HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
SoHo House

I *love* what SoHo House is doing here with this building.

Anyone else love this particular style of building? I wish that more builders would start building new condo/apartment buildings in this look and style. Hundreds of them, all thruout the city!!!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
So it looks as if part of New City's parking is going to actually be a few blocks away from it and not all right there? Building permit on 3/11 for a new 7 story parking structure on a vacant lot at 710 W Schiller (Sedgewick & Schiller). Architect is Jon Talty from OKW who is behind the New City architecture.
I'm not seeing any reasonable connection between the projects. According to google maps the distance between 710 W Schiller and the 'front door' of the NewCity project which is Halsted and Blackhawk is 0.8 miles. Any alternative routes are 1 mile.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:36 PM

They're demolishing the staircase at Roosevelt Collection to make way for the British School/rooftop park/sadness factory.

I'm stuck at home for a few days for health reasons, so I'm limited to makeshift spy cam. If someone wants to take a walk over there they could probably get some good shots, if smashed cement is your thing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:54 PM

Sheesh. The RC seems like a colossal mess of design modifications. I'm not aware of any project in chicago in recent memory that has demolished or altered a project this much after opening. All of these changes will make it far better, but that staircase wasn't cheap...or was that promenade thing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:37 PM

^Now if only they could do the same thing with Block 37, starting with the cheese graters, lol.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 6:05 PM
The City

Quote:
So it looks as if part of New City's parking is going to actually be a few blocks away from it and not all right there? Building permit on 3/11 for a new 7 story parking structure on a vacant lot at 710 W Schiller (Sedgewick & Schiller). Architect is Jon Talty from OKW who is behind the New City architecture.
Yeah, it seems too far from New City to make any sense.

In addition, I'm scratching my head because I don't see anything noteworthy (nearby shopping) that would explain this garage, especially one of this size. The only explanation that makes sense is car storage for nearby apartments/condo buildings, etc. It's too bad, as I generally hate garages, but at least it will occupy a vacant lot and add visual density & enclosure, if nothing else. I hope it doesn't look too shitty

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:19 PM

Riverwalk - March 21

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I'm not seeing any reasonable connection between the projects. According to google maps the distance between 710 W Schiller and the 'front door' of the NewCity project which is Halsted and Blackhawk is 0.8 miles. Any alternative routes are 1 mile.
The connection is in who's listed as the owner and also the architect between this and a handful of other permits. There are other permits for big, new construction listed as owner "1515 N. Halsted, LLC" around the New City site with the same architect and same owner as this parking structure.

1) 11/6/2013 | 1457 N Halsted | $2 million | "FOUNDATION AND SUBSTRUCTURE ONLY - CAISSONS, GRADE BEAMS, FOOTINGS FOUNDATION WALLS AND SLAB ON GRADE"

2) 3/7/2014 | 1500 N Clybourn | $26 Million | "3 STORY STEEL FRAMED MIXED-USE RETAIL, RESTUARANT, ASSEMBLY (MOVIE THEATER) BUILDING - CORE AND SHELL"

3) 3/12/2014 | 1538 N Clybourn | $1 Million | "CORE AND SHELL FOR NEW MIXED USE DEVELOPMENT AS PER PLANS"

All three of these are right around the New City development with an architect listed as Jon Palty from OKW and an owner "1515 N. Halsted, LLC". If you go to OKW's site, you'll see they're New City's architects (http://www.okwarchitects.com/work/new-city.aspx). The parking structure has the same exact owner as these and same exact architect. Personally I think #2 gives it away there.. restaurant, retail, and a movie theater at 1500 N Clybourn? That's New City.

Looks as if I'm not the only one to make the connection. Steven Vance also found it (http://www.stevencanplan.com/2014/us...re-working-on/)

Then there's this article by the Sun Times saying how 1515 N Halsted is the address of New City: http://www.suntimes.com/business/117...-clybourn.html

The parking structure is theirs - it's weird because it is far away but it's a big parking structure at 7 stories tall, and it belongs to the same owner as everything else which has an address as the exact same as the New City development. Either it's going there or the address is somehow wrong on the permit (which they'd have to get the actual street wrong since Schiller doesn't continue to Clybourn or Halsted)

Last edited by marothisu; Mar 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 8:24 PM
The City

^ The only other use I can think of for that garage in affiliation with New City is for valet parking. Of course, that's questionable since the garage in New City will already contain a lot of parking.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 8:35 PM

I think you may all be putting too much trust in Google's ability to locate addresses like 710 W Schiller on sections of street that don't exist yet.
If you look at 710 West on a street like Division, that goes all the way through, you'll see it's near Burling. And Schiller to the east of New City pretty much lines up with Eastman to the west. So 710 W Schiller is probably just an odd way of saying Burling and Eastman, which is where the garage for New City was shown in renderings.

I wonder if this a hint that Eastman, or at least the the east-west portion near New City, might be renamed Schiller.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
I think you may all be putting too much trust in Google's ability to locate addresses like 710 W Schiller on sections of street that don't exist yet.
If you look at 710 West on a street like Division, that goes all the way through, you'll see it's near Burling. And Schiller to the east of New City pretty much lines up with Eastman to the west. So 710 W Schiller is probably just an odd way of saying Burling and Eastman, which is where the garage for New City was shown in renderings.

I wonder if this a hint that Eastman, or at least the the east-west portion near New City, might be renamed Schiller.
*Excellent* points for sure and I'm apt to agree with your explanation. IF Eastman was extended east, then 710 Would be right east of Halsted right there. Eastman lines up directly with Schiller if it actually extended. I forget that Sedgwick is what, 400 W?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 8:58 PM

London Guarantee - Rehab

The sun shines through the empty rooms

Last edited by harryc; Mar 22, 2014 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 9:26 PM

That's the Crains communications or London guarantee building, not the Old Colony building. The Old Colony is located on Van Buren near the Library. Awesome shot though, thanks for the updates as always.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 9:46 PM

EDIT: -redundant-

Last edited by BWChicago; Mar 22, 2014 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 9:58 PM

Google Maps fails again - I was going to say that this garage would be a ways away from there. I guess now we know that they are really going to extend Eastman and probably rename it to Schiller, at least that section of it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post

Oh wow, I got totally schooled on this one. I should know my address blocks better. You are right, google typically uses the closest numerical address for a location that doesn't exist. So it's likely Schiller would be an extension or driveway to service the garage. So it will probably be an ancillary garage for New City, though still an unusual arrangement.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Google Maps fails again - I was going to say that this garage would be a ways away from there. I guess now we know that they are really going to extend Eastman and probably rename it to Schiller, at least that section of it.
That was my failure to not know my Chicago block numbers better. I'll never be a cab driver. I also always get Superior, Ontario, Huron, and Erie streets mixed up in River north and I've lived in the area for almost 5 years now.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
That was my failure to not know my Chicago block numbers better. I'll never be a cab driver. I also always get Superior, Ontario, Huron, and Erie streets mixed up in River north and I've lived in the area for almost 5 years now.
Ha my fault too. Sounds like we're twins when it comes to that..

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 3:41 AM

401 N Mich

Penthouse or mechanical ?

3/14

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 4:30 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Oh wow, I got totally schooled on this one. I should know my address blocks better. You are right, google typically uses the closest numerical address for a location that doesn't exist. So it's likely Schiller would be an extension or driveway to service the garage. So it will probably be an ancillary garage for New City, though still an unusual arrangement.
Right. New street on line with Eastman, but also (distantly) on line with Schiller.

1400N is one of those weird coordinates occupied by multiple streets, including Schiller, Eastman, and Hirsch. Schiller runs through the Gold Coast/Old Town and Wicker Park, though, so it's the most premier of the three. The CHA would like to extend this street via the short stub of Ogden across the former Near North High School to link up with Blackhawk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development