HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: 225 - 6th Ave: Like it, love it, hate it, meh?
Like it 85 66.93%
Love it 11 8.66%
Meh... 26 20.47%
Don't like it 5 3.94%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 4:36 AM
Website Manager

Like it

Will give Calgary more of a big city look

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 6:42 AM

I liked that render of that 70+ story job on page 1 was pretty nice! I didn't think a 950' + building would good there... but it does! And it isn't overwhelming to the surrounding buildings. Quite surprised.... Somebody call Brookfield!!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 5:48 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Sigh, it's days like today when a client asks to start a project called "225 6th Ave" that I wish I wasn't interested in development...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 5:58 PM

A pretty good proposal overall. I'm with most of you that the building could have been more imaginative, but all in all a nice looking design.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 7:51 PM
Editor

So about 2/3 of the folks like the design. That's about what I expected, although I did expect to see more negative votes from forumers in other cities, and was surprised not to see that. The 'Meh' votes were all from Calgarians.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 8:44 PM
SSP member:12,803

I like it. Add 20-25m and I'd love it!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalb View Post
I like it. Add 20-25m and I'd love it!
My thoughts too. I like it, but at it's height it would need to be a bit more interesting for me to love it, either that or make it break it the 900' mark.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
My thoughts too. I like it, but at it's height it would need to be a bit more interesting for me to love it, either that or make it break it the 900' mark.
I think you would have seen a pinch more height on HS had the Bow stuck to its pre-circumcision height. Perhaps the designers will rub the renders a bit before finally building.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
They should definitely rough in a station!
I can already hear the howls of "City building ghost subway station to no-where" beside Herald Square.

I don't see a need to have an unfinished and unused station built under 2nd St just because this block is being developed, but Brookfield could make provisions for the future Herald Square West Tower to have a future subterranean connection to a future subway station.

Are there current plans for anything underground other than parking, loading docks and bike storage?

This seems decades away, since they still gave to get the East tower done first.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 4:39 PM
Fake News

I voted like it because in spite of its apparent simplicity I can't seem to fully wrap my head around the design fully. I think that's a good thing. The rounded glass corners are interesting and I'm really excited to see more detailed renderings of the glass box garden area. My biggest complaint is that they didn't go taller so it would noticeably dominate the skyline. I figure from the north it will appear the same height as the Bow.

All in all my expectations were about as low as they could be so that didn't hurt either.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 5:02 PM
Majestic

Ultimately... meh...

I have little doubt that the final product will look pretty good and will fit into any major city. Right now, though, there's little that excites me about this proposal.

Additional renderings may affect my judgement.

Flickr

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 5:49 AM

Brookfield has or owns $20-30? billion in real estate in NA, so come on anther 5-6 floors.... or 900' would'nt hurt too much!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:31 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I figure from the north it will appear the same height as the Bow.
On the train around SAIT yesterday I was trying to visualize exactly where this sucker would stand. From my best guess, I think it's going to be an incredibly striking addition to the skyline from that vantage point.

We need one of our resident geniuses to mock up a skyline rendering from that angle.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:45 PM

I have to say that I am really surprised at how many likes this proposal is getting on here, especially from the Calgary forumers. Usually there is so much banter on here about design ingenuity and style that most would assume anything but a cover model for "Skyscraper Digest" would be considered a total catastrophe, especially since I really think we would have to assume that this will be the pinnacle of Calgary's downtown for years to come, if not decades, and we should hope for a lot more! Like I said before, it is a nice proposal but just not good enough for a site that could be so important.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:49 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I voted "Like it", having seen the DP with Surreal and Bo I will change to "love it" if all of the stuff we saw actually comes to fruition. The devil is in the details with this proposal, so proper follow-through on that will be the key.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
On the train around SAIT yesterday I was trying to visualize exactly where this sucker would stand. From my best guess, I think it's going to be an incredibly striking addition to the skyline from that vantage point.

We need one of our resident geniuses to mock up a skyline rendering from that angle.
I was doing the exact same thing this morning. And, I arrived at the same conclusion: This thing will look amazing from that general area.

Anyhoo: Paging Ctrl+Alt+Del! Care to indulge us?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 6:49 PM
Editor

Yep, I voted 'love it' based on the renderings we saw. If I had only seen the two renderings shown on SSP so far, I would go with 'like it'. Let's hope the design doesn't get watered down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I voted "Like it", having seen the DP with Surreal and Bo I will change to "love it" if all of the stuff we saw actually comes to fruition. The devil is in the details with this proposal, so proper follow-through on that will be the key.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
I was doing the exact same thing this morning. And, I arrived at the same conclusion: This thing will look amazing from that general area.

Anyhoo: Paging Ctrl+Alt+Del! Care to indulge us?
This weekend!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 2:28 PM

I have to say that the taller, single tower design works for me. As has been mentioned the twinning of towers in Calgary has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous!! They`re everywhere!!! Also, we need something that will detract attention from that huge, monolithic Bow tower which really does overwhelm the skyline and that is not necessarily a good thing.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 3:53 PM

This is what I would've loved to see myself. I think the current design is nice (not world changing, but nice), but feels a little bulky, not unlike the Bow. A single tower design...even if its not completely the height of the two towers, would've helped to stretch out the building, as well as the skyline. My fear is that the height of the tower will go down and become even more bulky....again not unlike what happened with the Bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
A lot of people were sure EAP was going to suck IIRC
It doesn't necessarily suck, but I think it's still a rather sizable pile of Meh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates