlife than a bike coasting silently past.....just my thought.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
^^Gotta slightly disagree. I think a precedent needs to be set that the Greenbelt should be open to all, and needs to be fought to the end. Boise should set an example by opening the SE section to bikes as well. The main point of prohibiting bikes in the SE Boise section was to preserve wildlife nesting habitat, but having lived right next to it, I noticed that since there were no bikes, everyone just brought their dogs back there to run around free with no leashes, which I can rightfully assume is far more detrimental to wildlife than a bike coasting silently past.....just my thought.
I agree with you on the essentials. In reality, I just think there are better battles to fight out there.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 5:07 AM

Hey here's something interesting... It's an Alaska Air route map from 1990. Notice how Boise was a focus city then and was accessible from Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, Pocatello, Sun Valley, Lewiston and Moscow. Also, Alaska used to fly a lot of point to Point routes, like Southwest does now.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ap-1990-a.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 5:30 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
... everyone just brought their dogs back there to run around free with no leashes, which I can rightfully assume is far more detrimental to wildlife than a bike coasting silently past.....just my thought.
Can't agree with this more. Bikes are banned but not dogs? To be fair, some commuter cyclists go way too fast for conditions at times, thus the backlash towards cyclists. This summer I biked the SE section just for the heck of it. I was prepared for an argument but of the dozen or so I encountered no one said a word. Half of those I encountered had dogs off leash.

Regarding the comparison of the SE Boise section and the Garden City section, they seem similar at first but there are significant differences in how they got developed. The SE section was already in private ownership. The GC section was not. It was owned by the State and deeded over to the developer in one of those crazy menage a trois land deals. The SE section has a reasonable alternate on the north bank, the GC section has no reasonable alternate.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
The SE section has a reasonable alternate on the north bank, the GC section has no reasonable alternate.
There will be a reasonable alternative once they build the bridge over the Eagle Island divergence.

I'm in agreement with both of you over the dogs/bikes dichotomy, though. The "nature path" efforts have just been a way to shield a different form of NIMBYism. Especially in the SE Boise area, it could have been very easy to make both a paved bike path and a dirt path where bikes are forbidden.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 3:26 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Interesting find in the future schedules (but it's by no means set in stone as it's still a bit far out and Delta frequently changes their daily schedule). From March 2nd to April 9th, Delta will be operating one daily 757 flight between Boise and Salt Lake City. They put the 757 in the schedule from BOI-SLC for a single day on, IIRC, April 3rd, 2011. Next year it's on for over a month.

The 757 is the largest passenger airliner ever operated into Boise on a regular scheduled basis. The only time it's ever been operated as regular service:

2002 - North American Airlines (chartered by Hawaiian Vacations) one weekly flight to Maui
2011 - Delta's lone scheduled flight last year to SLC
2012 - Delta again, this time on a daily basis for a month.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Interesting find in the future schedules (but it's by no means set in stone as it's still a bit far out and Delta frequently changes their daily schedule). From March 2nd to April 9th, Delta will be operating one daily 757 flight between Boise and Salt Lake City. They put the 757 in the schedule from BOI-SLC for a single day on, IIRC, April 3rd, 2011. Next year it's on for over a month.

The 757 is the largest passenger airliner ever operated into Boise on a regular scheduled basis. The only time it's ever been operated as regular service:

2002 - North American Airlines (chartered by Hawaiian Vacations) one weekly flight to Maui
2011 - Delta's lone scheduled flight last year to SLC
2012 - Delta again, this time on a daily basis for a month.
Hey cool find... I wonder why they're using the 757 for this month only? Is there a historical surge in SLC-BOI traffic in March or are they reducing flights and using the 757 to make up for the lost capacity? Or maybe it's a test to see if the route can support an increase in capacity....

I noticed also the other day that Delta flew an MD90 into Boise as opposed to their usual A320 and CRJs...

An airline needs to make building loyalty in Boise a goal. I think the only airline really committed to serving Boise right now is AS/QX. Their Q400's are perfect for the Boise market.

With the recent shake ups at BOI, here's my revised wish list for 2012:
Reinstating DL to ATL
Mainline AS service to SEA
QX bringing back BOI-IDA and BOI-LAX
UA to IAH

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 11:49 PM

DL's B757 originator to SLC looks like a go. And, it may operate beyond April. Better schedule to MSP also, hopefully year-round. More to come for summer.

Compass will be operating the E175 (12F/64Y) on select flights to SLC & MSP as DL Connection starting next month. Great aircraft and even more comfy than mainline in many respects. May not last @ BOI for long, but hope to see them regularly for a while.

Resumption of DL to ATL: highly unlikely to happen anytime soon..
AS Mainline to SEA: always an option for AS, and a logical one!
AS return to IDA & LAX: IDA - don't see it happening..LAX - not for a while, if ever..
UA to IAH: UA has several routes on the IAH expansion list ahead of BOI..and, UA is in a no-growth mode currently. That means probably a 2-3 year wait.

As for loyalty, the only thing that an airline wants from that loyalty is a profitable operation. I certainly wouldn't say AS/QX is committed to serving BOI. Take a look at the level of service it operated here barely 3-years ago vs today. Literally a 50% decline in flights and seats. Still a major force, but a fraction of what once was (in the not-so-distant past). A few percentage points of market share will return starting next month with the addition of 2-daily SEA flights as Southwest exits the market.

The recent shake-up is one which hopefully will strengthen the remainder of the service @ BOI and the airport can begin growing again in 2012. The economy has to improve, though! Otherwise, it's going to continue to be an uphill battle.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 7:11 AM

Flew Delta to BOI, all the flights were full, but I suppose that was just the holidays. Maybe in the future they could do LAX again? They codeshare with Alaska and Virgin Australia, so plenty of connections and more loyalty in Boise than American...I would assume.

I think Alaska dropped mainline service more for fleet optimization than losing money. Just more money elsewhere. So maybe as they have more aircraft available it will make more sense. I also noticed that Alaska moved one of the new Seattle flights to Portland, so summer will be 8 to SEA and 5 to PDX.

01/18...looks like Horizon is adding intra California flights and Reno. Maybe if the San Jose-Reno flights do well they could add Boise-Reno.

Last edited by boi2socal; Jan 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 11:25 PM
Dare Mighty Things

I would actually be mildly surprised if AS/QX didn't eventually jump on BOI-RNO. It's a route with a considerable amount of traffic, but right now not enough to fill 2 737s. 2 daily Q400s would be perfect for that market, in my opinion.

Here's something interesting I found today. Anyone know more about this?

http://www.hdrinc.com/portfolio/bois...ction-facility

Closely studying the rendering, it appears this is in the location of what eventually will be Concourse A (and I recall reading in a recent airport commission meeting minutes that the future Concourse A would have a customs and border facility directly under the concourse, which the rendering makes sense). It also says "Planning for a future ramp and jet bridge, passenger concourse and an aircraft parking apron were also included." Could this be the very first peak as to what the architecture of Concourse A will look like?

The thing I'm not sure about is how concrete this is, whether this is anything official or just a study.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West