HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 7:16 PM

I am sure we will find out more once the 45 day period has passed, the render in the LFP doesn't look bad not great either however my fear as others have posted is that it gets approved and he then somehow builds a 25 story concrete box.

Either way chances are this will get the go ahead which is positive for London's downtown...add this to the proposal on Wellington and with the Renaissance II finishing up soon the core is going to have quite the boost in the next 2-3 years

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 8:32 PM
London Aficionado

Farhi will not build that.

This is the 4th tower proposal we've seen from Farhi in the past 10+ years, none of which have ever progressed past the 'dream' stage. Farhi had to show what could happen on that lot on Queens to justify the demolition of the Heritage home that is currently 'in the way'.

Farhi has shown us plans for the following, with no action ever taken - 1) a glass condo tower at the former Central Library, 2) a residential tower in the middle of the block bounded by Central-Wellington-Hyman-Richmond, 3) a residential tower overlooking Harris Park, just North of the Harriston, on the west side of Ridout.

As I said, this is the 4th proposal, and aside from wanting to get in on the condo/apartment residential boom downtown, I see no reason for Farhi to build anything with all the vacant space he currently has downtown alone.

It's not happening, IMO. I'll change my tune if I see a Site Plan application... but I'm not holding my breath.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 8:56 PM

Farhi got himself a $50 design software program at Best Buy and made that render of the new building. Look at the design in the Free Press. It's not a real proposal and it won't get built. I don't trust this guy at all and we will get another "Campeau" project if council passes this - if you remember Campeau had grand plans to build tall structures and a mall where the JLC is now. They demolished the Talbot block (real heritage) and then built nothing. It was a joke.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Looks like the Harriston's twisted brother.
I'm with you. That rendering looks pretty nasty.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:01 AM
bro

Oh Farhi. Here's another vote for this being some attempt to demolish a building standing in the way of surface parking. I'd love to see a building on this site, but I'm not really feelin' any of this proposal. We all know the house could be incorporated into the proposal if the will to do it was there.

I went outside to take a picture of the house. It's been stuccoed and has a fairly horrid addition, but it's still a handsome house that I'd be upset to see go. Queens has very few of its beautiful homes left (west of Wellington) and I'd hate to see one of the last demolished.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 1:36 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Mr. Surfaceparking Fahri strikes again.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Now if we could only get Farhi to get a proposal going for a high rise condo on the multiple downtown riverfront lots he owns here! I'm certainly not holding my breath in anticipation!

Cheers to London though if this goes through for you guys.
I agree north 42!

Grats to London if it happens!

Ouch, I just saw the house, it's really nice! It would be sad to see it go.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondnPlanr View Post
As I said, this is the 4th proposal, and aside from wanting to get in on the condo/apartment residential boom downtown, I see no reason for Farhi to build anything with all the vacant space he currently has downtown alone.

It's not happening, IMO. I'll change my tune if I see a Site Plan application... but I'm not holding my breath.
I do not trust the guy either...however I do think he needs to be part of the downtown before before he slowly gets pushed out. I hope IF the city approves the demolition of this building they put something in place to make sure something is built not just another parking lot.

I am not sure why but to me this proposal seems a lot more serious than his past...also the situation is a little different now so I am hoping that is positive.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 3:07 PM
User Registered

A little more news about it today from the LFP not nothing exciting: http://www.lfpress.com/2012/09/25/he...199-queens-ave

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 4:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

eats shoots and leaves versus eats, shoots, and leaves.

Farhi plans highrise parking, versus Farhi plans highrise, parking.

watch out for smooth Schmuel.

Quote:
“I’m doing it because I care for heritage,” a fired-up Farhi said Tuesday
Bullshit. You are doing it for the bottom line. No problem, so long as London also wins when Farhi wins.

isn't that building the London Club?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 5:17 PM

I agree with what was said in the article, "get it in writing" make sure this is not simply a 3 story parking garage.

Maybe for a change he will surprise us....

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 5:44 PM

Would love to see him up this to 30 - 35 floors (say 320 feet) - would be a perfect bridge between the >300 footers of W downtown and the >300 footers of E downtown. And hopefully lots of glass and a non-rectangular flloor shape (curvy would be cool but I'd settle for square).

I know I am the ertenal optimist/dreamer for this "always underbuild" town (e.g. I think the Heath Unit site should get a nice 45 floor residential and the W side of the Queens-Ridout-Talbot should get nice 42 and 32 residentials - the E side can be the new City Hall)...

Truth is you gotta go high to get the downtown pop density everyone is hoping for!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 9:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

45 storeys only? Hell lets go for 95 storeys.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Farhi got himself a $50 design software program at Best Buy and made that render of the new building. Look at the design in the Free Press. It's not a real proposal and it won't get built. I don't trust this guy at all and we will get another "Campeau" project if council passes this - if you remember Campeau had grand plans to build tall structures and a mall where the JLC is now. They demolished the Talbot block (real heritage) and then built nothing. It was a joke.
It was Campeau that built the Galleria. It was Cambridge Properties that were going to do the site that is now the JLC.

That said, Campeau promised a 25 story tower as part of the galleria. It was to go where the current "reading garden" is for the library.

The Cambridge plans for the Talbot Block were really quite nice: a big mall and two 30 or 35 story towers. The towers sort of looked like the Canada Trust tower in downtown Toronto. Campeau got in first though on the retail side, and OLP got in and pulled the office tower market away. Then the 1990 recession came, real estate fell apart, and the Cambridge plan didn't have a hope in hell.

The one positive was that eventually the land would house the JLC, and in the end that has wound up a lot better for the city than another dead downtown mall and unnecessary office towers.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 4:50 AM
Sanity merchant

Long-delayed nursing home project under construction

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/01/lo...r-construction

Officials will break ground this week for a new London nursing home, the construction a vote of confidence after years of delays.

Primacare Living Solutions Inc. actually began work on the 192-bed long-term care home in June and Friday will bring in politicians eager to trumpet good news after years of tough times.

Henley Place was first announced in 2007 and was scheduled to open in 2010, a plan dashed by a global recession that hit especially hard in Southwestern Ontario.

“The 2008 recession really knocked the plans off the rails,” said Jill Knowlton, managing director of long-term care operations for Primacare Living Solutions.

The economy has recovered enough to warrant going ahead with the new nursing home that will employ 300 people, she said.

That’s no doubt music to the eras of attendees at the groundbreaking who are expected to include Ontario Health Minister Deb Matthews, Energy Minister Chris Bentley and Mayor Joe Fontana.

“This will bring growth to our economy. We are pleased to welcome them and to know their expertise will become a part of the landscape of our caring and compassionate city,” Fontana said Monday in a news release.

The home is being built in northeast London at 1961 Cedarhollow Blvd. near Fanshawe Park Rd.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 2:35 PM
Sanity merchant

FYI - They're demolishing the barracks at Highbury / Dundas finally. It's almost completely down. Don;t sure what the next step is, but after being in the east end since I've moved to Canada in 88', this is the most dramatic thing missing.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 4:47 PM
London Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
FYI - They're demolishing the barracks at Highbury / Dundas finally. It's almost completely down. Don;t sure what the next step is, but after being in the east end since I've moved to Canada in 88', this is the most dramatic thing missing.
The land will be included with the neighbouring Psychiatric Hospital lands when it is all put up for sale/redevelopment.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 6:23 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondnPlanr View Post
The land will be included with the neighbouring Psychiatric Hospital lands when it is all put up for sale/redevelopment.
Ya I read that report. Looks like they're going to get it right, which is good since this is the first inner city land development project in quite a while.

----

Oh and a little update from me... drove past Southdale and Colonel Talbot today and there's a crane up for those new 16 story (?) condos. Construction for one is on the second floor, the other one seems to be finishing up the foundation work.

The rest of the area is... well big box stores and such. A TDCT just opened there, and other shops like a Sport Check and a National Bank are under construction at Wonderland and Bradley.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Scientist View Post
Would love to see him up this to 30 - 35 floors (say 320 feet) - would be a perfect bridge between the >300 footers of W downtown and the >300 footers of E downtown. And hopefully lots of glass and a non-rectangular flloor shape (curvy would be cool but I'd settle for square).

I know I am the ertenal optimist/dreamer for this "always underbuild" town (e.g. I think the Heath Unit site should get a nice 45 floor residential and the W side of the Queens-Ridout-Talbot should get nice 42 and 32 residentials - the E side can be the new City Hall)...

Truth is you gotta go high to get the downtown pop density everyone is hoping for!
You might get your wish. New article from lfp

By Chip Martin, The London Free Press

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:01:42 EDT PM

London landlord Shmuel Farhi is one step closer to building what could become the tallest building in downtown London. Planning committee authorized demolition Monday of a vacant 1870s-era home at 199 Queens Ave. he owns that stands in the way of his plans for a $50 million highrise he says would rise to 24 to 30 storeys. Farhi owns the home and said it stands in the way of a parking garage component of the residential and commercial structure, which would be his first ground-up project in the core. Farhi also needs an adjacent city-owned parking lot to make his venture fly and recently made an offer to buy it. Contacted in California, Farhi said the highrise would be a signature structure which he plans to name Queens Place. He owns dozens of buildings in the core and said the area is short of parking, which his new building will address.

He told city officials he wants the old building down and while it could be preserved at great expense, that was not part of his plan. Planning committee members were told a local heritage committee felt the building was not worth preserving. They were also told there is nothing the city can do to require Farhi to build the building he plans once the house is razed. “This is not a firm proposal at all,” warned city planner John Fleming, saying any “real plan” is likely some time in the future. The tallest buildings now in the core are One London Place and the Renaissance towers at 22 and 24 storeys.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 6:05 AM

“This is not a firm proposal at all,” warned city planner John Fleming, saying any “real plan” is likely some time in the future."

I think I've seen this show before. "Just approve my proposal for London's newest, tallest signature tower, which I won't be building. And yes, I will need the city's land to build this building, which I won't be building."

How many times do I have to watch this show?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates